CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #21
Erin Davidson

Profile:
Re: Hello, I am a horrible rower.

Hello all!

Just wanted to bump this again and say I'm still taking your hints to heart. I rowed for 10 minutes yesterday (set out to row 10 min - without looking at the meter - and when I flipped it up at the last second I saw that I was a few hundred away from 2k!). I ended up rowing 2k in 10:46! Which is actually faster than my previous pace would have afforded me...but I SWEAR I was taking my ROYAL time on that thing! I was working up a good sweat and exerted some effort in the last 300m or so - but I wasn't really going for anything but form for the first 1700m! The recovery was SO sloooooow! I was actually counting in my head - which I found pretty soothing in the end really...

But basically - afterward my glutes were SCREAMING - which, frankly, has NEVER happened before while I've rowed. I didn't film it but I know this row was SCORES better. I'm going for a 15 minute row tomorrow post wod, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Just wanted to let you all know that your coaching is helping me tremendously - and further - our Tribal Members! I'm currently having some trouble teaching a new client (woman) who's consistently unable to use her legs...but instead of doing what I did (pulling a ton with my arms and mimicking the motion with my legs a bit) she's doing the "butt scoot" thing. Occasionally she catches a BIT more with her legs - but I've yet to see her really extend in the pull while actually working with her legs... I've talked her through a lot of this...but do any of you have any specific cues you use when coaching people with this particular habit?

And Lou, thanks for your additional comments - I like the idea of relaxing on the recovery as much as I can and storing the energy for the catch and pull with the legs... still honing my form and such - but I'll keep coming back here to make sure I'm covering all the bases. Again, THANKS!
Old 09-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #22
Matt Thacker

Profile:

Erin,

The difference in your first video and second is huge...much improvement. The only thing I can add is really focus on slowing down your strokes per minute and increasing your power by driving hard with your legs.

Matt
Old 09-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #23
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Thanks, Matt! I'll keep those hints in mind tomorrow - since I'll have 15 minutes to kill. I've actually got to post a new one - because now my form looks completely different than in that second video! I'm actually liking rowing too!