CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Warren C Ellison

Profile:
Squat, PC, Press Form Check

2nd day of SS and would like to get some advice on my form. 2 herniated disk in my lower back has kept me from squats, deadklift, and powerclean for 10 years. No problems in 2 years so I want to give it a go again. I'm pretty sure I'm not going parrell on my squat. I need easy terms such as "lift with your butt" and "tilt your head back" instead of lumbar support or hip drive. I really don't know what they mean. I've ordered the book and have watched ripp's video on squat on the wiki. Thanks for the help

Press: Click Here
Squat: Click Here
PowerClean: Click Here

Here's a pic as well of the squat. I stopped at white line, but I think I should have gone to orange line. I drew the vertical line to see my head position in relation to my knee. Any advice welcomed here as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	squat check 3.gif
Views:	208
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2001  
Old 07-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Squat, PC, Press Form Check

Press

The top position is with bar over the center of gravity and the mid foot. Your's ended in front of your head. You arms should be close to next to your ears.
Your forearms should be perpendicular to ground at the begining. It looked like you elbows were back a little.

Squat

Your head should be in a neutral alignment, meaning your neck should be straight. Yours is down too far.
You were correct about the depth, go to the orange line.
Your heels are coming up off the ground at the bottom. Stop that. You are coming too far forward. The correct head position will help that. So will putting you butt back more and driving more with your hips.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Squat: your knees are coming forward at the bottom of the squat. This is causing you to come up on your toes and not get proper depth. your knees should stop moving forward after the first 1/3 of the decent and the rest of the depth should be achieved by sinking your butt back like you are sitting into a chair. And as said above you are looking too far down, look at a spot a few feet further away.

Press: really drive that head through after the bar clears it.

Power Clean: Don't jerk your body into the movement, It should start like a deadlift where you squeeze the weight up. When you relax and then jerk suddenly to start you will find yourself in bad posture and not able to correct it in the move, very bad

You should look over these sections in Starting Strength if you have it as a lot of the problems i saw are addressed there Keep working hard

-Robert
Old 07-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

Thanks guys this is some great advise. I get what you are saying about my knees are moving forward. I'll get my head aligned better. I'll repost next week sometime and see if my problems are better.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
Nicho Mann

Profile:

one thing that I notice with the press, and maybe the other two guys said it, but it looks more as if you are letting the come out slightly and then pressing it up, as opposed to moving your head out of the way so that the bar can travel up in that single plane. Once the bar passes your head/face, bring your head foward again, and the weight should be above your shoulders.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Derek Franks

Profile:

This is a perfect example why you should wait until you read the book - you really can't do SS based off of the blogs/wikis/forums etc. BTW, that's a lot nicer than Rip would be if you posted those videos to his forum.

In the meantime, at least watch every one of these videos so you don't hurt yourself trying to squat like that:

http://www.************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1334 (WFS)
Old 07-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

The link will help more than the book. I learn fromtrial and error and little help from humans along the way. I can't learn to do anything based off a book unless it's History. After 10 years in education, I've learned that everyone learns in different ways.

Last edited by Warren C Ellison; 07-06-2008 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: c
Old 07-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

Derek
You seem to really know what you are talking about. Do you have a link to your squat videos? If not, record one and post it so I can learn from someone with much more experience than I and most other people on this board have. Thanks in advance for helping.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren C Ellison View Post
Derek
You seem to really know what you are talking about. Do you have a link to your squat videos? If not, record one and post it so I can learn from someone with much more experience than I and most other people on this board have. Thanks in advance for helping.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...77597993&hl=en (WFS)

Sorry for the poor quality. I don't own a video camera. I had my brother, who's visiting my wife and I this weekend, come into the garage and record me doing a few squats on our camera. I had to rotate the video on my computer and it kind of stretched it out sideways a little bit.

I never claimed to know more than most people on this board. My squat isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. I've got a little more butt wink than some people are comfortable with, but I'm fine with it and it hasn't caused me any back problems at heavier weights.

What you'll notice is that I sit "back" instead of "down" from the knees. Your hip crease should at least break the plane at the top of your knee (essentially the orange line in your picture). Normally I don't squat barefoot, but you'll notice that my weight stays evenly distributed on my feet. Your heels shouldn't lift up. I more or less keep my neck in line with my spine although looking down isn't terrible either. It's better than looking up. You can also see that I drive up out of the hole with my hips (ie hip drive). Imagine somebody pulling your butt directly up with a chain.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Derek Franks; 07-06-2008 at 11:39 AM..
Old 07-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

Ok that makes sense. I practiced a little with the bar going down and lifting with my butt. I'm having a tough time not moving my knees forward. I'm trying the 1/3 down then sit with my butt. It feels better, but I feel a little robotic doing it. I'm working as hard as I can...hopefully it will get better. Thanks for the video.