CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #921
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaud View Post
So is there some alternative I could/should look into or should I take this to mean that you both believe that work additional to the WODs is overtraining?

I did 2-a-days 3 days a week a year or so ago and was enjoying the results up until I had a surgery and had to dial back. (Injury was unrelated to the training). I am just now back to the point where I feel confident starting up a program additional to the WODs.
The thing is, GSLP is not a "supplemental" program, it is a comprehensive one. If you've read the literature, you've seen that conditioning (WODs) is covered in the program. 2 high-intensity conditioning sessions are pretty much what is recommended, 3 at the most.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #922
Adam Michaud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
The thing is, GSLP is not a "supplemental" program, it is a comprehensive one. If you've read the literature, you've seen that conditioning (WODs) is covered in the program. 2 high-intensity conditioning sessions are pretty much what is recommended, 3 at the most.
I've read what I can during lunch at work with a bunch of blocked sites. Thanks for the follow-up. I'll take it all into account if I can't find a "supplemental" program that fits what I am looking for.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #923
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Could do 5/3/1, one lift a day. That's usually doable for supplemental work, since it's designed to be less aggressive than GSLP. Still, if you really want to get stronger, 4-5 conditioning workouts a week isn't going to be ideal no matter what strength work you do.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #924
Ryan Graham

Profile:

Decided I'm gonna get on GSLP for basically as long as possible to increase my lifts.

Couple of questions though before I begin;
-Is it possible to add skill work (Double Unders, Handstands, Snatch and OH Squat) On top of the 3 workouts and 2 conditioning sessions I'm going to be doing each week? And when should I do the skill work, before or after the days workout? Or will even 15-20mins of practising these stress my system too much?

-For the frequency work, should I still be doing FM chins on days I'm doing chins in the workouts? (Press days), I was planning on doing Pushups and days where there are chins in the workout, Chins the days theres no chins in the workout and doing both press ups and chins the other days.

Cheers
Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #925
Adam Carlson

Profile:

The FM work should be done with sets that aren't going to destroy you for the barbell work. For example, if your max push ups are 20, then don't start with sets of 10 or more. Start with 5 sets of 5 throughout the day and GRADUALLY add more sets or reps. Same for chins. If you start slow enough, you won't mess up the barbell lifts or the weighted chins.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #926
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Assuming it's truly skill work (i.e. it's not very heavy in an absolute strength sense) it shouldn't stress your system too much because it should be mostly a neurological adaptation....sorta like getting the muscle memory to type faster or play the piano better.

DUs and handstand work can be thrown in pretty much anytime, including daily warmups. You can do power snatches or snatches at fairly heavy loads for warmups before your deadlifts. OHS would work ok as warmups for your squats since it's unlikely you're capable of OHSing enough weight to make you tired for your squat sets...the limiting factor will most likely be either your mobility or your ability to support the weight overhead, not your leg/hip strength.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #927
Ryan Graham

Profile:

Adam- Thanks for the info, I know to do 'easy' sets but wasn't sure about doing FM chins the same day as weighted chins, thanks for clearing that up.

Jeff- Yeah as a beginner to the oly lifts (and a beginner with too poor mobility to properly OH squat) I'll be doing them during the warm up with light weights just to try and ingrain the movements more than anything.

Also plan on doing power cleans as warm up for the deadlift days
Old 08-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #928
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Graham View Post
Adam- Thanks for the info, I know to do 'easy' sets but wasn't sure about doing FM chins the same day as weighted chins, thanks for clearing that up.

Jeff- Yeah as a beginner to the oly lifts (and a beginner with too poor mobility to properly OH squat) I'll be doing them during the warm up with light weights just to try and ingrain the movements more than anything.

Also plan on doing power cleans as warm up for the deadlift days
if you want to do it then i suggest you drop a few dollars and actually get the ebook. the 2nd edition will lay it all out for you so there are no questions. also not a bad idea to get the viking workouts so you can just have some workouts to use for conditioning. if you take a look at the "12 weeks" series then you will have an idea of the way a complete program might be structured with all the layers added in. it may seem like alot of money up front, but if you could easily get 2 years worth of complete programming between the resources so it is a pretty good deal.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #929
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Got one of my boys on GSLP starting over from scratch after reaching 140kg squat earlier in the year http://strengthvillain.com/forum/vie...hp?f=11&t=4742 wfs
Old 09-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #930
Will Feber

Profile:

Slowly feeling like it might be time to move onto some other program, especially because of squatting. At 83kg bw my 5RM for the squat is currently 150k and it starts to feel brutal and miserable to do 3 sets across.

I would be perfectly happy with slower gains with the squat and deadlift (205kg 1RM), but my press and bench is pretty terrible and needs a lot faster gains (90kg bench, 62kg press). Aside from that I also want to properly learn how to power clean and make gains there and do some basic gymnastic movements.

What do you guys recommend? Just suck it up and continue with GSLP? Switch to 531 and hopefully have the assistance exercises add some extra gains to my bench and press? Any other alternatives? Thanks