CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
The wife and I think we are done with the kidlets. We have 2 gorgeous children now (my son is 6 and my daughter will be 4 in May) and I think the arrangement works well for us all right now. We are able to give them all the attention they need and deserve, we are done with the diapers and all the little baby toys, AND the toys are finally getting fun for me to play with!

Anyways, Im obviously still a bit nervous about taking the plunge. Anyone who has had this procedure done has to know what Im feeling. Help me through it!

Thanks,

Nick (soon to be Nicole)
Old 01-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
My only advice, go with two little snips as opposed to one big one. Then we can keep calling you Nick. A coworker has described the procedure to me as "a piece of cake".
Old 01-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
David Sailor

Profile:
Two things:

Frozen bagged vegetables are your friend.

Don't go mountain bike riding the next day.

Other than that, lay low for a couple of days and you should be fine. David
Old 01-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Bill Russell

Profile:
Nothing to it Nick. Just make sure you get a reserved spot on your favorite couch/chair for the entire weekend. Martinis, margaritas and 16 ounce curls all help, your preference!!

The itching that follows is by far the worst part.:pepper: (sorry, I couldn't resist that emoticon)
Old 01-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
Nick Cruz

Profile:
You guys have no regrets about the whole no going back part of the deal?

Not to say I would ever want or need to go back but lets just say the world gets wiped out and I am needed by my government to help repopulate the earth. Im just saying.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Paul Findley

Profile:
A truely patriotic view! Let us know if that works with the Mrs.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
That patriotism wouldn't work for this Mrs.

DH is going in next Thursday. Note to self: pick up frozen peas. He's already got his collection of Clint Eastwood movies lined up.

Most of the guys we've spoken with said in the end it was a piece of cake - after the feeling of "the doc tugging from clear up to my ears", and "the smell of burning flesh." But, I've found many guys whine more than women. :biggrin:

As far a how it affects your manlihood? One friend said, "It's all a myth!" :banana:

:080402gudl_prv: I'm sure you and DH will be up and running in no time!
Old 01-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Bill Russell

Profile:
Holy cow, I forgot about the smell of burning flesh. Nick, is it too late??!!!!!!

Seriously, no regrets what so ever. I was in my mid 30s with 3 kids, so I was sure I/we were done with having any more kids. Had I been younger, I might not have been sure.

Don't give that thought of "lessening your manlihood" one second of thought, total BS. If one of your buddies give you any crap, put him through a WOD :gunsmilie:

Veronica, tell DH (whoever he is) to have fun watching clint all next weekend. My favorite- "well, he shoulda armed himself if he was gonna decorate his saloon with my friend"
Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Burning flesh and violent tugging? Some people pay real good money for this! Sign me up!

Veronica, your sig will finally come in to play for me. Although, ice AND tape it? Hmm seems like an issue.

I think to just get it over with Ill be putting in the call to the Dr on Tuesday. I can smell it now.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
James R. Climer

Profile:
A little tale:

Had 2 children, and at 30 got snipped.
At 34 I got divorced , and for the next 6 years,
I don't think I met one woman that my sterility wasn't an issue about having more children. I basically dated only one woman my own age, (I never would have guessed it was so difficult a demographic to find), the rest were younger and all still wanted children. Although the 10 years between 30 and 40 were carefree at least for one aspect of my life, the vasectomy was a major issue for some others aspects.

I re-married at 37 to a woman 12 years my junior, who wanted, but didn't have children of her own. So I finally got a reversal at the age of 40, and it was a major success (operation in September, pregnant in November).

The Vasectomy was free (medical insurance gladly covered it), the reversal cost $5,000.

I have two more children and they are a joy. I am traveling around on slightly limited cordage and so my wife has had her tubes tied, and again I am somewhat carefree.

The story is intended to give you something to think about. Mainly you really can't be too sure about your future.

So why can't your wife go get her tubes tied? I've seen where a doctor in India can do tubal ligation with a laparoscope http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002913.htmwork/family safe tubal ligation description in less than 2 minutes and no anethesia. Thank goodness women are so tough.

PS-The vasectomy was a breeze, but I didn't pop
right up off the operating table and get back to work that afternoon like some dude tried to tell me did.

The reversal was easy too, but was a major operation and had me walking like a bow-legged cowboy for a month.

Finally, if you do get snipped, I don't recommend
trampoline workouts or showing off your bail-out technique on the swingset to the kids for at least 8-weeks. A little something the Doc forgot to warn me about.