CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #11
Bryan Gates

Profile:
Re: Back Squat...

Is that a Rippetoe style backsquat? If so then I think you need to do some TUBOW drills. It looks like your knees are coming too far forward and traveling forward the entire descent. This removes the hamstrings from being primary movers and lessens the weight you can move.

The first 160 attempt was very close, maybe 1 inch off.

Also it looks like you are getting a bit loose in the bottom of the squat. Do you use the Valsalva maneuver? Basically you take a deep breathe, close the glottis, and squeeze against that cushion of air with your abs. When you squeeze the abs and the torso does not hunch over that means you are also squeeze your erector spinae. This muscle contraction and the held breathe cushions your spine and makes the torso very rigid. The more rigid you are the higher the weight you can move.

Also you totally gave up on that last rep... you had it. You gotta grind through that crap.

Also it is not unsual to rest up to 10 minutes between 1RM attempts. Rest as long as you need to.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Walter Brook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin Kellerman View Post
Hum, that's probably good advice. 150 just felt so 'easy' I jumped... Actually the first time I had ever had 160 on a bar and been under it!!!

Karin

First time with that much weight it might be in your head. Try it again after. Also how long did you wait inbetween attempts, maybe its was too short and you weren't ready yet. Good luck!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #13
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
I have to set a timer to make sure I rest 2 minutes between efforts, otherwise I only give it like 30 seconds... Don't underestimate the rest time in the ME stuff.
I couldn't agree more, except to say I would rest even longer than that. I am in the middle of a SS cycle and if I do not rest at least 8 min between my squats I will fail on my third or fourth rep (i also have to time myself cause otherwise i go to early). Though singles may not need as much time since you are only really working the Creatine phosphate pathway and it is the only one that needs to recover. Either way I just wanted to second what Chris say and add maybe even more rest is needed

-Robert
Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #14
Chris Walls

Profile:

I limit it to 2 minutes only because I need to make sure everyone gets done on time heh... But I would cap it out at around 7 or 8 minutes... any more then that and you risk cooling off.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:28 AM   #15
Jason M Struck

Profile:

3-4 is probably ideal around 90+%.
5-6 may be nice for PR attempts.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 PM   #16
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I dunno, from my time spent on the ************ forums Rip recommends a minimum of 5 min rest but preferably 8 min in between sets of 5 at 90-95% 5RM. On top of that at least in my own experience when I have played with rest times if I wait 3-5 min i will fail on the next set but when i wait 8-10 i finish the next set. It depends what metabolic pathway you want to hit and the individual, but when doing strength sets better to err on the side of too much rest than too little. That has been my experience at least

-Robert
Old 08-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #17
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

I agree with most here that your form is pretty solid. I also think you could have that last rep. That's the sticking point for me, where the weight often wants to collapse the torso forward. Think about driving from the heels while keeping that chest upright. This will help reengate the big muscles of the glutes and hamstrings, instead of leaving you relying on the relatively weaker quads.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:22 AM   #18
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Thanks for all the insight... I do think I took enough rest, but I am going to use a stopwatch next time!!

Karin
Old 09-30-2008, 02:50 AM   #19
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

I hit 175 with no problem last week.... I just didn't give up!!

Karin
Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #20
Lou Cabales

Profile:

great form

only thing i'd change is more neutral head position.

maybe a slight breath issue, try few deep breaths, hold or try thinking to lower the breath into core.

save the exhale/grunt/scream 'till over the hump, maintains pressure.

on last squat right before failure your hips are rising, then hip angle stops opening up, while knee angle continues. might indicate core,hip ext issue in that lift.

TUBOW!!!!!!! (Terribly Useful Block Of Wood) i don't have SS (yet)can some one explain please?