CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
Olafs Berzins

Profile:
Is CrossFit elitist?

I did not know really where to ask this, but recently I read one Latvian made article, that considering the creation of training programs, equipment, Level 1 certificate and other expenses, CrossFit is an elitist sport, meaning that, is more expensive than going to a regular gym.

Would you agree to this statement?

Last edited by Olafs Berzins : 12-22-2013 at 06:43 AM. Reason: misspelled a word
Old 12-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Cam Peavy

Profile:
Re: Is CrossFit elitist?

So you're saying that CrossFit is elitist because it costs more? Well paying for a trainer costs more than going alone. A 10/10 gym is going to cost more than a 5/10 gym. Not quite sure what you're getting at..
Old 12-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
Olafs Berzins

Profile:

Because of the average cost of one training session. - As I mentioned before, this is not my opinion, but one Latvian CrossFit athletes, who has just opened a CrossFit Box with his like-minded fellows.
I just wanted to know, what the majority thinks of this statement.

My opinion. Recently I watched CFProjectMayhem video, where Froning with one fellow trainer explained, why it is more beneficial to go to a CrossFit gym than to regular global gym; therefore I cannot say that this sport is elitist at all.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I feel like there is something lost in translation here. None of the examples given so far are proof positive or negative that CF as a program is elitist. Examples of elitism would be people thinking CF is automatically better than any other fitness regimen for every situation, or people saying CF athletes are better athletes than any other sport. Yes, there are those kinds of people, but that doesnt make the entire program "elitist."
Old 12-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

1) No, I don't agree with it. Whether or not something costs more doesn't determine whether or not it's "elitist."

2) Even if it were elitist, what would it matter? What matters is whether or not the program suits you and your needs. If it does, do it. If it doesn't, move on.

- Mark