CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #31
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Whole Grain? Is it healthier than not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Sligh View Post
Could I see an article or something to prove this please? I would love to learn about this. Thank you for this.
just google "spot reduction"
Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #32
Brandon Sligh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
just google "spot reduction"
I have been reading about spot reduction and this is some pretty interesting stuff. I have received mixed reviews with some saying it is true and some saying it is false. I am seeing research from many professors and just random people's reviews. However I came across this article and I think you and others should read it http://www.drclay.com/2011/03/spot-reduction-possible/ (The link is safe, G rated, safe for family, etc. Hope I put in the right words so it is not removed).

So in conclusion, I am in belief of spot reduction because I can see this being done with my body at all times as a track and field athlete. So honestly, I believe that person in the other forum can lose body fat by doing abs. I have done my research and there goes an article (based on someone with a phD) that shows the truth.

In the end it goes by what you believe in, so the fact that I was discredited upsets me.

This post is also for Rebecca Roth, the person that discredited me for saying working out abs does not do anything for percent body fat.

Last edited by Brandon Sligh : 07-19-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Wanted to say rebecca roth in post.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #33
Shane Skowron

Profile:

You seem to get upset pretty easily when it comes to discussing food and exercise. Are you sure the Internet is for you?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #34
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
I'm not arguing that there is a difference between processed sweetners or table sugar and carbohydrate (all conventional sugars are a carbohydrate, all carbohydrate are not conventional sugars), but inherently (and the word "saccharide" tells you this) carbohydrate is broken down to sugar within the body, there's nothing wrong or negative about that.
Well you had said earlier that all carbohydrates were sugar, but whatever, it's not a big deal. I'm not arguing either, I just wanted make sure people knew the difference between carbohydrates and sugar.

Back on to the subject of bread, the reason I believe white bread is considered "bad" is because it is made up of a type of starch which is more prone to being stored as fat in your body. Same deal with white rice. The ole' battle between "good" carbs and "bad" carbs
Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #35
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pellegrini View Post
I believe white bread is considered "bad" is because it is made up of a type of starch which is more prone to being stored as fat in your body. Same deal with white rice. The ole' battle between "good" carbs and "bad" carbs
This is based on what?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #36
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
This is based on what?
Well if I typed "starch" into google I'm sure I could pull some article out of my ***, but I'm working mostly from memory my biology and health classes and reading I've done over the years.

If I remember correctly, white bread (and white rice) contains a type of starch that is broken down quickly by the body, so that means it turns into sugar quickly. Unless the body immediately uses that sugar as an energy source the body will try to reserve it by turning it into a type of fat cell. Whole grain carbohydrates are broken down more gradually so there is less sugar to burn at a given moment and thus it is less likely the body will need to convert it to fat.

Does this make sense? If I'm wrong, please correct me this info may be old/outdated.

EDIT: of course this isn't universally true. Some people have "faster" metabolisms so the fact they are eating white bread won't make a huge difference.

Last edited by Greg Pellegrini : 07-19-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #37
Debra Rae Doyle

Profile:

Quote:
Well if I typed "starch" into google I'm sure I could pull some article out of my ***, but I'm working mostly from memory my biology and health classes and reading I've done over the years.

If I remember correctly, white bread (and white rice) contains a type of starch that is broken down quickly by the body, so that means it turns into sugar quickly. Unless the body immediately uses that sugar as an energy source the body will try to reserve it by turning it into a type of fat cell. Whole grain carbohydrates are broken down more gradually so there is less sugar to burn at a given moment and thus it is less likely the body will need to convert it to fat.

Does this make sense? If I'm wrong, please correct me this info may be old/outdated.

EDIT: of course this isn't universally true. Some people have "faster" metabolisms so the fact they are eating white bread won't make a huge difference.
And here I thought it was because the stuff is so damn tasty that it's impossible not to eat the whole loaf :P (Try eating a whole loaf of 'healthy' bread......)
Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #38
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Unless the body immediately uses that sugar as an energy source the body will try to reserve it by turning it into a type of fat cell.
Do you have a source for that?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #39
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Rae Doyle View Post
And here I thought it was because the stuff is so damn tasty that it's impossible not to eat the whole loaf :P (Try eating a whole loaf of 'healthy' bread......)
yep, i'm with you on this one. i know why i lose weight and fat on healthy food, b/c i have to force myself to eat it instead of forcing myself not to eat the yummy stuff... well said. LOL
Old 07-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #40
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Do you have a source for that?
Like I said earlier, my info is from memory of what I was taught in class and read from articles, textbooks, and what-not. So no I do not have a direct source off hand. I am paraphrasing what I've learned, and since I am paraphrasing and it is from memory, it could be incorrect. If you are skeptical just search "carbohydrates" on some medical or biology site.

A good quote for this is from Timoth Noakes PhD "Fifty percent of what we know is wrong. The problem is that we don't know which fifty percent it is."