CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Michael Dowling

Profile:
back squat form check

i'm on week 13 of 70's big and today my work set was 285 5 X 3. i think in the last couple of weeks i'm short changing myself on depth because of the weight. i tend to round my lower back if i'm not really trying to avoid it and at this weight i think i'm just not going as low as i was when the weight was 265 for example out of fear of rounding my back. anyway please critique these squats for me so i can adjust accordingly. Thanks!

set 1 - 285
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZl4z35elj0 (wfs)

set 2 - 285
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=532IT6jM6e8 (wfs)

set 3 - 285
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0hhjebdMyI (wfs)

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 06-14-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: back squat form check

They are high and some of 'em were really high.

You take 8-10 steps out of the rack. I wonder if it would save you some energy and solidify your setup if you only had to take 2-4 steps out.

I noticed especially on your first set that your knees were drifting in when you squatted up. So really push the knees out all the time--on the way down and on the way up. This in itself might make depth easier without bothering your back.

Since you are doing 70's big and they are SS fans, you might want to keep your head looking slightly down to get that bigger hip drive. I noticed when I look more down, I feel more set in my hips and lower back. This also might help with rounding of the lower back.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Pretty good squats, just a bit high.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik
you take 8-10 steps out of the rack. I wonder if it would save you some energy and solidify your setup if you only had to take 2-4 back.
i typically don't go that far back in the rack, but i did just for the videos, so i took a few extra steps. also the rack is a little weird if you don't come straight back perfect the weights hit, i almost dumped one of the heavier warmup sets so i was a bit gun-shy to come back with more authority.

as for the head i always forget it, once i feel like i have to power out of the hole the head seems to come up.

i gotta get a bit lower on these, i'm glad i video taped them, but the camera is low and looking up so it's tough to gauge how low i'm really going. maybe i'll take a profile video on friday with the 290 5 x 3.

thanks for the replies, i have no coach and can't afford one right now so i have to figure this stuff out on my own.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Troy Becker

Profile:

Not deep enough
Old 06-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Michael Dowling

Profile:

i was in the gym early this AM and it was all around a terrible day but i took two more videos. first is a 225 warmup, the second my first set on 290 5 X 3, i think the third rep is quite high still, probably all are still high, anyway i failed on the third set so i think i'll either reset the weight or try again on monday. i lifted at like 6:00 AM on an empty stomach and failed on squats and bench today, EVERYTHING felt heavy today.

225 warmup, this one is lower but you can see the butt wink starting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt5FFUhFihM (WFS)

290 5 X 3 set 1: this is basically as low as i can go without butt wink (minus third rep that was just high)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUpHCTSPvmY (WFS)

i think i need thicker shorts, those are pretty thin, leave little to the imagination, kind of embarassing...

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 06-17-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Much more wink on the 225 then then 290. From that angle, on the 290, they still looked a little high. Is there a way to get a side angle on one set and then keep your current angle on another.

If you can go a tad deeper, I think you'd be in better shape and I wouldn't worry about the wink if it looks like your 290 set.

I wonder if on the lighter weight you don't use your glutes/and hams as much so you lose pelvic position allowing your butt to drop down. When you have a heavier weight, you can't rely on your quads to get it all up, so then the glutes and hams help, which then places your hips and butt in a better position.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Michael Dowling

Profile:

this is my last set on the 5 X 3 that i failed on from the side:

290 set 3 - FAIL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzs5n3at7YI

i was reluctant to post it because i look fat as s**t, i'm not a swimsuit model and that's fine but that belt and blowing against it isn't doing me any favors either.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Chris Walls

Profile:

You're not sitting back, you're not getting any hip drive, you're not getting a good stretch reflex/bounce out of the hole, and your knees are coming way forward at the bottom, causing the bar to come forward of the toes which is probably resulting in your low back pain... not whatever "butt wink" you're seeing.

Just one guy's opinion tho.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Joshua Straiton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Much more wink on the 225 then then 290. From that angle, on the 290, they still looked a little high. Is there a way to get a side angle on one set and then keep your current angle on another.

If you can go a tad deeper, I think you'd be in better shape and I wouldn't worry about the wink if it looks like your 290 set.

I wonder if on the lighter weight you don't use your glutes/and hams as much so you lose pelvic position allowing your butt to drop down. When you have a heavier weight, you can't rely on your quads to get it all up, so then the glutes and hams help, which then places your hips and butt in a better position.
^
Agreed. Don't worry too much about a butt wink. Just get down into a full squat and as you get stronger your back will set itself into place. Just always fight against surrendering your lower lumbar, but in reality, the only way to get better at squatting deeper is to squat deeper. It will be impossible to get rid of your butt wink (not a big deal anyway) if you don't push your range of motion on every squat.