CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #6541
Chris Westfield

Profile:
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

So one of the trainers at my globo approached me on a particular slow day. I was wearing my crossfit shirt. He asked what that was about. Rather excited, I get half way into my sentence explaining it thinking he was genuinely interested, he cuts me off. "I know what crossfit is. How long you been a member here?" I suppose he was referencing why I would wear such a shirt here. Anyway, I state, "Been here a year." He asked, "how's your experience?" "Not bad." I replied. So then he pitches me on training with him. He asked on average how long my work outs were. I said after warmup, 20 minutes or so. Then he's like, "what would you say if I could give you a better workout in 15 minutes." I said, "You probably could." My point being you can push some one to exhaustion by throwing the kitchen sink at them. Anyway, I ended up not working out with him that day and did the main WOD.

Thought about finding him later and asking him to take me through the ringer of training with the globo trainer. Couldn't find him. I may hit him up later in the week. My only caveat is I need to know the workout in advance. Heck I should invite him to do a crossfit WOD.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #6542
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Westfield View Post
So one of the trainers at my globo approached me on a particular slow day. I was wearing my crossfit shirt. He asked what that was about. Rather excited, I get half way into my sentence explaining it thinking he was genuinely interested, he cuts me off. "I know what crossfit is. How long you been a member here?" I suppose he was referencing why I would wear such a shirt here. Anyway, I state, "Been here a year." He asked, "how's your experience?" "Not bad." I replied. So then he pitches me on training with him. He asked on average how long my work outs were. I said after warmup, 20 minutes or so. Then he's like, "what would you say if I could give you a better workout in 15 minutes." I said, "You probably could." My point being you can push some one to exhaustion by throwing the kitchen sink at them. Anyway, I ended up not working out with him that day and did the main WOD.

Thought about finding him later and asking him to take me through the ringer of training with the globo trainer. Couldn't find him. I may hit him up later in the week. My only caveat is I need to know the workout in advance. Heck I should invite him to do a crossfit WOD.
is it annoying when trainers at your globo try to get you as a client? im a new PT at a globo and all i do is go an chat to people around the gym trying to get clientelle. not sure if its annoying them or increasing my chance at getting clients.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 09-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #6543
David Baxter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
is it annoying when trainers at your globo try to get you as a client? im a new PT at a globo and all i do is go an chat to people around the gym trying to get clientelle. not sure if its annoying them or increasing my chance at getting clients.
which globo mate ? I might come down for some programming
Old 09-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #6544
Steve Bray

Profile:

lords in subiaco
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 09-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #6545
Chris Westfield

Profile:

Quote:
I personally don't mind it but they pitched me when I joined. The pitch was a free body assessment then talk about goals. I politely declined and the trainer gave me a look like I was crazy.

I was more put off by he wasn't actually interested in crossfit when he started the discussion. I personally think folks who are more receptive to personal training are those that are intimidated by the gym atmosphere or need motivation. I don't fit that model. Also the money spent on personal training I'd rather put towards joining an affiliate.

Again I might hit him up on a free workout, who knows maybe he has something better than crossfit...
Old 09-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #6546
Vince Mannella

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Westfield View Post
Again I might hit him up on a free workout, who knows maybe he has something better than crossfit...
Hardcore BOSU-ball bicep curls?
Old 09-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #6547
Craig Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
As long as they are not pushy i don't mind.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #6548
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Ben - walking on a treadmill WILL do something for you, regardless of your fitness level. Is it the ideal training method for increasing your squat/deadlift or improving your Fran time? Probably not. But it is good for you nonetheless.

I wasn't there in person, so I'm not saying that this is what those ladies were doing, but fasted walking in the AM is helpful, even if it's only a little bit, at bringing down body fat. Would I want someone to do ONLY that? No, but it's a good place to start, and many people from a variety of different athletic and training backgrounds (including CFers) have used that as a way to help reach some of their goals.

Don't knock it too quickly.
Walking is fine. It's healthful. It burns some calories. Can be relaxing. But if you have gotten to the point where you think it is a WORKOUT then things in your world need to change.

I read an article about bone density in the elderly, and what do they cite as one of the best ways to maintain bone density? Really the only thing the article was recommending? Walking. Not lifting weights. Walking. My 57 year old mother is worried about falling apart as she ages; my advice was not "walk more and stop worrying". It was to deadlift, among other lifts, which she is now doing, and feeling great as a result of. And I guarantee it's doing more for her bones than all her trips out with the dog.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #6549
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Walking is fine. It's healthful. It burns some calories. Can be relaxing. But if you have gotten to the point where you think it is a WORKOUT then things in your world need to change.

I read an article about bone density in the elderly, and what do they cite as one of the best ways to maintain bone density? Really the only thing the article was recommending? Walking. Not lifting weights. Walking. My 57 year old mother is worried about falling apart as she ages; my advice was not "walk more and stop worrying". It was to deadlift, among other lifts, which she is now doing, and feeling great as a result of. And I guarantee it's doing more for her bones than all her trips out with the dog.
I would agree with this. However, it is unfortunate that most doctors will prescribe walking over deadlifting and squatting as a healthy activity to people worried about things like this, as the 2 latter options are a hell of a lot more effective at keeping your bones nice and strong.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #6550
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post

Right, you won't get any argument from me there. I also don't think it's worth paying tons of money to go walk on the treadmills at a gym when it is free to do outside. Gym = place where hard work is done.

My main issue is with someone dismissing the benefits of walking or hiking or something along those lines without knowing better.