CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
Leslie Ap

Profile:
Globo-gym issues

Ok, I need to vent...
I know everyone is sick of the meat-market atmosphere in the franchise gyms, and having to ask someone if you can use that bench or bar while they lean on it during another extended rest... Today, a woman crowded me a bit while I was doing burpees. She proceded to yell at me "oh, it's YOUR space, it's YOUR space." Of course, me witty response came promptly after pulling out of the parking lot. Sigh. I feel better.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:06 AM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Globo-gym issues

My advice - drop the globo-gym and come to Crossfit Portland. You most definitely won't get yelled at for doing burpees there.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
Schach VanSteenberg

Profile:

Thats is why i wake up at 4:30A.M. and go to the gym in the area thats 24hrs (no affiliate in the area). Almost noone is there and those that are don't get in my way (in turn i don't get in theirs).
Old 11-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
David Vessey

Profile:

I think the best response I've gotten:

"Vessey, you're about the only person I've ever seen do burpees outside of group PT"

I can't complain though, being military at a military gym is relatively CrossFit friendly.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Allan Luomala

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vessey View Post
I think the best response I've gotten:

"Vessey, you're about the only person I've ever seen do burpees outside of group PT"

I can't complain though, being military at a military gym is relatively CrossFit friendly.
You have obviously never been to Borden. I have run afoul of The System here on no less than 3 occasions, the latest being today, when I brought in my home made plyo box for the Filthy Fifty (I ended up doing box jumps on an unstable ab workout bench: oh the irony ). They have zero tolerance for anything they don't understand. It's amazing, because Gagetown was awesome for allowing CrossFit.

Here in Borden I get the "it's a training base", "we have recruits here", "this isn't an army base", "we have a mixture of military and civilians using the facility", and "we don't want you to hurt yourself" as the justification for not allowing anything that falls outside of spin class, swiss ball, elliptical, Nautilus, etc: just like the Globo-gyms that civilians complain about. Only when a civilian complains (at a Globo gym), it ends there: when I complain, my chain of command gets notified (which has happened once, and I can only imagine what will happen on the second encounter).

And of the 2 other CrossFitters that I have bumped into (both visiting from other bases: Petawawa and Trenton), both have had similar issues here in Borden, so, yes, Borden is likely the exception to Canadian bases, but I'm stuck here for the next 2 years (or more, depending on if my wife is posted here after her course)!!! If that happens, I am going to open an affiliate. Unless I can recruit enough people to create the critical mass required to cause the drones here to reconsider (or it gets rammed down their throat): my daydream lately is to have the CDS decree that EVERY base will have a CrossFit facility on it. Dare to dream....

Rant off...

Allan

P.S At least here, David, my CrossFit-themed rantings won't get me banned (unlike Army.ca)
Old 11-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Steve Sheffar

Profile:

Allen,

There is an affliate in Barrie that you could probably get to. I work at CFB London and the gym there is really good at allowing CF crazies in there. I try to get more people involved but they think I am nuts.

http://web.mac.com/crossfitsimcoecou...y/Welcome.html

WFS
Old 11-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
Allan Luomala

Profile:

Steve,

Thanks for the tip on CF-Simcoe, but I already know about him (he was at the Toronto cert: Matt Tomlin). The issue in my case is proximity (he is about 25 minutes away, and the base gym is 5 minutes) and timing: I am allocated time during the work day to train, whereas Matt's gym (his garage) isn't open all the time. I am hoping to, by force of will, or leading by example, persuade enough people to work out, a la CrossFit, so that The System accomodates the masses. I'm not getting a warm-fuzzy feeling though, as I am the lone voice in the wilderness here, it seems.

AL
Old 11-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
David Vessey

Profile:

Wow Allan, that's brutal... hopefully I don't end up spending too much time in Borden.

I've been relatively lucky here. The gym in Kingston is very oriented toward spin class, elliptical, etc. but they seem to tolerate us crazy kids who bring in rings and put weight over our heads. There are a few CrossFitters among the cadet wing as well as from the Base.
My chain of command has also been very supportive. PSP decided to lock up the rubber plates and wouldn't let OCdts have the key, my Capt and I almost have a solution in place. Maybe I'm too young and idealistic, but is there any chance your CoC could do anything?
It's frustrating to no end, and I'm sure you have a few more stories than I, that the majority of "Personnel *Support* Program" staff are often so difficult to work with.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
Allan Luomala

Profile:

David,

You definitely would be wise to avoid the Borden gym. I am not sure what the problem is with "them", but they are in a different world here. If it isn't the "standard" safe PT (very similar to the civilian globo-gym model I presume) they seem to have a deep suspicion of it. And treating people like children!!! Being told that it is "for my own safety" is the biggest joke I can imagine. I think that they are so afraid of somebody getting hurt, it has caused them to be paralyzed by fear of anything that might hurt anybody. This hand-holding nanny-state mentality is definitely a dis-service to the soldiers, sailors and airmen/women that are training here. At some point, these people are going to experience real danger, and if they are so cossetted and protected in the gym, they will definitely not be ready for the big-bad world. But what do I know, I'm only an army guy (soon to be a retired army guy)????

Speaking of locking up the bumper plates: that is what they did here as well, apparently. So, in the interest of nobody getting hurt, thousands of dollars of equipment is locked up. The irony is that the base gym has a "Bleachers" (restaurant/bar chain) attached to it, and there are people drinking their asses off, and jamming greasy deep fried food down their neck, but that's OK. Oh, the irony....

I have moaned to my CoC about this, and I have basically been told to not rock the boat (my WO even went so far as to say "If you don't like it [the gym and it's policies], don't go there!!!"... yeah, that'll work). I am hoping my insurgency approach will do it: I wear a CrossFit t-shirt as often as I can, do my workouts during peak hours (where feasible: Linda is definitely not one to do at rush hour), and just try to lead by example. I even had one young guy ask to try the rings today (30 muscle-ups for time). Slowly, but surely, I think "they" might come around. I found out from the CF-Simcoe County affiliate (in Barrie) that he has had 3 inquiries from people on base, so I am going to contact them. I am thinking of getting permission for a base-wide "broadcast" email, and having a lunch-time meeting, to get a "critical mass" of people, and embark on an assault of the "suggestion box" route: maybe "They" will listen to the masses, and call the PSP HQ for permission to do what all the army bases (and select non-army bases) are already doing: approve CF workouts in their facility. I will have to keep fighting the good fight, I guess....

AL
Old 11-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #10
Daniel Fannin

Profile:

Allan,

Hang in there man. I had that issue too until I was referred to the main PT dude on base. I was referred there because I had shortness of breath when I wasn't working out. I had just started doing kettlebells (about a month's worth of experience). He was going through his standard briefing on exercise and nutrition when I piped up and said, "Have you heard of kettlebells?"

Fortunatley this guy cares very much about fitness for the general population. He's been pro-crossfit ever since. Maybe if you can find your equivalent you can have a talk with him. I've had issues with people at both gyms on my base, don't get me wrong...but you can always try.

Once you taste the Kool-Aid you just can't go back.