CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Paul Kudela

Profile:
Back Squat form check

Comments? Suggestions?

Side view.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_vJBEYMlkk

Behind view.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFY7vPmOQY
Old 09-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Ahmed Darwish

Profile:
Re: Back Squat form check

I'm a beginner, so take my words with a grain of salt

Are both videos represent the same squat?

I have a feeling that the video taken from the side have severe lower back rounding. I can not see this kind of rounding in the second one.

You may also need to go a little deeper, you only go to parallel but not below.

I think trying to send your butt further back while getting down (and up!), and having a little box as a depth indicator will help. That's how I hopefully solved my similar issues.

Ooh .. criticizing another one's technique is much more easier than doing it right . Good Luck
Old 09-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Juli Peterson

Profile:

Paul, I would advise watching some of Rip's video's on the Low Bar Back Squat.

Try to get a feel of correct hip drive (you're lifting with your chest), keep your knee's out-they're tracking in, etc. etc. etc.

Watch some of Rip's video's, and buy Starting Strength.
Good luck.

juli
Old 09-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

a) Don't look at the mirror. Turn the pins around or look down at a point on the wall bellow the mirror.
b) You need about 2 or 3 inches more of depth to make those squats legal.
c) You could use some more hip drive, meaning drive up out of the hole with your butt.

Not to shabby though, keep up the good work!

-Robert

oh and this should probably be in digital coaching
Old 09-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Andrew M. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
b) You need about 2 or 3 inches more of depth to make those squats legal.
c) You could use some more hip drive, meaning drive up out of the hole with your butt.

Your letters:

B) His depth is fine.

C) If he drives with his hips without a corresponding movement with the bar and his chest, he'll end up with the bar out in front of his center of gravity and he'll get a minor GMing effect.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Paul Kudela

Profile:

Thank you for the helpful replies. I do see that I could use some more depth, and I can now also see where some hip drive will help once I get a heavier load on my back.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
Chris H Laing

Profile:

If I were you I'd listen to Robert. He's given me a lot of helpful tips for my back squat as well.

And to add a constructive criticism of my own, you don't want to tiptoe the bar off the pins like you do in the side view video. Once you get 300 lbs on the bar, you're not gunna be able to do that so you might as well get used to it now.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
David Sumner

Profile:

Paul,
Something I noticed in your sideview, at the bottom of the squat your back is getting rounded. Work on increasing flexibility of your hamstrings and strengthing your hip flexors. Imagine you are trying to squeeze something in the crease of your hip at the bottom of the squat. This will keep your hips pulled forward and prevent rounding in your lower back.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Bryan Gates

Profile:

1) The rack pins are too high. Having to get on your toes to unrack the bar is a big no-no. The bar should rest about nipple level in the rack.

2) Your squishy shoes suck. Get something with a solid sole.

3) You could be shifting your weight forward to your toes at the bottom of the squat because it appears as if your heel is rising slightly but it is somewhat hard to tell since your shoes are squishy.

4) Knees continuously moving forward during the descent = crappy hip drive. You need a TUBOW.

5) I will second Robert's assertion that your depth is questionable. I didnt count a single rep on the side view. From the back view it looks like you are pushing your knees out in line with your toes so its probably just a flexibility issue.

6) Straighten your wrists. You are supporting the bar with your back, not your hands. Your hands just help keep the bar from falling backwards off of your traps/delts.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M. Smith View Post
Your letters:

B) His depth is fine.

C) If he drives with his hips without a corresponding movement with the bar and his chest, he'll end up with the bar out in front of his center of gravity and he'll get a minor GMing effect.
His depth is close. A few look good a few look a little high but it is a little hard to tell. I recommended shooting for slightly lower so that the depth would be consistent, not a ton 2 inches, 1 may even be enough though.

As to your comment on hip drive I do not think you understand the concept. I agree that if you shoot your butt up while keeping the bar in place you will end up being bent over at the waist with straight legs and the weight way out in front and be forced into doing a good morning to stand up. This is not what is meant by hip drive.

A proper hip drive occurs when you drive from your sacrum (top of the butt) out of the hole. As you are driving from the hips your shoulders and back (and in turn the bar) move up at the same speed. Thus your back angle with the ground stays the same for the entire squat until you are at the top. In these squats he is lifting his chest too early causing his hamstrings to shorten and removing their contribution to the lift. This not only makes it harder but also creates an imbalance of forces on either side of the knee.

Let me know if that does not make sense?

-Robert