CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:
What's the protocol on working out when fighting a cold/bug?

Developed a nice little drip middle of this week and just feel "under the weather". Went for a 3.5 mile trail run on rest day yesterday and found myself walking more than I wanted to. Not b/c I was out of breath...but just didn't have the gas in the tank on the longer uphill climbs. Felt weird. Today was more of the same and the WOD this afternoon just felt **** poor.

I figure this is b/c my body is fighting something. So, is there some type of rule when you may be doing more damage (prolonging poor health) than good when working out and fighting allergies/cold?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:
Re: What's the protocol on working out when fighting a cold/bug?

I listen to my body as much as possible. If the gas tank is low due to illness, I step off the gas. I've had pretty good success with that. You're not going to gain (nor lose) that much by taking a couple of days off.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Scott Kraatz

Profile:

My rule of thumb has always been: If it's in the head, go ahead. If it's in the chest, take a rest.

A few days off is not so bad. If you're light headed it might not be a good idea to do too much with weight overhead.

Not feeling to well, work on mobility or skills.

Hope you feel better.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Willis Holder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Ruwet View Post
Developed a nice little drip middle of this week and just feel "under the weather". Went for a 3.5 mile trail run on rest day yesterday and found myself walking more than I wanted to. Not b/c I was out of breath...but just didn't have the gas in the tank on the longer uphill climbs. Felt weird. Today was more of the same and the WOD this afternoon just felt **** poor.

I figure this is b/c my body is fighting something. So, is there some type of rule when you may be doing more damage (prolonging poor health) than good when working out and fighting allergies/cold?
Your session isn't going to be very (if at all) productive. And you may prolong the duration of the cold. It looks like a lose/lose. I'd rest.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kraatz View Post
My rule of thumb has always been: If it's in the head, go ahead. If it's in the chest, take a rest.
That's my rule of thumb as well.

And I always violate it.

And I always regret it.

- Mark
Old 06-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
David Hansen

Profile:

My protocol is pretty simple. No metcons, but strength or skill work is just fine.

Metcons always make respiratory infections worse, but I've never had a strength session hurt me.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Keep your germs at home. Ick.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Brett Benes

Profile:

If I'm starting to get a cold I'll take a few days off. Last time I did a WOD just as I was coming down with a cold it destroyed my immune system, I was sick for over a week (longest I've ever been sick). Just as Jamie mentioned as well, do you want to risk getting everyone at your box sick?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Valarie Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Ruwet View Post
Developed a nice little drip middle of this week and just feel "under the weather". Went for a 3.5 mile trail run on rest day yesterday and found myself walking more than I wanted to. /snip/ I figure this is b/c my body is fighting something.
We often get sick because we simply dont listen to the body; choosing to ignore the signs that lead to symptoms that lead to full blown on-your-back and feeling awful.

Best to rest, to give the body an opportunity todo what it does best .. right itself. And while your at it, give it a hand .. do those things that you have learned that the body requires to return to health.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Joshua Ruwet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kraatz View Post
My rule of thumb has always been: If it's in the head, go ahead. If it's in the chest, take a rest..
This "rule of thumb" was my reason for the OP. Not sure where I remembered hearing something similar.

As far as preventing the spread of a bug to others at your box...you need to know what you have to determine best prevention. I work in the field, so I'm pretty in-line with not doing anything that I think would contaminate another individual. There's something to be said for erring on the side of safety.

In any case, I think at this point in my life I'll just lay off a few days to heal up before heading back. Worked for me this last time, and I can't say I feel like I lost all that much ground.