CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-26-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
Marie Lohan

Profile:
I've just found a whey powder sweetened only with steiva. I've been following roughly a paleo diet and I know that whey powder is not 'in' the diet. However, what does one take after a workout to stop muscle wastage. I know whey is supposed to be good for this and even though its sweetened only with stevia am I better off without this and using something more natural, if there is something?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
Genevieve Gornicki

Profile:
Any good source of protein will feed your muscles with some of what they need post workout to prevent muscle loss.
I think it is a preference thing though. Powders... meat... I have heard good things about both.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:19 AM   #3

Profile:

if you want to use powder, try egg protein with no sweeteners. www.proteinfactory.com - you can basically "build" your own protein. it doesn't taste as good as a sweetened powder, but it's tolerable.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
What about Caseinate? That does not induce an insulin spike like whey will either right?
Old 06-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #5

Profile:

caseinate isn't as good of a protein as whey or egg
Old 06-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Greg,

That's a bit of a vague statement. Are you referring to biological value? If so, you are of course correct, but there is one major advantage that casein has over whey and egg - the fact that is it slowly absorbed. While whey has a profound effect on increasing protein synthesis in the short term, it does very little to prevent tissue break down in the long term. Casein is king when it comes to preventing tissue degradation and has been shown in various studies to be the ideal protein for promoting positive nitrogen balance. The ideal situation, IMHO, would be to integrate specific proteins in your diet at specific times in the day to reap their full benefits. Whey could be used PWO, egg anytime during the day, and casein when you know you wont be eating for hours on end or before bed. There's a time and place for every protein ;)