CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:
Re: DT's workout log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
They have the bar that they put up mainly for TRX in the bball court that might be good for rings (esp L-sit pullups and dips), though I've done pullups and TTB on it and found that I don't completely trust it. Big bolts in cinder block, should be solid. But I trust it not. I feel like there is a wiggle.

I didn't make it in this weekend. Did my Saturday lift/metcon at home and my legs were too wrecked from the hike on Sunday to even contemplate getting under a bar.
Yeah there was actually someone using that bar with a TRX band while I was in there . I sometimes use that bar for pullups or ring dips. I haven't felt the wiggle but I guess I'll pay attention tonight as I'll be doing the mainpage WOD in there. I don't like how close it is to the wall though, whenever I hang the rings I usually end up trying (sometimes successfully ) muscle ups and I can't do them without kipping a bit.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #22
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Workout 12/5 8pm

"Eva"

5 Rounds for Time
800m run
30 KB swings (scaled to 1 pood because that was the largest avaiable)
30 pullups

48:55

Eva is a cruel mistress. Did my running on a treadmill at the globo. This WOD shredded my hands even though they were taped up pretty well. Since I forgot to manicure my calluses before I went to the gym, I thought "150 pullups..yeah I'm screwed" and figured there was no way I was getting through this WOD without bloody hands. However I managed to make it through with only a blood blister and no major tearing . I was pretty gassed after this one and since back squats are on the agenda for the next workout I went home to recover after I finished.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #23
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Workout 12/7 5:00am

Back Squat

3x3x3x3x3

225-275-315-325-315

Squats felt ok, really working getting low and it seems to be coming along a little better than I thought. Last rep @325lb had to really push to finish. My back was a bit tired after deadlifting on Sunday and the KB swings in "Eva" yesterday. So after the back squats I just decided to do some front squats.

Front Squats

5x135 (warmup)
5x185
3x205
1x225

I felt like I could have done a couple more reps at 225lb, which makes me realize that I need to work on my squat clean technique. I'm getting a nice deep squat when I do FS's and pushing up 225lb was not a problem however I have trouble getting underneath it when I try to squat clean anything over 195lb. I guess i've got some work to do.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #24
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Workout Today 12/9 @ 8 pm

Main page WOD

20 min AMRAP
400m Run
21 Deadlifts @155lbs

5 rounds exactly

I warmed up with a 500m sprint on the C2. Since I've never tried to set a PR on there I figured what the hell right? Clocked a 1:42 and I started throttling it back during the last 100-150m because the little man in the back of my head was telling me I had to do the above WOD still and my thighs were starting to burn a bit.

So the goal tomorrow (since it's a 10x2 bench WOD) is to break into the 1:30's...maybe shoot for 1:35? I think it's doable

As for the WOD, the first 2 rounds were rough. Felt fresh but the runs just didn't feel right. After 3 rounds I was on pace to finish 6. My runs slowed a bit and my transitions were long (at the globo). Next time this rolls around I'll have 6 rounds +

Cooled down with some DU's..trying to do more DU's after WOD's when I'm already fatigued. Also did some chest to bar pull ups and chin ups.

Oh and in true bro fashion I finally witnessed the classic curling in the squat rack. Two guys using the only 2 squat racks in the place to do curls . They were lifting together and apparently felt the need to each have their own rack. One dude was curling 65lbs and the other 75lbs. The part that gets me about this is this particular globo has straight and bent bar dumbells (the shorter rubber coated ones) that run from 20lbs-120lbs that are perfect for doing any number of lifts...like curls.

I need to get a punch card at one of the local CF gyms..sheesh
Old 12-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #25
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

My guess is that they know big gains happen in the squat rack, but they don't want to abandon the curls....hence curling in the rack.

Strong work on the row! I bet 1:30s is definitely doable if you aren't concerned about a follow-up WOD, especially if you do something else to get your heart-rate up before you row. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #26
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
My guess is that they know big gains happen in the squat rack, but they don't want to abandon the curls....hence curling in the rack.

Increasing strength through Osmosis? Maybe the magic of the squat rack will rub off on their 1RM bicep curls. Like that old Garfield poster I used to see as a kid where Garfield had a bunch of books strapped to his head and the quote at the bottom says "Learning through Osmosis"

That sounds like a plausible explanation to me.

Workout 12/10 10am

Main page WOD

10x2 bench press with min rest between sets

155lbs for all 10 sets

Well I found out that I do need to work bench press into my WOD's more often as I think I've digressed a bit. 155lbs wasn't difficult but it just didn't feel good.

OHS

135lbs 1x5
155lbs 4x5
185lbs 2x1

Back Squats

225lbs 1x6 (warm up)
275lbs 1x3
295lbs 1x3
315lbs 1x3

Since I've been working on getting "***-to-grass" on my squats...or at least below parallel, I went backwards a bit but I think I'm heading back in the right direction again.

Finished with 5 Muscle Ups, which are coming much easier now

My attempt at a 1:30's 500m row will have to wait until tomorrow. It was very busy today and the C2 was taken most of the time while I was there.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #27
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Workout 12/13 6pm

Mainpage WOD

7 rounds for time
185lbs power cleans 3 reps
Ring Handstand Push ups 4 reps (scaled with feet on 30 inch box)

8:35

Had to take a couple days off because of a sick kid, but the rest was nice as I was starting to come down with some sort of cold/cough which seems to be getting better. WOD felt good, probably could have gone with 205lbs as Rx'd but didn't want to stop mid-way through to change the weight.

Deadlift

7x2 1 minute rest between sets

315-320-325-330-335-340-345

Just saw the mainpage WOD is 5x5 deadlift for tomorrow, so I guess I got that covered more or less. The globo has a kettle bell class (taught by one of the trainers who does some of the mainpage WOD's) so I may hit that up if I can get out of bed

100 DU's for time

4:15

4x10 toes-to-bar 30 seconds rest between sets

5x3 weighted chin ups w/45lbs

3x5 sot presses with 45lbs

Felt great and could have kept going. So I'm thinking about implementing some structured strength work for a bit. I've read a little about GSLP as well as some of the 70's Big programming. Anyone done both and could give me the readers digest version of the difference between the two?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #28
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

My experience is limited, but FWIW...

I followed GSLP for awhile (2-3mos). By "follow" I mean I followed the rep scheme for the lifts and combined the lifts with the pullups (weighted & BW) as prescribed. I didn't do the neck harness or curls and rarely PCs. I really, really liked the 3rd set max. Provides an element of unknown in the workout which adds variety and makes it fun.

Overall I liked it and saw decent gains, mainly in the deadlift and press.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #29
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
My experience is limited, but FWIW...

I followed GSLP for awhile (2-3mos). By "follow" I mean I followed the rep scheme for the lifts and combined the lifts with the pullups (weighted & BW) as prescribed. I didn't do the neck harness or curls and rarely PCs. I really, really liked the 3rd set max. Provides an element of unknown in the workout which adds variety and makes it fun.

Overall I liked it and saw decent gains, mainly in the deadlift and press.
I feel like I've got some room to grow, especially on bench press and overhead press. Heck I think I can get to 450lbs+ on my deadlift. I've only been DL'ing for 3 months so I gotta think the potential is there. Thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #30
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Workout 12/14 7pm

Three rounds for time of:
7 Muscle-ups (scaled to 4 Muscle-ups)
35 pound Dumbbell thruster, 21 reps

11:35

Was short on time tonight, so this was all I did today. But it was a a fun one. MU are getting much easier and was able to string together 3
Doesn't seem like much I know, but considering MU #1 was on November 17th I'm happy with the progress so far.