CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
Jonathan Cain

Profile:
Re: Dead lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
This is an image of the starting position. Might I suggest getting a copy of Starting Strength? I will say that dropping a deadlift is good way to get kicked out a gym, especially the kind of gym that likes deadlifts.
Ok I ve seen that picture, and dozens other like it... as far as I could tell before I saw the vid, I was doing it right.
On the dropping, hey thanks for tip..never new that it was against the rules to drop it once it was up. Never been coached before.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
Chadron Edwards

Profile:

I've had a similar experience with the rounded back and seemingly no problems from it. It really sucks, but all the people who know (e.g., Jacinto and others at CFNYC) tell me to go down in weight and keep the back straight. As I understand it, with rounding the back like we both do, you are not using the strongest muscles for the job and are bound to either stop making any gains (plateau) or damage something (ouch).

I had to drop down to a lot less weight before I could get it right. It was extremely frustrating to restart at bodyweight while the other guys were pulling 2x+ what I was doing, but it beats the alternative.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #13
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:

I had a class on industrial safety and ergonomics last semester and one thing I took from it is that you definitely want a straight back when you lift. The amount of stress our intervertebral disks can take is limited to so much weight (I can't remember the number nor do I have my notes in my current location) and bending your back like you are is stressing them way more than a straight back would. Suffice it to say that the force multiplier that part of the surface area of your disks are getting from that angle is greater by orders of magnitude than the entire surface area of your disks would receive from a straight back. This isn't a matter of how much your muscles can lift--and they are definitely capable of lifting more weight than your disks will ever be able to withstand.

In other words, if you keep doing that, it isn't a matter of if, but when you blow a disk[s]. I'm astounded that you haven't with that kind of weight already. I encourage you to do whatever you must to get a straight back while doing deadlifts or stop doing them if you cannot.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:24 AM   #14
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I dont' want to be a hater, but that rounded back made me nervous watching just the video that you were going to get injured. I would def take the advice given here; drop the weight and fix the back and gradually work your weight back up. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:41 AM   #15
Jason David

Profile:

Pretend that you just got splashed with a very cold bucket of water...Keep that posture. Now do your deadlift...
Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #16
Jerry Maestas

Profile:

I am no coach, but from the video it appears that for your body type you aren't getting low enough to get your back straight when you initiate your pull. If you drop your butt more and stick out your chest, I think you will find that you can better position yourself for the pull. Do a couple of vids with just the bar and keep going up until you see your form break again, and then you will know at what weight to continue working up from.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #17
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M Struck View Post
You're back extension, particularly towards the lumbar end, is going to need some serious work. You will pull another 150lbs when you get it right, no problem.

But you should be taking a seriously big step back and going into remedial mode.

Ever seen the superman?

http://www.criticalbench.com/exercis.../superman4.jpg

maintain this sensation while pulling
Werd. Also, do back extensions and really focus on tightening the back at the top.

The key is to "Set your back!" before the lift. I thought I had decent form until Rip punched me in the lower back to show me how it's REALLY supposed to be set. Get SS, best $30 you'll ever spend on your weightlifting career. You're a huge dude, don't stress out about resetting the weight and working back up with good form - you'll zoom by your current PRs in short order. It'll be important when you start pulling 600. And for the love of all things holy, don't be "that guy" that drops the bar from the top.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #18
Jonathan Cain

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
Werd. Also, do back extensions and really focus on tightening the back at the top.

The key is to "Set your back!" before the lift. I thought I had decent form until Rip punched me in the lower back to show me how it's REALLY supposed to be set. Get SS, best $30 you'll ever spend on your weightlifting career. You're a huge dude, don't stress out about resetting the weight and working back up with good form - you'll zoom by your current PRs in short order. It'll be important when you start pulling 600. And for the love of all things holy, don't be "that guy" that drops the bar from the top.
Ill do some vids this weekend with lighter weight and see what happens
Old 09-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #19
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Cain View Post
Until I saw this video I had no idea it was so off. Im just not sure how to fix it now that Ive seen it.

As others have said use less weight...your back hip angle should be very similar between cleans and deads. Would love to see a clean with that back.
You are hauling reasonable weight but not getting the desired training effect.

Also as a matter of interest where do you train, that you don't get thrown out dropping so much, and it does not look like rubber.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #20
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I only drop it on pulls and high pulls.

Dropping the deadlift doesn't allow you to work the motion meaning you are doing half the workload. It can be thought of as a negative I guess, and it helps build a helluva lot of strength. In fact, it can actually be tougher to lower, especially near max loads. I saw this quite a lot of the games with some of the females who were super cautious about lowering it because they were so near their max or tired out ( obviously, they should have not been doing the rx'd weight ).