CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
Ted Reinders

Profile:
Clean Coaching

Here's my form check video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WiZh_SK78ng (safe, but I probably should have blurred out that huge mole)

One thing I noticed watching the video but not at all while doing the lift was that my right elbow was lower than my left. I had a wrist injury recently and it still causes pain, so that might be why.

Last edited by Ted Reinders : 12-15-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Ronald Baer

Profile:
Re: Clean Coaching

There are many people more qualified than me to coach oly on this forum, but just at a quick glace I'd say you could come to more of a full hip extension before dropping under the bar. I had this problem for a while, but doing a progression from the hang position to dropping under (with lighter weight) helped a bit. just my 1 2/2 cents.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

Try doing a clean pull to triple extension, reset, and then pull a clean. The feeling of triple extension (ankles, knees, and hips, + the shrug) should trigger your dive under the bar.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Steve Forman

Profile:

I didn't see any shoulder shrug at all! Remember the bar should really stay in a straight vertical line. not pulling the bar up with your arms, but driving with triple extension that Larry talked about. then at that moment dropping your body under the bar, when the bar has a second of weightlessness.

Last edited by Steve Forman : 12-16-2007 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Ryan Holmes

Profile:

You are starting by looking up, pick a spot that keeps your neck neutral. Also get the bar to shins before you get set to pull, "Steel to heel". That will keep your toes from starting ahead of your knees. Remember its a jump with hip opening explosively after a slow pull. Disclaimer: I am just learning the power clean, so I don't even know if I can do this I just know what I am thinking about based on SS.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

WEAR SHOES! Hiking boots, motorcycle boots, cow-pie stompers, old dress shoes, bowling shoes, even cowboy boots would be an improvement. Something with a bit of a solid heel and a flat sole.

You did not finish the hip extension.

Watch the video - your feet don't move at all. That's evidence that you really didn't perform "a jump with a barbell in your hands." Instead you shoved the bar forward with your thighs. Watch the video, focus on the end of the barbell and you'll see that it takes a forward loop when you slam your thighs into the bar. It should be going more vertical with less of a "C" shape to the bar path. Don't launch the bar off the thighs. JUMP vertically, bringing the barbell with you.

Not crazy about your initial setup. Shins could be more vertical, bar in tighter.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
Ted Reinders

Profile:

Why are shoes better than my feet?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

Try them and you will see. You will be more solid in the hole and the shoes allow you to stomp your feet. Boots are decent, but a little heavy, dress shoes (with laces) will closely approximate O-lifting shoes.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
Ted Reinders

Profile:

I don't see how shoes would "allow" me to stomp my feet; I am perfectly capable of doing so without them (video notwithstanding).

I did wear shoes until I discovered how much better working out is without them. I wouldn't mind trying some shoes specifically designed for the purpose, but that will have to wait until I've got the money to spare.

As for the other suggestions/critiques, I did my best to apply them yesterday but things still didn't "click". In the video I was practicing the full clean, which I think explains some of the issues therein with extension (lack of full), and my feet not leaving the ground. The weight was such that too much explosion in the second pull gives me too much height on the bar and I instinctively default to a power clean, so I was deliberately inhibiting the burst in order to keep the bar manageable for a full squat. It's very difficult to find a weight that is heavy enough to allow the full explosion without ending up way over my head when I try to drop into the squat to rack it, while still being light enough to carefully practice technique with. This must be a common problem, unless most people don't even practice the full squat clean until they're lifting weight they cannot power clean. What's up with that?

Also, my thighs did not hit the bar. I may have some outward swing, but it's not because of that. I don't know precisely why, but the fact that the weight was so little (and thus easily thrown off course) probably has something to do with it.

Last edited by Ted Reinders : 12-18-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:

If it's light enough that you catch it high, don't worry about it. Do your full squat and let the bar arrive whenever it wants. You'll catch it lower when it's heavier.