CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #41
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:
Re: Whole Grain? Is it healthier than not?

I actually did some of the foot work for you.

Note sure if this site is 100% reliable but it's better than Wikipedia I guess. I wish I had kept my textbooks from bio class, definitely trust those more than the internet .

Carbohydrates (WFS)

I guess I simplified the process a little and skipped a few steps, but I had the main idea right.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #42
Michael Dowling

Profile:

i'm a vegan but eat steak, chicken, and pork, i also eat paleo but sometimes i eat dairy, pasta, and sandwiches on white bread.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #43
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pellegrini View Post
I actually did some of the foot work for you.

Note sure if this site is 100% reliable but it's better than Wikipedia I guess. I wish I had kept my textbooks from bio class, definitely trust those more than the internet .

Carbohydrates (WFS)

I guess I simplified the process a little and skipped a few steps, but I had the main idea right.

What that says is that all carbohydrates turn into glucose and if glucose isn't used, then it may turn into fat.

Still doesn't explain how the type of starch determines whether or not it will turn into fat. It all turns into glucose eventually...
Old 07-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #44
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Back on to the subject of bread, the reason I believe white bread is considered "bad" is because it is made up of a type of starch which is more prone to being stored as fat in your body. Same deal with white rice. The ole' battle between "good" carbs and "bad" carbs
Quote:
A good quote for this is from Timoth Noakes PhD "Fifty percent of what we know is wrong. The problem is that we don't know which fifty percent it is."
I'm guessing this is the "wrong" 50%.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #45
Dana Rice

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
What that says is that all carbohydrates turn into glucose and if glucose isn't used, then it may turn into fat.

Still doesn't explain how the type of starch determines whether or not it will turn into fat. It all turns into glucose eventually...
I am guessing this is loosly based on the idea of Low vs Hi GI foods and their effect on blood sugar, insulin response . . .etc. Whole grains (~45-50) and brown rice have a lower GI than processed grains[white bread] (>70) and white rice, therefore have a more minimal effect on blood sugar, therefore a lesser effect on insulin storing that excess blood sugar as fat.

Also - to Rebecca - you stated that whole grains actually contain higher levels of gluten and lectens then processed grains? I have never heard this. Would this be true of sprouted grains, because I have read the opposite.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #46
Javier Ramirez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
As far as "ab work", yes it may make your abdominal muscles more visible due to hypertrophy, but does ABSolutely nothing to lean out the fat surrounding your abs (hence the saying "abs are made in the kitchen") beyond the fact that workouts of any type burn calories.. doing doing targetted muscle group work is also somewhat contradictory to the principles of crossfit, which prioritizes a full body workout and tends to consider targetting muscle groups to be inferior methodology.
No disrespect to Rebecca, but:
Ab work, does cause you to "lean" out midsection by logic. Leaning out can be a direct cause of increase of muscle mass, regardless if body fat remains or decreases. The increase of muscle volume due to hypertrophy decreases the percentage of body fat within a sectional volume, and whole volume, essentially "leaning out".

Iff body fat differential stays 0 or decreases. Don't attack me on if body fat increases, that is a different argument.

Last edited by Javier Ramirez : 07-20-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #47
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
Also - to Rebecca - you stated that whole grains actually contain higher levels of gluten and lectens then processed grains? I have never heard this. Would this be true of sprouted grains, because I have read the opposite.
Grains are seeds, consisting of a protective outer layer wrapped around the sugars that will feed the growing plant. Remove the outer layer and the germ, and you remove the gluten and lectins they contain. (And other nutrients, which is why whole grains are more nutritious.)

In sprouted grain, in contrast, the process of soaking leeches out or breaks down those same compounds.

Katherine
Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #48
Matthew Reilly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier Ramirez View Post
No disrespect to Rebecca, but:
Ab work, does cause you to "lean" out midsection by logic. Leaning out can be a direct cause of increase of muscle mass, regardless if body fat remains or decreases. The increase of muscle volume due to hypertrophy decreases the percentage of body fat within a sectional volume, and whole volume, essentially "leaning out".

Iff body fat differential stays 0 or decreases. Don't attack me on if body fat increases, that is a different argument.
It would take a ridiculous amount of abdominal hypertrophy for that to make a substantial difference.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #49
Matthew Reilly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
I'm guessing this is the "wrong" 50%.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #50
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
. Whole grains (~45-50) and brown rice have a lower GI than processed grains[white bread] (>70) and white rice, therefore have a more minimal effect on blood sugar, therefore a lesser effect on insulin storing that excess blood sugar as fat.
There's your explanation.

Dana put it into better words than I could. I wasn't saying the starch in white bread automatically turns into fat, I was saying it breaks down quicker thus having a bigger effect on your blood sugar which makes it therefore more likely to be stored as fat. Shane if you are really so keen to not believe what I say do some research and come back with what answers you find.