CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Hi,

I am 38 and went from 212 to 195 in the last year by walking, doing pushups, pull-ups, and squats. I have recently started cross fit and the zone/paleo 14/blk a day with fish oil. I am now down to 175. I am 6ft walk 5 miles a day every weekday and do a scaled wod 2-3 times a week. My question is what can I do to drop the last 10-20 lbs? I have read all sorts of stuff on the Message Board from coconut oil to eca stacks. What are the safest most conservative practical things I can do to kick off the last extra fat? My body really seems to enjoy and want to be fat :-)

Thanks
Kevin
Old 03-05-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Besides doing what you're already doing...you can add 30-45 mins of low intensity cardio (60 to 70% of your heart rate max), first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Fast to moderate paced walk, either on the treadmill or around the block will do.

Fyi, requires a shot of double expresso beforehand!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
According to my research:

add a "longer" duration exercise session at the 60% - 70% HR range. When I say longer duration I'm talking in the 2 hour range. Yup, I know its long, but this kind of activity over a period of some weeks / months (depends on your body) is supposed to cause a metabolic adaption towards fat burning. I'm in the process of experimenting with this right now... I will report results back in some months.

Intermittent fasting:
Search through the message boards for more info on this and get the performance menu article on this. your liver can only store ~ 12 hours worth of glycogen that is accessed to replenish the glucose supply in the blood that is primarily used by the brain. Once glycogen is deposited in the muscles, it's hard for the body to tap into, so when doing a fast, for the last couple of hours, your body will go into ketosis for a bit, this too over time creates a metablic adaption towards fat burning. I recall discussing this with Robb and he saying something about an adaption occuring in the mitochondria of cells that make them preferentially burn fat.

So what to do with all this? incorporate these into your life, then ensure that you are running on a caloric deficit and you should start dropping weight.

I feel your pain kevin, I've been trying to lose the last ~5 lbs for ages.

i've pumped up the coconut & CLA, added in 1 -3 IFs a week and do a longer duration cardio session once a week. (it's not actually 2 hours of one thing, but 1 hour of Oom Yung Doe class (martial art) following by a "cardio" session in the gym.

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Butttttt....doesn't a 2 hour long workout session defeat the whole purpose of Crossfit?

Isn't the Crossfit model based on short, highly intense training bouts?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
The purpose of Crossfit is General Physical Preparedness, not loss of body fat. Most people lose some bodyfat as a pleasant side effect.
Crossfit is a great tool for body fat reduction. Is the most optimal tool? i argue no. The 2 hour workout session is not something you would do everyday, it's a tool to create an adaption, as is crossfit.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:03 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Kevin, how many blocks are you consuming a day? Since losing the weight did you adjust your blocks down? A 600/225 pound man has different block requirements than a 600/175 pound man...we often tend to forget to adjust. If your block count is correct and you are doing 1X fat (with additional fish oil)...no cheat meals until you reach your goal, the Zone/CF should get you down there. You could tinker with quality of foods, go with only low fat "clean" proteins and vegetables, cut out some fruit (make up blocks with vegetables). Get rid of diet soda or any sweeteners (check with Robb Wolf on this one). You should be weighing and measuring all of your food intake. drink a lot of water. If your not doing all of this, I would get my nutrition house in order...prior to adding additional exercise. My worry with steady state cardio is muscle mass loss (not as big a deal with a 30-45 minute walk) and burnout.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:17 AM   #7
John Vivian

Profile:
i second Larry's advice. Steady state cardio (LSD -- long slow distance) work can have a determental effect on muscle mass and has little benefit to overall fitness, at least by CrossFit standards. If it is not already, get your food in order. Again, as Larry suggests, clean foods and lots of water. The tighter you are with your food (correct portion size, clean sources), the faster the results.

After things are taken care of in the kitchen, you can consider adding another workout to your week or upping the intensity during the 2-3 you currently do. That said, make sure that you increase your workload / intensity slowly and listen to your body for signs of over exertion.

john
Old 03-06-2006, 06:54 AM   #8
Paul Symes

Profile:
Why would you want to weigh 155Ibs at 6 ft? Do you want to look like a marathan runner?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #9
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Larry,

Here are my specs based on the zone calculator http://www.zoneperfect.com/site/cont...ulator_Men.asp

Weight 175
Height 72
Waist 37 at belly button relaxed
Wrist 6
Bf % 25
Lbm 131
Blks per day 15

I eat nothing but fruit and veggies. For carbs berries, apples, grapefruit, spinach, broccoli, zucchini… For protein I eat mostly chicken, tofu, fish, whey protein, and a little beef. Fat is almonds, cashews, peanut butter, olive oil and recently coconut oil. I sometimes use stevie as a sweetener but I read that adds to insulin resistance (Rob Wolf is this correct?). All I drink is water and allot of it. The walking is mostly functional “to and from work” is that “Steady state cardio”?

Paul, I don’t want to look like anything, I just want to lose more fat (25% is not healthy) so I can do more pull-ups and follow the wad more closely :-) Also I am getting older and all my fat seems to be abdominal fat, which I understand is very unhealthy. For me this is defiantly not an aesthetics issue.

Thanks guys,

This forum is truly amazing

(Message edited by kmckay on March 06, 2006)
Old 03-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #10
Greg Kemp

Profile:
I have a hard time believing your BF is that high. I would look to get it measured. If it is that high I would look to increase your muscle mass, which might in turn put on a few pounds to start, but in the long run lean you our and lower your BF.