CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
Matt Garman

Profile:
Pullup bar/ring mount in apartment hallway?

I have one of those doorway pullup bars that is effectively a stronger, shorter shower curtain: you put it in the door frame, twist, and the bar gets longer. This works acceptably for pullups. However, my apartment has tall ceilings (nine, maybe ten feet), so I'm trying to figure out a way to use that height for gymnastic ring mounts.

There is a short hallway in our apartment, probably about five feet wide.

What I was thinking is that I could use the same concept as the doorway pullup bar I have. My rough plan is to horizontally mount lengths of 2x4 (or maybe even 4x4) on both sides of the hall. Then I would find something similar to the shower curtain rod/chinup bar to stretch across the width of the hallway, pressing outward against the 2x4s.

The idea is that the 2x4s will be long and strong enough to distribute the force of the outward-pushing bar across multiple wall studs. (Clearly, if I tried to do this without spreading the load, the bar would damage the drywall.)

So, two questions: (1) does this seem like a reasonable idea? has anyone ever done anything like this? And (2) if so, where can I get the kind of rod I'm talking about? I'm wondering if there's some kind of ratcheting system made to friction fit across an expanse that wide? or maybe I could just use a couple pieces of threaded steel pipe to build my own "shower curtain rod"?

Thanks!
Matt
Old 09-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Jacek S. Janczewski

Profile:
Re: Pullup bar/ring mount in apartment hallway?

Matt,

I built something similar to the pull-up bar described here:
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenand...odyweight.html

I used a 1-1/4 inch bar as the main cross bar. This setup is rock-solid, easily supports my weight (~205) and can be mounted/removed from the door frame in seconds. I highly recommend building one of these if you need a pull-up bar solution.

If you'd like, I could try to post some pics.

Hope this helps!

-J
Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Matt Garman

Profile:

Hi Jacek,

Thanks for the suggestion. That link is pretty interesting; lots of good ideas.

However, I already have a pullup bar in my door frame. It's not like the one you describe, but it works.

What I want to do is mount a pullup bar higher than the top of the door frame. I've got nine or 10 foot ceilings in my apartment, and the top of the door frame is only seven feet or so.

In other words, none of the door frame ideas work, because they end up being too close to the ground.

So what I'm thinking about is trying to create/mount something that spans the width of a hall in my apartment. The idea is similar to how a shower curtain works: push outward against both walls in the hallway. This way I can mount the pullup bar closer to the ceiling.

Thanks again!
Matt

Last edited by Matt Garman; 09-10-2008 at 06:32 AM..
Old 09-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
Jacek S. Janczewski

Profile:

Ah gotcha. Sorry I didn't read your post thoroughly. Can't offer any advice there, but good luck.

I struggle with the height issue as well in my door frame setup. I'm 6'4 and the bar is way too low to do any advanced stuff like kipping or bar muscle-ups. Nevertheless, its still affective for pull-ups and ring work (again, not including muscle-ups). Hope you find a good solution to this problem!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Matt Garman

Profile:

I whipped up this picture of my idea:

http://raw-sewage.net/images/RingMount.png

Ignoring my lack of computer drawing skills, the idea is for the bar to push outward against the 2x4s. The intent of the 2x4s is to distribute the force of the bar across multiple wall studs.

Obviously nothing is to scale in the picture
Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Will Nuse

Profile:

Since I don't remember much of structural engineering anymore anyway, and I don't have any info on the type of pipe you'll be using, I'd say, off hand, that your idea will work IF you include a vertical piece in the middle to keep the bar from flexing too much, AND fasten the ends to the 2x4s through the use of flanges and lag screws, if nothing else. Five feet is too wide to have no support in the middle. The more flex you get in the bar, the more moment will be felt by the flanges, and the more force will be applied to the screws at the top of those flanges in an outward direction. If you include the top piece, though, there's going to be a dramatic reduction in the amount of flex and forces applied to the fasteners, which are what will fail quicker than anything else.

Last edited by Will Nuse; 09-10-2008 at 09:10 AM..
Old 09-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Keith Stevens

Profile:

Matt,
As long as you can anchor the 2x4's into studs you should be stable. I think you would be better off cutting a groove into each 2x4(maybe use 2x6 and cut it down and back), and using a solid 1" pipe. You can go to HD or Lowes and they will cut the pipe to length for you.
Better yet you could 1" groove the top and cover it with another piece of 2x4. You just don't want the bar the be able to slide or jump.
Good luck and post pics when you're finished.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
Keith Stevens

Profile:

I didn't see Will's reply. I think his idea sounds good, especially the support brace in the middle.
Will, how would you measure the pipe to fit the flanges? It seems like you would have to tighten one side very snug, then fit the other side and loosen the first to find middle ground. Or are you talking about two separate pipes connected in the middle?

Matt,
If you have the access and can brace the planks in the ceiling, hang the bar from there make it a 3' bar attached to the flanges instead.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
Henry Miller

Profile:

This depends on your apartment. Some buildings use steel studs, and these will not hold up. If you have wood studs you will be fine, but steel studs will bend long before you get enough pressure on the bar to hold it up.

Fortunatly wood is a lot more common, so this is rarely a problem. It is something to watch for.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
Matt Garman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Miller View Post
This depends on your apartment. Some buildings use steel studs, and these will not hold up. If you have wood studs you will be fine, but steel studs will bend long before you get enough pressure on the bar to hold it up.

Fortunatly wood is a lot more common, so this is rarely a problem. It is something to watch for.
Is there a way to tell if the studs are steel or wood? I'm on the top floor of a five-story building... whenever I see similar buildings going up around here (northwest Chicago suburbs) it seems like they are built with steel framing.

Sounds like wood-versus-steel can make or break this idea!

Thanks again!