CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Jordan Simmons

Profile:
Thinking about SS

Quick question for some people. I have been avidly crossfitting for over 2 months now and I am loving the changes my body is going through. I have been getting stronger by doing the WODs, but I am still lacking strength in some areas. I am currently 6'3" 195 pounds at about 8% bf, so I'm pretty leaned out and I am slowly getting leaner using Zone/Paleo. My CFT is 835 and I would like to break into 900 before my year anniversary.(ulimate goal is 1000) I have no problems with the heavy weight some WOD's call for and I am able to get them done pretty quickly. Ultimately, I would like to put some weight on (about 20+ pounds) and increase all my lifts. Will Starting Strength help me do this or will I need to tailor it differently to my needs? I know I am in the Intermediate strength category, so I didn't know if SS would apply to me. I am willing to do GOMAD, but I want to eat as healthy as possible. After I reach my goals I will end up going back to CrossFitting, but I want to test out SS and see what happens. Let me know what you guys think and any tips would be great. I don't know if it helps, but here are the current weights for each of my lifts:

Squat: 280(weak)
Press: 150
Deadlift:405
Bench:250
Power clean: 195
Old 12-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
Jason Ackerman

Profile:
Re: Thinking about SS

Based on what you have said, I believe SS would definitely help you improve your weights. It will definitely help you out. I am above the advanced level in every lift and I continue to make gains with SS.

As for the weight gain, you know what you have to do. Eat more, or GOMAD.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

just fyi (someone will clarify this, may as well be me!):

The Intermediate category is an indicator of your training history more than your absolute strength levels. Some folks can go straight to Intermediate or higher with very little form practice, but they're still 'Novices' in terms of the program i.e. their biggest, fastest gains are still to come.

The key question should be: are you still making linear gains on the main lifts?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Jordan Simmons

Profile:

Thanks for clarifying what intermediate means Cormac. My form is pretty dialed in on most of my lifts. I have been lifting since I've been in the Military(6years) and once I started CrossFit at the local Affiliate the trainers there helped me quote a bit with my form.
As for Linear gains, I continue to make gains each time we do CFT or 3x5 or 5x5 WOD days. So I figure at the rate I'm going I will make 900 pretty soon. My deadlift, press, and clean tend to go up in weight faster than my squat does. I'm gonna wait and see how the next few months go and once I start to plateau or regress in weight I will probably start SS and see how it goes. I'm just not looking forward to my grocery bill. What kind of calorie intake am I looking at?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Alex Bond

Profile:

I didn't make real progress until I was over 4000 calories a day. I didn't eat as good of a diet as you do, so you might only need 3500 cals of Zone/Paleo + dairy, but when in doubt, eat more.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

I only started SS a few weeks ago but as far as calories go Rippitoe reccomends about 7000. It seems like a lot (because it is) but the GOMAD is like 2600 by itself. You should check out his Q&A on ************.com (wfs).
He also says that its impossible to eat that many calories completely 'clean'
so expect to be making some trips to mcdonald's even if you hardly ever used to eat like that before.