CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:
Heavier than Sand for Sandbags?

Is there anything anyone can recommend that I can fill sandbags with that is more heavy than sand?

I'm starting to run out of capacity and need to increase the weight somehow.

I've heard about steel and lead shot being used (not sure on prices or vendors). Anything else?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Lee Hoy

Profile:
Re: Heavier than Sand for Sandbags?

Probably be expensive but there are pie weights that people put to help bake crust they are small and heavy. Ball bearings? marbles, etc?

Think small and heavy without puncturing the bag!!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
James Napier

Profile:

I thought about going to a bunch of tire stores and ask them if I can have any scrap balancing lead that they removed from older tires.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
James Napier

Profile:

Just had another idea, what about snow chains, seems a lot of people have them in the trunk just waiting for a good excuse to use them (except here in the Phoenix desert). How much could they weigh? A temporary solution until you need to go back into the snow, don't forget to put them back in the trunk in the winter.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

I knew I'd find something if I looked in the right places:

From Rob Shaul @ Mountain Athlete (wfs - http://www.mtnathlete.com/subpage_de...=139&page_ID=9)

Quote:
Concerning our sandbags - you are right. We use basic army duffle bags, which I found online through an Army Surplus store for about $12/each. I buy the smallest ones offered.

Some are filled with landscaping bark and gravel. Some have rock salt and gravel. Others (light ones) are filled with old climbing ropes. Most recently we've been trying wood pellets (for pellet stoves) for filler.

Finding filler is much more difficult than you might think. Even though we buy the smalled duffle bags we can, gravel is too heavy for these relatively large bags, so we need some lighter "filler" material to take up space (hence landscaping bark).

I'm thinking the wood pellets will be the best filler found so far.

For the most part, the duffle bags work great. But they aren't perfect. They are porrus, and eventually, the dust from the gravel/bark/salt/pellets starts billowing it out whenever we set them down. Also - they get small holes in them, which allow the dust to come out.

Generally, we put the filler material in trash compactor bags before placing them in the duffle bags, and this works for a while to stop the dust, but eventually, even the heavy trash compactor bags get holes.

Anyway, eventually we have to unpack the duffles, and re-package the filler in the trash compactor bags. Someday I need to get some old feed bags for the filler - I figure these will be tougher than the trash compactor bags, and last longer.
And I do remember seeing a photo of Dan John bear-hug carrying a 100 lbs bag of rock salt (while pulling a sled in the snow no less!).
Old 08-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
Richard Borneman

Profile:

Google zircon or chromite sand. It weighs twice as much as common play sand. Expensive though, over a dollar a pound. Lead shot is around the same price right now. It's available at a reloading friendly gun store near you.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Borneman View Post
Google zircon or chromite sand. It weighs twice as much as common play sand. Expensive though, over a dollar a pound. Lead shot is around the same price right now. It's available at a reloading friendly gun store near you.
Aw, shoot (no pun intended). For a buck a pound, I might as well find a way to hide plates and an oly bar at the office. The search continues...although the old chains idea that James mentioned sounds doable. Just have to be even more careful with the explosive movements like cleans and snatches since the load is never quite balanced with odd objects.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
Roger Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Napier View Post
I thought about going to a bunch of tire stores and ask them if I can have any scrap balancing lead that they removed from older tires.

This is what you want. Drive there in a nice car (so they don't think your going to sell it as scrap) and tell them what you need it for. They will either give it to you, or sell it cheap. Everything else I can think of is going to cost you a lot more...
Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

Yea, and I'm pretty sure the whole idea behind the wood pellets was finding something that was not too heavy but would fill the bag up. If you're running out of capacity with sand you must be using some really small bags. I just made some sandbags for rugby training and I used pea gravel and mulch mixed together for the same reasoning as the wood pellets. I bought the same bags as Rob, but if you filled one completely with pea gravel, or sand for that matter, you'd have a +300# bag and not much you can do with that.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Adam Lauver

Profile:

cement