CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Hollis Petri

Profile:
Hi All

I'm starting IF again. Did it for awhile, liked it a lot, but then got sidetracked. Anywho...I can't decide between two different 15 hour IF plans and was hoping for advice. My workouts are at 5:30 am.

1. Fast from 1:30pm to 4:30 am. Eat at 4:30. Work out 1 hr later at 5:30 am. Stop eating at 1:30
2. Fast from 4:30pm to 7:30 am. I work out at 5:30am, so I will be working out after a 13hr fast and will eat about an hour after my work out.

I would love to do 2) because it's easier, I get to eat later in the day, and some people have suggested doing the WODS after such a long fast is not only not counter productive but may even be more productive. However, I'm fighting my years of endurance training background and also some of the WODS I will be extending with a 30 minute run or bike and am worried that I would recover better with some pre-workout nutrition like plan 1 vs Plan 2 with no pre-workout nutrition for 13 hours. Any thoughts? Robb, I was hoping you in particular would respond, plus i was wondering if you are still doing IF and if so, any thoughts now that you have been doing it for while?

Thanks
Hollis
Old 01-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I'm not Robb, or an expert but from my experiences workouts go much better and I feel much more driven on an empty stomach. I feel like i get an energy high when I workout on empty. High intensity workouts like the WOD seem to mimick what a vicious fight with a predator or hunted animal might be. If you think about it, being able to defend oneself and work vigorusly for food while on an empty stomach was probably an important trait for paleo man. Ofcourse this is all speculation, but it makes sense, and has worked for me. I would go with the 2nd approach definitely. Maybe Robb and others can expand on this.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I would give option 2 a shot. If recovery is an issue switch things but it should be ok.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
Christian Hansen

Profile:
Seems like this question is appropriate for this thread. With a zone approach, how short can you make the eating window without getting undesired hormonal responses? I'm thinking of trying the Zone approach for a while and with IF it seems like I won't have time to eat all the food I need.

edit: I should add that I presently do a kind of quasi paleo chaotic IF program.

(Message edited by themightypuck on January 09, 2006)
Old 01-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Hollis Petri

Profile:
thank you all for replies. Robb, thanks also for fish oil recommendation with the other thread. Never thanked you for your post
Old 01-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Christian... I've gotten my meal separation down to 2.5 hours with no issues. Today I ate two six block meals with the second beginning just under two hours after the first ended and felt fine.

And also, I have had a ton of success with method 2. I really, really like the overnight, pseudo-IF.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I too like option 2. I get up in the morning, exercise on an empty stomach, then eat an hour or so later. My performance is great and I haven't come close to a run-in with Pukie since doing things this way. As for eating, I eat between 3 and 5 times a day. When I'm hungry, I eat a Paleo Zone-ish meal. I've leaned out very nicely following this method as well.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I wonder if some of the benefits of working out on an empty stomach is that you can go harder before feeling the effects of Pukie.

Working harder over a period of time must accelerate one's progress.

My spin the the whole IF thing has been to eat breakfast at lunch time. No, that does not mean I am skipping breakfast. It means that I eat the required amount of daily food, in a more condensed time (usually between 12noon and 9pm).

Unfortunately, working out in the early morning or the middle of the day is not an option. I always end up working out between 7pm and midnight. I wonder if this limits the short term benefits of IF.