CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #11
Richard Owen

Profile:

Michael -

Hey thanks for the links. I think you're right that Grace may be a better overall comparison but I made this workout up with the whiney nature of these MMA Primadonna's in mind.
I knew they would complain that the benchmark exercise was less of a power comparison and more of a "lifting technique" comparison if I didnt keep it basic (like pushups). I didnt want them to complain that we are just testing mastery of "technique" since they dont normally do snatches and such lifts. Even the power clean is a bit unfamiliar to them - which (honestly) probably does disadvantage their times a small bit vs. typical crossfitter.

Let me know your time if you try it.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:47 AM   #12
Ralph Garcia

Profile:
Richard,

By any chance, do the Pros at your gym ever do the "Fight Gone Bad" workout? I've read that MMA guys use this to prepare for competitions. Maybe you could use this as a good comparison as well.

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000669.html
Old 05-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #13
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Thanks for the kind words. Richard, I'm 32 and weigh around 215#. FWIW, the 5th round took the longest for me. It was the only round where I had a broken set of power cleans (two sets of 5) and push-ups (11,4). Fatigue was definitely a factor. Another factor may have been that I knew I wouldn't 'need' the 20-30 seconds of rest at the end of that round - may have caused further pacing on a subconcious level.

I'm curious. Are the guys you have doing this workout using any rest-management schemes at all, or are they trying to blow through it all at once as quickly as possible. I think the fact that I knew I'd have some minibreaks helped me a lot.

Another option for this workout would be to sub ring dips for the push-ups (making it simliar to a 'fat Elizabeth'). They're not technical and I feel it would better balance out the times between lighter and heavier folk. Had I done these, I'm betting my time would have doubled, at least.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 05-18-2005, 01:57 PM   #14
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
so how much does a 115pounder have to clean? I'll give it a go!
Old 05-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #15
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Veronica,

You're going to make me do it to if you get a 115# version......:-)
Old 05-18-2005, 05:35 PM   #16
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
4:46. I smoked round one so I just stood around thinking I would recover a little. In hindsight, I wish I would have jumped the round two sooner.

I might have gone faster but not by much.

My son came in later in the evening with a 5:29. He has more top end. Last night he squat cleaned 305.

RUTMAN
6’ 200lbs age 45
Old 05-18-2005, 05:52 PM   #17
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Sweet work, Rutman!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:47 PM   #18
Richard Owen

Profile:

Holy @#@$@!!

We are in the presence of greatness.

Rutman -
4:46 is absolutely smokin'. Incredible! The best time so far.

The boys at the MMA Academy are humbled. I must say though, that I dont get the feeling that you and Ryan Atkins are "average" crossfitter's - so I'm going to be pretty interested in the other times that come in.

Ralph - these guys have not done Fight Gone Bad. You are right that there is a small group of fighters who are already into this - some at the elite level - But it's absolutely not a mainstream way to train in the broader MMA community. But its coming!

Ryan - these guys each plowed thru the workout in a full sprint and didn't attempt to pace themselves or rest at all, which is probably an example of how "protocol familiarity" does provide an advantage (however small) to the crossfitter who knows better. Also, in fairness to these guys, several had not done a power clean since highschool - so we're also looking at some advantage of muscle "neuro-specificity".
These boys are quick to point this out, but they are also humbled. And I feel an avalanche of conversion about to fall.
As for sub-ring dips... YES! that would provide better compensation for body weight differences, I just didnt think of it - and we dont have any rings handy at our gym.

Ladies - we do have a semi-Pro MMA female (she has a real job, but also fights MMA and is corporately sponsored). She is about 125 lbs. I'll get her to try it and see where she comes in. I'll have her try it with 85 lbs. She's quite a specimen and tough as nails.

Thanks all.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:39 PM   #19
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
OK, If I do a percentage of BW equal to Rutman did, that's 67.5%. 85lbs is 68% of 125, so that's 76lbs for me (weighed in at 113 today)

I'll hit this one tomorrow. Kelly are you in? :happy:
Old 05-18-2005, 11:15 PM   #20
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
Richard,
The flip side is that those "fit MMA guys" who can come close to 5 min are pretty darned fit.
Ryan and Rutman are near the top of the CF pack, especially for this kind of workout.
Nice going all around...
JK