CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-15-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Mike Groth

Profile:
Critique my deadlift

http://www.youtube.com/...h?v=_yJU4lDwi1k (might be able to hear some swearing in the music otherwise w/f safe)

I'm 6'4" and this was my last 1RM deadlift at 406lbs. It was a 35lb pr and overall it felt pretty easy. Id like to get a little feedback from some of you. Sorry for the quality of the video it was taken with a cell phone. I'll try to get a better one taken next time I do deads.

Last edited by Mike Groth : 09-15-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Bryan Gates

Profile:
Re: Critique my deadlift

Link failure. It looks like you coped and pasted a truncated version of the link of your video.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Mike Groth

Profile:

Sorry bout that...try this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJU4lDwi1k
Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Bryan Gates

Profile:

Hard to tell from the video, but a few things:

1) Your back is not in extension at any time. Your lower back is somewhat rounded and your upper back is very rounded. Your lower back does not appear to round any more than at the start so you probably wont develope an injury, although the risk is higher than when it is truly neutral. This could just be hamstring tightness that does not allow lower back extension in that position. The rounding is significant though and I would work on this jsut to be safe.
The upper back is not really an issue. The main thing to worry about is the lower back. DL competitors often DL with a very rounded upper back due to the fact that it allows the hips to be higher and allows you to lift more weight without actually being stronger. If you compete I would say stick with it. If you are jsut trying to get stronger then I would work on full neutral extension.

2) As you begin to pull off the ground the shoulders do not rise with the hips, which results in a flattening of the back angle and becomes more of a stiff leg DL than a conventional DL. The fact that you completed the lift despite this means that, once you get the shoulder/hips in sync, you should be able to lift more weight.

3) Not really a big issue but technically if the chest isnt up at the end of the DL then the lift is not complete. I doubt a PL comp would red light it though.

4) Its difficult to get any more detailed than that because of video quality.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Mike Groth

Profile:

Thanks for the input. I know its hard with a video of poor quality. I have been working on my back rounding issue which has gotten better. I'm also going to try to setup with the hips a little lower and try to pull with my legs and back in synch.

I'll try to post up a better quality video once I can find someone to film it for me.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
Chris Walls

Profile:

Also, we don't count them here if you don't set it down. Dropping it from the top is only half the rep. Just remember that it weighs the same going down as it does going up so keep form appropriate!
Old 09-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
Bradley Allan Martyn

Profile:

Even harder controlled on the way down!