CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #21
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Re: Dead lifting.

Hey Bro...
The bar is to far from your body on initial set-up - you go into instant knee extension.

You prob drop the bar from the top because once upon a time you lowered it slow and took off a chunk off your knee from bending your knees forward instead of lower with hip/butt back.

Also...
Lowering a Max effort deadlift slowly is a good way to get hurt - guide the bar to the floor by popping your butt back- but don't fight it.

Learn a modified deadlift.
It will teach you proper hip function in the deadlift.
I have a video around someplace...

-jh
Old 09-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #22
Bradley Allan Martyn

Profile:

I don't understand what u were doing, wen you started to wiggle your legs....that's definitely not part of the motion, it should be smooth motion up AND the return past the knees down.

I just randomly searched youtube...here is a nice example of good form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPDWX...eature=related
Old 09-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #23
Frank E Morel

Profile:

I have to agree with the rest the boys here.
and to paraphase jacob "your a moose" cloud.
YOU are a huge dude, and if you can move that kind of weight in poor form, imagine what you can do when you have the whole package correct.

either find a coach .. and i found one on myspace
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=51057846
here is the gym
http://www.athleticrepublicmonroe.com/programs.asp
And pay the guy... once your paying someone for instruction they are going to help you. Those OTHER coaches.. were doing you lip service only.

other option is go back to step one line ...
relearn the whole move.
either start reading starting strength wiki or score the book.
and there is enough instruction videos from crossfit trainers online these days, you should be able to properly do the move or close to it. But eyes on is better.

watch the instruction videos..
then get someone to video you from multiple angles include your feet position as if your looking at your feet.
and tuck in your shirt into your pants.. need to see your back outline.. baggy shirts hide it.

Oh, one thing that no one touched on.... NEVER LIFT YOUR HEAD UP DURING THE LIFT. CHIN DOWN EYES DOWN.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #24
John Keiper

Profile:

I figured i would toss my two cents in for a slightly different view on things.
I could not see your grip on the left but if you are not using a over/under grip it will help you hang onto the bar. Or try using a hook grip if you can, this is probably the best. I personally use straps or a hook grip in trainning and a staggered grip in a competition.
Try to keep the weight on your heels. Some things that may help are keeping the head back and lifting the big toe up when you pull. You should concentrate on pulling back so that your own body weight helps counter balance the load on the bar. As warm-ups progress and you add weight you will feel less like you are going to fall backwards, but that is the feeling you are looking to get if that makes sense.
It is ok to pull with a rounded upper back but you do need to keep an arch in the lower. Back raises and good mornings can help with this greatly. Also heavy ab work. Breathe into your stomach and not your chest. If your shoulders rise when you take that last breathe you are doing it wrong. Breathe into the stomach and create a nice wide base. Also push your abs out against your belt if you use one.
Concentrate on your warm-ups. As they say: treat the light weight like thay are heavy and the heavy ones like they are light. Anyones form is going to be a little screwy on a true max effort, but their is a difference between slightly off and dangerous. Work on that arch. You cna probably already pull more that some of us giving advice. LOL!