CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Brett Emil

Profile:
Squat & Press Form Check

This is my first shot at getting some digital coaching. FYI, I am using GreySkull programming and slowly increasing the weight each week.

Don't mind the clutter of the garage, but it is all I have to work with. Also, I will work on getting a better camera and shot. First try!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q_-8flufYY&feature=youtu.be

Overall:
1. The press looks pretty good. I can see I am locking out fully at the top.
2. I have had some neck issues in the past with presses, but I seem to look straight ahead which is what I think I should be doing.
3. I think I might be going to deep on my squat and losing tension in by lower back, which will be an issue as I increase the weight.

Any feedback is welcome!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Squat & Press Form Check

Overall they looked good.

On both lifts, I'd want you being tighter from head to toe. You need to build tension so that press is coming off a steady base. For squatting you want a steady base so you can keep good positioning, if you get too loose in the squat it is easy to miss the groove. Some great lifters can master a fast drop, but you have to be careful.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Brett Emil

Profile:

Gotcha, tighten up in general and cut down on the wobble. Slow down on the descent for the squat, I have been trying to work on this and I see it to.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Adam Carlson

Profile:

i watched your press a couple of times, because there was something about it that didn't quite sit right with me. I would love to see a video from a side view so that I could see the bar path to make sure, but it seems, based on the angle of the video, that there might be a slightly curve in the bar path coming up from the bottom (basically, I didn't see much in the way of moving your chin/head out of the way of the bar, which made me wonder how the bar was moving up).

You're also bringing the bar pretty far down your chest, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but as your reps go on there's more movement in the bottom (elbows drifting in towards each other, then moving back out when you start to press, etc.), and I wonder if that extra movement might cause instability when the weight gets heavier, or how your shoulders/elbows will feel as you keep doing that. Maybe try not bringing the bar down on to your chest, but rather bring it below chin level and to shoulder level?

I could be wrong on those things, so I'll trust that others will correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I agree with Robert on being tight.
Press, befor you pick up the bar, tighten your core and chest and shoulders and pick up the bar tight, then tighten your glutes and legs, then there will be less of the swaying and a solid position to press.

I would like the bar higher too, I start the bar just under my chin, but that is me.

When pressing, aim the bar for your nose to the point you have to move your head out of the way, and bring it down that way too, close to the center of gravity.

The squat looked ok, not bad. SO this is a tweak, tight core, same as the press.
Befor you pick up the bar as you get under it, tighten your back and core , THEN pick up the bar and maintain the tightness in the walk back(also befor you pick the bar up, tighten your shoulders and chest int othe bar)
I hold my breath out of the rack till I get into position and maybe take a breath but still hang on to that tightness.

I break hips first the knees out and really push the tight core kind of like ( sorry for this) taking a dump kind of push to tighten the core.

I hope that helps.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Brett Emil

Profile:

Thanks Adam, I will try and take another video from the side angle when Presses come up again. I tried before but the Bumper Plates blocked most of the view.

Good to see a few people noticing the same thing about tightness in the core and whole body. Helps ensure it isn't just one person's opinion. I will work on being tight before I pick up the bar.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
Donald Joseph McCauley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Emil View Post
This is my first shot at getting some digital coaching. FYI, I am using GreySkull programming and slowly increasing the weight each week.

Don't mind the clutter of the garage, but it is all I have to work with. Also, I will work on getting a better camera and shot. First try!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q_-8flufYY&feature=youtu.be

Overall:
1. The press looks pretty good. I can see I am locking out fully at the top.
2. I have had some neck issues in the past with presses, but I seem to look straight ahead which is what I think I should be doing.
3. I think I might be going to deep on my squat and losing tension in by lower back, which will be an issue as I increase the weight.

Any feedback is welcome!
Brett,

Not bad overall.

The bar should be placed on the collerbone for every rep during any overhead press, push press or jerk. It is not supposed to be down on the chest. This will lead to too much strain on the elbows, wrists and eventually shoulderrs and back. Get that bar behind the front delt. mass and on that bone.

The squats looked pretty good. I like your rhythm and the fact that you are raising your torso as you ascend, keeping yourself as compact from front to back as you can. Back is nice and straight as well. Get rid of the shoes, however and get some real weightlifting shoes. They will give you stability and a heel.

Good luck.

Coach McCauley