CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-29-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
Molly Jones

Profile:
5 foot mom, "Will cross fit make me too big?"

Here is the deal, I am 5 foot, 93 pds. I have been doing cross fit for about 3 weeks now and love it. I like that it provides a challenge for me and I have to work towards something. I want to be stronger and more defined, but I do not want bulk, I am only 5 ft. It looks like those in the pictures are quite strong and most big! How can I alter my routine to not gain bulk!

Nervously yours, Molly
Old 12-29-2007, 07:38 AM   #2
Veronica Davis

Profile:
Re: 5 foot mom, "Will cross fit make me too big?"

Hey Molly...

You are only going to get as big as your genetics allow. Natural women can only get so big... as opposed to women that use steriods. As far as photos go, the size of a person can be deceiving.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Molly,

On this page http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#WOD (wfs) scroll down until you see NASTY GIRLS and click on that. Watch that video and tell me if you think those woman are "too big."

Seriously, please do this, it will put your mind to rest. Crossfit is a system of functional movements, we do not train for a certain "look." Form follows function, so your body will take the shape that supports the stresses you impose upon it.

For most of us, strong doesn't mean big, as in bulk. Strong means lean.

Susie
Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Molly, a little muscle is a beautiful thing; I think the women you see in the videos like Nicole and Annie look great and it's pretty terrible that our cultural ideal favors soft, weak-looking women! But that's not what you asked.

95% of women will not get big on Crossfit. The ones who do have been training for years and years and/or have good genetics. I have found it to increase the size of my muscles, but I put on big muscles faster than many guys I know no matter what workout program I engage in, so I just have those genetics. You sound pretty tiny, so I'm going to guess you won't have a problem.

Also, if you think the women you see in the videos are too big, remember that they have been training for years and have been maintaining a really, really healthy, protein-rich diet. You've just started! You have a long, long way to go before you look like them.

Finally, if you really do fear the muscle, any muscle, then Crossfit is probably not for you. The program values fitness over appearance, it's not for toning and getting a Hollywood body.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Most men who want to be "big" do every thing they possibley can to achieve this goal and a modest percentage of them do. With a females hormone levels, and without eating like its your job you will not get huge. Women don't get huge from exercise. They get huge from lack of it.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:

If you're currently 93 pounds, even at 5' tall, I'd be VERY surprised if you put on a lot of muscle. But if you do, there's a pretty easy fix to that: don't eat enough to support undesired muscle-growth. Obviously this will affect your performance but it sounds like performance is secondary for you.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Molly Jones

Profile:

Hey thanks to all who responded. I am obviously a novice at this right now, but I love all the support. "Nasty Girls" is a goal I will shoot for. I will strike fear in my husband's eyes (or is that a different look?)
Old 12-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seiler View Post
If you're currently 93 pounds, even at 5' tall, I'd be VERY surprised if you put on a lot of muscle. But if you do, there's a pretty easy fix to that: don't eat enough to support undesired muscle-growth. Obviously this will affect your performance but it sounds like performance is secondary for you.
This is correct. If you don't eat for "bulk" you won't gain "bulk."

Although I disagree about performance being hindered unless you're severely underweight or overweight. If you keep it at caloric maintenance then you'll see a slow shift in body composition of dropping fat and adding muscle mass up to a point. Since muscle is actually denser than fat, it will make you thinner not bigger.

Plus, you lack the testosterone for large gains in muscle mass even if you ate for it.

Quote:
I will strike fear in my husband's eyes (or is that a different look?)
[insert predatory gleam in the eye here]

Last edited by Steven Low : 12-29-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

The "I'm Afraid Of Bulk" thing:

For most people adding 40 pounds of fat is about as difficult as falling off a log. People do it all the time.
Adding 10 pounds of muscle takes more hard work or injected testosterone than most women are willing to submit to. Not only that, but 10 pounds of muscle takes up less space than 10 pounds of fat. 10 pounds of new muscle on a woman is a certifiable Big Deal.

Tara Nott Cunningham was 104 pounds and 5'1" tall when she won the Olympic Gold medal in weightlifting. What do you think the chances are of going from where you are today to getting bulkier muscles than an Olympic weightlifting champion? Take your pick: Slim or none?
Old 12-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
The "I'm Afraid Of Bulk" thing:

Tara Nott Cunningham was 104 pounds and 5'1" tall when she won the Olympic Gold medal in weightlifting. What do you think the chances are of going from where you are today to getting bulkier muscles than an Olympic weightlifting champion? Take your pick: Slim or none?
Lincoln;
Good call.
Here is performance from Sidney 2000: W/F/S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tURLmEw-070