CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-19-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
Brandyn Littleton

Profile:
Deadlift Form Check

this is 265lbs about 70% of my 1 rep max. looks like my back might be rounding a bit at the end. any other comments/critiques/suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C35PNhIs18
Old 09-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Deadlift Form Check

Notice how your hips raise up significantly before the you pick the bar up? Once you are set, any movement of your body should translate into movement of the bar. Set up with you hips higher. You can tell this position is not correct by the position of the bar with respect to the scapula. The bar should be directly under the scapula (arms back by about 5 degrees). Notice where the bar is when you begin to pull.

Do not arch your neck, look straight ahead, which at the bottom will mean you are looking at the floor.

Come down faster, the work in a deadlift is picking it up, not putting it down. Also, when you put the bar down, you can see the bar go forward around your knees. THis is because your path down is not the same as your path up. Try pushing you but back farther on the way down. Up is knees, hips, down should be hips knees.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Notice how your hips raise up significantly before the you pick the bar up? Once you are set, any movement of your body should translate into movement of the bar. Set up with you hips higher. You can tell this position is not correct by the position of the bar with respect to the scapula. The bar should be directly under the scapula (arms back by about 5 degrees). Notice where the bar is when you begin to pull.

Do not arch your neck, look straight ahead, which at the bottom will mean you are looking at the floor.

Come down faster, the work in a deadlift is picking it up, not putting it down. Also, when you put the bar down, you can see the bar go forward around your knees. THis is because your path down is not the same as your path up. Try pushing you but back farther on the way down. Up is knees, hips, down should be hips knees.
what he said.

Pick that butt up and get those shoulders in front of the bar for starting position

-Robert
Old 09-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

agreed with above comments.

Your back is rounded, remember chest up.. best example of this is to quote rip " **** ( pecs for the PC ) up". Show them off then it will cause your small of the back to engage properly.

Head and neck.. yes look down about 4 feet in front of you .. try one rep with a tennis ball under your chin, you will understand.

cant see the relationship of the bar to your shins, so will assume they are correct.. the bar practically rides up the shin bone.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
Brandyn Littleton

Profile:

thanks for the response. do any of ya'll have a link to a couple of good deadlifting videos that might show good examples in these aspects?
Old 09-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:

lie on the floor on your stomach. raise your arm and legs in the air at the same time... note how your small of your back tightens and feels? and curves inwards? THAT WHAT YOU WANT when you lift.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Chris H Laing

Profile:

I'm not an expert or anything but i think your shoulders need to be farther in front of the bar and your hips need to be higher before you start the lift.

You kinda swing your hips up as you start the lift, but they should already be that high.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
I'm not an expert or anything but i think your shoulders need to be farther in front of the bar and your hips need to be higher before you start the lift.

You kinda swing your hips up as you start the lift, but they should already be that high.
swing hips?

1-you feet are shoulder width apart, slightly point outwards.
2-Look down at your feet, the bar should be midfoot meaning almost touching your shin. Looking down it will be nearing the knot of your laces.
3-bend over grasp the bar with your hands and steady the bar
4- squat down and the bar should now make contact with the shin. reset the bar position if your shin knocks the bar out of place. (hence grab the bar first) this will result in your shoulders in front of the bar, and engage your back to tighten the spine.
5 grip the bar.
6 breath
7 pull straight by standing up. there is no swing. No arm yank.
the end.

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 09-20-2008 at 07:52 PM.