CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-24-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
Michael Lynch

Profile:
The Open honor system is broken, Masters need regionals

During The Open, it's far too easy to submit a score that's not accurate since scores are submitted on the honor system. Sure, the Online Qualifier will weed some out. But at that point it's too late, the damage has been done for those who did meet the standard and submitted legit scores.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:
Re: The Open honor system is broken, Masters need regionals

Agree, all video's should be turned in. Two popular masters got a speeding ticket last year and had 25% added to the total. Maybe 25% is not enough?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Alex Burden

Profile:

I suppose it all depends on how much dollars CFHQ wants to spend.

There is no money in it for them, only the elite and regionals bring in cash.

But they definitely need a different approach next year.

Plus they need to fix the leaderboard for 2017 and onwards because this is were we normal humans take pride in where we place.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Why do they count the open finish as part of the score? Doesn't make any sense. Finish high enough in the open, don't submit any scores for the qualifier and you can still finish ahead of guys that completed all workouts.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Masters regionals would be super expensive because they have so many age ranges. But that would be super cool.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
Why do they count the open finish as part of the score? Doesn't make any sense. Finish high enough in the open, don't submit any scores for the qualifier and you can still finish ahead of guys that completed all workouts.
Thats what has happened in the open... it should be the case that everyone that completes the 5 open events will be above all those that only complete 4 events. I am hoping they are going to fix that problem because in the rules it does not state anything about having to complete all 5 weeks.

Just the same as going RX or scaled.... 1 rep RX is worth more than 200 reps scaled. So it should be the same 5 completed events is worth more than 4.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:08 AM   #7
Michael Lynch

Profile:

If not a Masters Regional, then some sort of weekly video submission for the top 50, 75 or 100 masters in each age group.

Basically, instead of waiting until after the Open to possibly submit a video.

And I'm saying possibly because it's always been my understanding that it is recommended but not required to video all your Online Qualifier workout because HQ can request any one, two or all workout videos, correct?

So after all the weekly Open scores are submitted by the deadline and the Leader Board is updated, if you as a Master fall within the top 50, 75 or 100, you would be required to send a video of that weeks Open workout in order for your score to be validated by HQ.

Now I realize my idea may not be that simple or it's the next best thing to slice bread. Because even I can see some concerns with my idea. My intent is to get the wheels turning and create a open discussion.

Last edited by Michael Lynch : 04-26-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
Alex Burden

Profile:

Michael.... why not, I am sure they have an endless list of online judges that would be willing to take on that task. That's what happens in the open today so why not for the qualifier.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #9
Michael Lynch

Profile:

That's the main issue with message boards. Sometimes post are misunderstood. Alex, I just want to make sure we're understood.

1st, submission of video during the Open is totally volunteer. Even if the video was taken at an affiliate with a certified judge. It's still volunteer, correct? Video submission during the Open was geared to grassroot athletes who train by themselves or maybe not affiliated with a Box.

2nd, submission of video during the Qualifier is only required when requested by HQ, correct? HQ can request any or all Online Qualifier workout video.

My thought, having the top 50, 75 or 100 athletes in each age group submit a weekly video (after the Leader Board have been updated) will keep those honest and give more validity to those who are in the top ranking on a weekly basis.

My opinion, many play the numbers game. Why do some wait until the last minute to submit scores? So they can see what the average scores are and if they need to fudge their scores to stay above average, they can do that with no proof it was fudged

What would stop them or how can it be proved the scores they submitted wasn't fudged? Or they didn't meet standard but yet scored themselves thinking they did.

The sport Crossfit is growing. People of all ages are getting fitter regardless of which sport they do. The days of Aromas and the hopper are long gone. It's time to tighten the rules and regulations at the Open level.

My $0.02

Last edited by Michael Lynch : 04-26-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
Alex Burden

Profile:

They should submit all videos for the qualifier that's for sure. Let us see what the best can do.

I am a believer in quality over quantity and this is what I expect of myself..... sorry to say in the open and qualifier this is surely reversed.

If they have online judges that check all the videos it would be best.

If the video is approved by enough judges then there is not an issue, but if a video has X number rejected reviews then the score should be adjusted by 20% or something and really bad videos rejected and you score 0.

They need to play hard ball to bring the expectation back that you must meet the standards to the best of your ability.

Plus... you must have a visible clock, sound and if possible a person in the video to stop the chance to cheat.