CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-19-2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Chris Kantarjiev

Profile:

I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing this (squats) right. I've read the Dec 2002 CF Journal ("Squat Clinic") but it's a little tough to self-diagnose. My heels stay flat and I think my back stays arched.

I'm asking because the squat workouts from last week's WODs (thrusters followed by squat cleans) had my quads sore (to the point of keeping me awake at night) for about four days, but I didn't feel anything at all in my glutes.

That just doesn't seem right...

Thanks,
chris
Old 01-19-2004, 04:10 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
You probably aren't getting low enough in the squat. Once the thighs pass below the parallel position, the glutes get activated.

Go only as low, however, as your current flexibility allows. If your flexibility stinks, you are going to have difficulty going low enough to work the glutes.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
SHANE WERNER

Profile:

chris,

also remember that usally strength comes in spurts. if your quads are weaker then your gluts, you will be sore there, because you can only lift as much as you weakest muscles. eventualy (when doing them right) you will feel it in you gluts and not at all in your quads. and then it will swing back to your quads again. so if you think you are doing them right, and it's always good to check, because i know my squats are always evolving, as i find out that am not doing quite right. but if you are confidant that you have good form, and your back is not getting tweaked, then i wouldnt worry too much about which muscle group hurts from that particular workout.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:55 PM   #4
Chris Kantarjiev

Profile:

Thanks, all. I'm trying to be careful to break parallel on every rep, but it's entirely possible that I'm not being consistent (small joke).

(Ugh - 250 squats today?)

chris