CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
CFT Competition Question

I will be in the CFT competition that Crossfit Central is hosting this weekend. I did not really prepare for this in terms of practicing/planning what my 3 attempts should be. I have turned over a new leaf to track my workouts better, starting back on Jan. 1. Since that time, my PRs are SQ=215, SP=125, and DL=245. I am working on the depth of my squats, so the SQ may really be 205. I don't have my records pre-Jan. 1, but I am pretty sure I have DL 265 before. I've never been in a meet like this one before, so I'm not sure how to plan out my attempts. Start 5 or 10# below my expected number, then try for my current max, then 5 or 10# depending on how they feel? Anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Sean McDaniel

Profile:
Re: CFT Competition Question

Start with a weight you know you can do for a triple. That way you definitely get something on the board, and lose the nerves. Next attempt should be a PR by the smallest increment available - 1kg more than your previous PR. If you hit both of those, third attempt is gravy - try a jump that makes you a little nervous; you may surprise yourself.

That's been the general strategy I've used before, although I've altered it to match how I'm feeling that day. If I've been ill, or lifts just aren't there in the warmup, I may try a lighter first attempt, and aim for a +1 PR on my 3rd lift instead of my second.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Mary Ann Rigney

Profile:

Jeff

I do something similar to Sean. My first attempt is something I know I can get...without fail. Gotta get something on the board and you'll probably be a little nervous. Keep in mind, they will not take weight off the bar. You can't go down to a lower weight after they have added weight to the bar. My second attempt is usually my previous PR (or a previous recent PR). My last attempt, should I make the first two, is something slightly more than my PR.

Be sure to read the rules that Nicole sent out, so you feel comfortable with how the meet will run. It can be kind of intimidating, but everyone is usually very supportive. I will actually be down there as well, so I will see you there!

Mary
CrossFit Rockwall
www.crossfitrockwall.com
Old 03-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:

Thanks for the advice. When I do the CFT at home, I kind of build up to things in maybe 6 or 7 singles. Reading the rules last night really opened my eyes a bit. I wasn't sure where to start or how big of jumps to take. I was also not considering there may be a warm up area for me to get a few test runs in on the side. That should also help me to know where I am at. I am running a day behind vs. HQ, so tonight should be Cindy/Mary, and Friday should be a rest day. Maybe I should also test myself out a little tonight. Definitely need to loosen up after Linda and Filthy Fifty the last two days. Thanks again both of you, and see you there Mary!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Zach Even - Esh

Profile:

don't be shocked when you smash your previous PR's

the atmosphere itself sends the adrenaline soaring and a once heavy weight at home feels like you coulda added plenty

that's my experience

--z--
Old 03-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:

Thougt I'd post my results.
SQ = 85, 90, 97.5 kg = 214.5#
SP = 52.5, 55, 57.5(f) kg = 121#
DL = 120, 125, 127.5(f) kg = 275#
TOTAL = 97.5 + 55 + 125 = 277.5 kg = 610.5#

Threw out old stats and started fresh on Jan. 1. Individual PRs this year were 215, 125, and 245 (265 last year). CFT's this year were 595 and 565. Feel really good about the weights I chose for the SP and DL. I REALLY wanted the 280.5# DL. Think I maybe should have started a little higher on the SQ. I wasn't sure my depth would be good enough, so I played a little safe. I also didn't really warm up and test myself beforehand like I should have. Live and learn. Still a PR for the total, and 10# DL PR. Pretty pumped about that, and that I should have a little room to improve my score. This could have been a 225, 125, 275 = 625.