CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
Joseph Hart

Profile:
I heard that if they cut the wrong cord your head will fall off:proud:. I have been kicking around the whole idea myself (with the wife's input of course) I thought it intersting that in MN you have to have your wife sign a consent form to get the snip. Can't you freeze a few bullets for a later date? We could also adopt if the better half wanted another child. She has had two (big headed babies) so the miracle of child birth has lost its luster. How old did you wait for your kids to get before you got it done (for the others out there)?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
"So why can't your wife go get her tubes tied? I've seen where a doctor in India can do tubal ligation with a laparoscope http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...htmwork/family safe tubal ligation description in less than 2 minutes and no anethesia. Thank goodness women are so tough."

I'll answer this question for all the moms out there, "We've done all the hard work. It's time for dad's to suck it up! Besides, a vascectomy doesn't compare to carrying a little human inside for 9 months then pushing it out. Then there's months of nare a full nights sleep waking up to breastfeed. Need I mention breast engorgement and nipple cracking?" :bleh0000:

Nick, I think the only part of my sig that's appropriate is the icing. :crutch00:

Joseph, some docs here in Cali require a wife's signature as well. Some have you wait until your last baby is at least 6 months old.

My DH (that's "dear husband" Bill) is 41. And we have 4 children (3 are his)

(Message edited by vgcarp on January 12, 2007)
Old 01-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
George Brothers

Profile:
just want to comment on james post.
in the states i dont think there are any tubal ligations being done as you describe. my experience is that general anesthesia is still the norm unless the ligation is done in combination with a csection. that said, the risks of general anesthesia are real including death, pulmonary embolism, bowel obstruction to name a few. plus the pain of getting your abdominal cavity filled with gas in order to see all the necessary organs and landmarks is not a great time. when i was in training, the obstretrician i did my rotation with was very clear with the male side of the relationship. he pulled no punches in discussing risks and asking why a vasectomy was not considered. so unless your wife is hot to undergo a tubal, get the vas. a few days to weeks of uncomfortableness is nothing in comparison to the 9 months of indigestion, swelling, hemorrhoids, cramps and nausea/vomit the little lady went through giving you each of your kids not mentioning the culmination of that process.

and no, i am in still in the child producing years but i will be taking my own medicine when the time comes.

to answer the original post though, start discussing this with married older friends, colleagues etc. everyone will have a different story but overall this is a very common procedure with a short recovery period and the risks are minimal. the thing that will make it worse for you is your level of anxiety going in. if you are knowledgeable this will help lessen that anxiety along with some valium prior to the procedure. dont be a tough guy, this will be your opportunity to see what all the fuss is about. as to where to go, see a urologist in private practice who has several years of experience. dont go to a teaching hospital to get this done esp in july or august on a friday. that way you wont be someone's first vasectomy. soft ice packs, tighty whiteys and some strategic vicodin or percocet will get you through the rest. good luck.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #14
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Nick:

ICE, ICE, and more ICE!! No matter what anyone tells you, recovery requires inactivity. ICE and a soft chair. Minimal movement around the house with ICE when you are in the chair. Take the pain medicine with the ICE before you start to have pain and take it on a regular schedule, just like you are using the ICE.

The idea of freezing some of your sperm is not a terrible idea if you have any notion that you may wish to have more children; I think they use ICE (sorry, got caught up in the theme!).

It's not that big a deal, and it is certainly a less invasive proposition than any type of tubal. There are typically no other issues to worry about. Good luck.

And don't forget the...

Old 01-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #15
Nick Cruz

Profile:
I asked my wife one time about TL (half joking of course) and she near knocked my block off, so I know that there is only one direction to go. Ive also gone through two major surgeries, a major jaw reconstruction and ACL replacement so I figure I should get something done in the center portion of my body now. Besides, it cant hurt anymore than getting my nipples pierced. Now THAT hurt.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #16
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Oooooo, Nick. That last part was on a need to know basis. Too much information...:lol:
Old 01-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #17
David Sailor

Profile:
I'm pretty sure you should be excused from laundry, dishes, garbage take out, etc for at least a month or two.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:45 AM   #18
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I always heard the procedure could be reversed and was much less dangerous for men.

Ice and relaxation sound good.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #19
James Falkner

Profile:
Groan... this thread is making my "core" hurt!! :tmi:
Old 01-13-2007, 01:57 PM   #20
Leonard Roy

Profile:
Nick -

just had mine done last Fri. If you get the "classic" version plan on a solid day or two off your feet as much as possible. After a couple days I found the sutures bothered me more then anything. Now at the 7-8 day mark I feel more then ready to tackle workouts, albeit in bike shorts to keep everything immobile.

I'd recommend doing your homework, there is a new "no scalpel" version that I have heard people claim let them return to work immediately. I should have spent more time looking into that but I was also in a crunch to get this done and be sure of being fully recovered before an event at the end of Feb.