CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
Neal Winkler

Profile:
What kind of sword would you use in the case of a zombie invasion, and why?

I'm asking because I don't know if a katana or a Conan claymore would be better. I don't think I'm strong enough for a claymore anyway though.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
Jason Steele

Profile:
the 12 gauge variety...
Old 04-20-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Motion Macivor

Profile:
I would deffinetly go for a katana over a claymore. your arms would get tired from all that decapitatin'. The claymore would probably cut a zombie in half better but we all know how much trouble a half zombie can cause when your not looking.

Tabata zombie decapitations. Post to coments.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
Kemal Eren

Profile:
This thread will probably end up in the bucket.

Anways, I'm thinking something more along the lines of a falchion or backsword. A greatsword like a claymore would be great for hacking off body parts (stabbing or slashing zombies would probably be ineffective) but it would be too unweildy for dealing with overwhelming number of zombies. Katanas would be easier to maneuver, but they might be too light for the necessary chopping power.

A falchion, on the other hand, is short enough to weild in close combat, and will also provide the power to chop through limbs. It's a one-handed sword with a thick, heavy tip that resembles a long cleaver. The extra weight at the end puts alot of power behind the blow.

From http://www.historicalweapons.com/swo...ggersterm.html :

Falchion - a single-edged, heavy-bladed sword, usually widening noticably towards the tip. A form of sword that was little more than a meat cleaver, possibly even a simple kitchen and barnyard tool adopted for war.The falchion was used throughout the Middle Ages, predominantly by foot soldiers, but occassionally as a side-arm for mounted knights. More common in the Renaissance, it was considered a weapon to be proficient with in addition to the sword. The falchion appeared in several forms, but mostly all forms have a single edge and rounded point or "clipped" point. This wide, heavy blade was weighted more towards the point, and could deliver tremendous blows, making it ideal for combating heavy armours.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Yeah, I think your right besides the katana should decapitate well enough since the integrity of the zombies is already comprimised, being that they are decaying and all.

Jason, that's all well and good for the time being, but guns run out of bullets eventually. You need to be thinking long term here.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
Joseph Hart

Profile:
But what about the heads pulling themselves around by thier tongues and chewing on your ankles? Get a good clawhammer (straight claw) to squish the head. Chop and pop! Thats the ticket.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Interesting Kemel, I'll have to check one of those out. But you don't think the katana is strong enough for hacking zombies? They're decaying matter shouldn't offer as much resistance as a living specimen, so I don't know. I'll have to do some digging and find out what kinds of consistencies katana's can cut through.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
Kemal Eren

Profile:
Neal, I'm pretty sure katanas are more of a cutting than a chopping weapon. You'd be going though alot of bone for a katana to deal with, I think. I guess it all depends on how decayed the zombies are - if they were decayed enough for cutting, I'd definitely go with the katana. If not, I stand by my selection.

Except Joseph, you bring up an interesting point. Blunt trauma might be just the thing to avoid limbs that keep moving. A claw hammer might be a bit short, though. I wouldn't want those things so close to me. Perhaps a mace or maul of some kind?

Old 04-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #9
Motion Macivor

Profile:
I suppose the source of the zombie invasion should be considered before an ideal choice can be made.

If they're coming from a morgue you might need a heavier sword, as they will not have begun to decompose yet, and rigormortis will make the re-animated flesh that much harder to cleave.

Zombies from a graveyard may be so decomposed that broom handle is all that is necessary.

Worst case scenario would be in a crowded enclosed area filled with people. Like a stadium. fresh corpses multiplying at an exponential rate. In this case I think the only viable option is to turn lawnmower upside down and start swinging.

A scythe, machete, or axe could all come in handy, but if I had my way I'd choose a light saber.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Some sort of short polearm. A nagimaki would have tremendous cutting power, a bit more of range but not too disadvantageous in length.
I first thought of an old-school scythe that Louis in an Interview of a Vampire but is just takes too much distance in those zombie hordes.
Perhaps one of those russian utility shovels. Enough mass similar to an axe ( I would again say this would be good but axeheads are not long enough ) to facilitate chopping through but still short enough to wield.

You'd get mighty tired swinging around Jody Samson's Conan sword at 8 pounds. And I doubt it would have enough mass to efficiently chop through zombie mass.

12 guage always seems to work well in most zombie movies. Getting an automatic shotgun with cylinder is probably the way to go unless you start getting into the world of vibroblades and lightsabers and carbon filament cables.