CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
Joe Shininger

Profile:
Absolutely fell apart during Fran today...need advice

Background: I had to take some time off to adjust to the start of a new semester, but I have been hitting it regular for about 2 weeks, and for several months prior to starting school. My PR is 4:03, but today I literally couldn't finish. It took me 4 minutes just to get TO the second set of pullups...obviously, something has changed. I could use some advice about what might have happened, and how I can fix it. The thrusters and pullups were extremely taxing-lightheaded, nauseous, gassed quickly. On the one hand, I suspect that I am de-conditioned. However, I was not mentally prepared for Fran...I basically just walked in and did it, and was very nervous and distracted before I started. Add to that the fact that my diet is sort of scattered right now, and it's a possible explanation. Any advice? Should I rest up, Zone for a few days and attack it again, or is there something else going on?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Brett Dartt

Profile:
Re: Absolutely fell apart during Fran today...need advice

my PR is nowhere near yours. but i got sick and took 3 weeks off and the EXACT same thing happened to me. i only got halfway through the second set of thrusters. then the next time it came around i set a new PR by 2 minutes to a sub 10 minute number now. (woohoo!) probably just the time off coupled with an off day. thats what i chalked it up to anyways
Old 10-02-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Hard to tell much from a single workout. There's a range of possibilities. Best thing to do is to chalk it up to a bad day and try again in a week or two. If it's something wrong in a larger sense, it will show up in your other workouts.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Joe-
When I took a month off this summer, it took me nearly a month to get my met-con back, and about 5-6 weeks to see my strength as being "equal" to what it was prior to my break.

When I did Fran, after the time off, it was probably 5-6 weeks (I'd have to check my log) after I was back, and I was within 6 seconds of my PR... however, I must reiterate that I was BACK and I had been back in every aspect: Zone, hitting the WOD 4-5 days per week, etc.

Chalk it up to having a bad day - everyone has them.
Hit Fran again when she comes up.