CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Terry A Carey

Profile:
Rhabdo?

Well after 8 months of not CrossFitting I went back last week. The first day was just double unders and burpees..tough but no biggie. Friday was the kicker..pullups..21 15 9 it wasn't easy but I got through it ok. I was crazy sore on saturday and sunday barely being able to extend my arms..Monday not much better. Tuesday much less soreness,however today I have some definate edema in my biceps and triceps. My pee is clear. I know I should probably get seen by a doc. Or am I just being swayed by reading to much on the internet?

Thanks,
Terry
Old 07-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Vincent Miceli

Profile:
Re: Rhabdo?

Are you having abdominal pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry A Carey View Post
Well after 8 months of not CrossFitting I went back last week. The first day was just double unders and burpees..tough but no biggie. Friday was the kicker..pullups..21 15 9 it wasn't easy but I got through it ok. I was crazy sore on saturday and sunday barely being able to extend my arms..Monday not much better. Tuesday much less soreness,however today I have some definate edema in my biceps and triceps. My pee is clear. I know I should probably get seen by a doc. Or am I just being swayed by reading to much on the internet?

Thanks,
Terry
Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Blaise Davis

Profile:

hallmark symptom is usually a dark brownish red urine that sometimes has a jelly substance to eat from the release of myoglobin when muscles are broken down (this takes a ALOT of breakdown....I don't see the workouts you just naming doing anything close to this....it must happen by extreme exercise like froning style....seizure and other neuro problems can cause it as well but that's irrelevant to your case.....highly doubt you have anything abnormal except for normal beginning crossfit soreness

Things that can help you.....Take it slow maybe moving back in to every other day at first.....cold and heat packs alternating 15 minutes with each....ibprofeun (prescription dose is 800mg) .....massage...stretching...rolling out
Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Terry A Carey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Miceli View Post
Are you having abdominal pain?
No abdominal pain,feel fine drinking plenty of fluids. My arms are just pretty puffy!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I think you're just sore. 45 pullups doesn't seem like much but after 8 months off that's a ton of stress on your muscles. Keep stretching out as much as you can.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Terry A Carey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I think you're just sore. 45 pullups doesn't seem like much but after 8 months off that's a ton of stress on your muscles. Keep stretching out as much as you can.
Thanks for the responses...it is the swelling that has me concerned..I can deal with the soreness.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Vincent Miceli

Profile:

When I overtrain my biceps really bad. I use a golf ball to roll them out.

QUOTE=Terry A Carey;1182671]Well after 8 months of not CrossFitting I went back last week. The first day was just double unders and burpees..tough but no biggie. Friday was the kicker..pullups..21 15 9 it wasn't easy but I got through it ok. I was crazy sore on saturday and sunday barely being able to extend my arms..Monday not much better. Tuesday much less soreness,however today I have some definate edema in my biceps and triceps. My pee is clear. I know I should probably get seen by a doc. Or am I just being swayed by reading to much on the internet?

Thanks,
Terry[/QUOTE]
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I can understand that. Stuff like that happens when you overdo it, even if it doesn't feel like it immediately after the workout. Inflammation happens any time you work your muscles, that's what the "pump" from some bodybuilding-type rep schemes is from.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
Terry A Carey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I can understand that. Stuff like that happens when you overdo it, even if it doesn't feel like it immediately after the workout. Inflammation happens any time you work your muscles, that's what the "pump" from some bodybuilding-type rep schemes is from.
Jeff,
I am very familiar with the pump...I come form a competitive body-building background. This is different from the ordinary pump,hence my concern. Meantime I will flood my system with fluids and see if the swelling goes down by the morning.

Thanks,
Terry
Old 07-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
Blaise Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry A Carey View Post
Thanks for the responses...it is the swelling that has me concerned..I can deal with the soreness.
swelling comes with the inflammation with your body trying to heal itself thus sending cells and substances to the area via fluid to heal that spot....as said earlier fifteen minutes hot and cold alternating and prescription strength ibuprofen should and will conquer your problem