CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Alex Habib

Profile:
Additional Certifications

I was looking to get certifications to improve both my resume and overall understanding of training methodologies. So far I only have my L-1 and am insure of what specific certifications I should pursue. My plan was to get specific certs in powerlifting, olympic lifting, and gymnastics. Unfortunately, there are a lot to choose from. I'd like to use these to further involve myself in the crossfit world. Note that I will most likely do two this summer on the list because of the cost. Also, I'm in the Massachusetts area and a university student if that changes anything.

Here's what I was thinking:

Powerlifting - Westside Barbell Strength

Olympic Lifting - USAW?

Gymnastics - crossfit cert?

Personal training - ISSA?

Are there better alternatives then what I've listed? And in what order would you choose them?
Old 12-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Adam Morden

Profile:
Re: Additional Certifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Habib View Post
I was looking to get certifications to improve both my resume and overall understanding of training methodologies. So far I only have my L-1 and am insure of what specific certifications I should pursue. My plan was to get specific certs in powerlifting, olympic lifting, and gymnastics. Unfortunately, there are a lot to choose from. I'd like to use these to further involve myself in the crossfit world. Note that I will most likely do two this summer on the list because of the cost. Also, I'm in the Massachusetts area and a university student if that changes anything.

Here's what I was thinking:

Powerlifting - Westside Barbell Strength

Olympic Lifting - USAW?

Gymnastics - crossfit cert?

Personal training - ISSA?

Are there better alternatives then what I've listed? And in what order would you choose them?
Hi are you in Mass or Quebec? if you're in Quebec and speak french check out http://www.fedhaltero.qc.ca/ (WFS) for Oly certs. they have some great lifters and coaches.

for slow barbel lifts I still like Rips Starting Strength cert the best. Most of your athletes are unlikely to be advanced lifters and starting strength will give you a better base to teach novices (IMO) the Westside cert is awesome though - just more advanced training systems for more advanced athletes.

The CF gymnastics cert is great - I really liked it.

The CF Football cert is great if it's still going.

for PT it depends on if you want the cert for insurance purposes and to add legitimacy or for the info you get out of the course/cert.

ISSA is great for the info from what I've seen. getting your NSCA - CPT or CSCS (once you graduate) is pretty easy but gives you access to cheap insurance, and great name recognition in the general training public. but both are just a test - so you don't really learn anything that you don't teach yourself.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

If they do another PL at Westside Barbell, its a must go.
The time with Louie Simmons is invaluable.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Alex Habib

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Morden View Post
Hi are you in Mass or Quebec? if you're in Quebec and speak french check out http://www.fedhaltero.qc.ca/ (WFS) for Oly certs. they have some great lifters and coaches.

for slow barbel lifts I still like Rips Starting Strength cert the best. Most of your athletes are unlikely to be advanced lifters and starting strength will give you a better base to teach novices (IMO) the Westside cert is awesome though - just more advanced training systems for more advanced athletes.

The CF gymnastics cert is great - I really liked it.

The CF Football cert is great if it's still going.

for PT it depends on if you want the cert for insurance purposes and to add legitimacy or for the info you get out of the course/cert.

ISSA is great for the info from what I've seen. getting your NSCA - CPT or CSCS (once you graduate) is pretty easy but gives you access to cheap insurance, and great name recognition in the general training public. but both are just a test - so you don't really learn anything that you don't teach yourself.
I go to university in Montreal, but come back to MA during the summer. I'll most likely be doing the certs during the summer due to time constraints (though I do speak French, so thank you for that reference). The PT would be more for legitimacy than learning something (not that they wouldn't teach me anything). Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
If they do another PL at Westside Barbell, its a must go.
The time with Louie Simmons is invaluable.
Unfortunately, traveling outside of MA wouldn't work due to financial constraints. I'd love to visit him in person eventually though. Thanks for the recommendation!