CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
In the starting out section someone posted about superhero in trg. Following similar thinking, who's your heroes.

Mine:

Steve Prefontaine
The Crazy Canucks
Tom Warren
Mark Weir
Old 02-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Rafael Mattei

Profile:
the guys and gals that kick down doors along side me, guys like Eugene, that are aout there doing it every day, guys like Peter (with the Colosus Avatar) that are Fire fighters, and put their lives at risk, the guys and gals on the other side of the world keeping our freedoms "free", the girls of CF (Kelly, Annie, Lynne...who can kick our A$$$ in most WODS, yet do it humbly), guys like Mark Twight From GymJones, cause he's got the right attititude, and guys and gals like Coach and Lauren that love what they do so much that they wont take any crap about it....and give it to us for free.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
Oops. Only listed the sport one's.

Military:

1 CanPara
British Commandos WWII to present
Canadian Parachute companies present
SAS

Also my Grandad because of who he was. He only said he was a simple engineer during the war for the British, he was a Scot. From what little I could get him to admit, he was part of the section that kept the airfield functioning for the RAF. I know there is more, I could see it in his eyes but he never said much else.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
James Hall

Profile:
Any one in the military, specifically my Old Man (USMC) hoorah!!! But you know what? Any one of us who raise a family, work hard, put up with each other's crap and don't take any off other people. Those are my heroes!
Funny story...tonight I'm watching Madagascar with the kiddoes...oldest (14) goes into the fridge, grabs a can and asks "Can I eat this?" "Sure!" I say. 2 seconds later he realizes it's cat food and is still about to barf 3 hours later. Great family moments are what life's about. This is a true lifetime family moment!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Thanks for the mention, Rafael, you honor and flatter me. My heroes are those men and women who serve along with me in my fire department. Also, people like my brother, who is a narcotics officer that continues to fight to keep drug selling scumbags off the streets. People like my uncles, cousins and nephews who serve in the military who keep our country strong and sovereign. Doctors and nurses, who take care of us when we are on our last leg. Teachers who continue to educated the next generation of great leaders, and the people like the ones I have met hear on the CF discussion boards that go out of their way to share a wealth of valuable information to everyone interested in bettering their lives. Not only does exercise better your life physically, it betters it mentally and spiritually I feel. But that is just my own personal assessment. I like superheroes as an ideology. People who are boys and girls scouts, taking on insurmountable odds and still rise to the top and become victorious. Having spider powers, flying abilities, immeasurable strength, and cosmic powers helps a little. But in essence, it is the human spirit to endeavor that I look at and celebrate in those silly books. It is that spirit that exists in all of us and drives us to press on to greater heights. That’s the spirit that I admire in people who step out of their lives to help, assist and better other peoples lives in whatever way they can. Wow, let me get off my soap box before I fall and hurt myself. Thanks for the thread Chris, it’s a good one.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Peter Queen

Profile:
I feel ya James. 85% of my relatives that I mentioned above are former and current marines. Get Some!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
There are so many people we can put in this category, from the men and women in our armed services, the people in emergency services and law enforcement who I work with, to "average" people we have known. Here are some who come to mind:

My Dad - Immigrant, tough, humble, hard-working, quiet, loyal and the strongest moral courage I have been priveleged to witness.

My wife's Uncle, Howard Colwell-USMC. Fought through the Pacific theater and Korea. Came back and raised a family, but helped innumerable people in his community, from the young men in his Exploreer post to fellow vets. He and a group of VFW buddies had a 2 acre vegetable garden they would plant, and would give away free vegetables all summer to the needy. Active in his Methodist church, his famiily, his community. Howard passed away this fall from liver cancer. A life well lived.

2 I've just read about:

Frank Hamer - Because he caught those 2 cop-killer scum in 3 months when the Bureau had been chasing them for 3 years. Git r done!

MSGT. Roy P. Benavidez - read the story. Che Hombre!

Best,

DanO
Old 02-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
Barry Cooper

Profile:
My favorite part of any of the superhero movies was when Peter Parker, AS Peter Parker, (in Spiderman 2) runs into that burning building without his powers. There are many people in this world who combine both decency and love, with action. Those are heroes.

I have felt at times like a log adrift in an endless ocean banging against sharp rocks at the bottom of an endless cliff. It hurts every time a wave rolls in. I know that at any time I can give in to the relative comfort of emotional numbness, but I refuse.

It seems to me that cops must have this feeling when they bust someone the 5th time for the same thing. Doctors who deliver 5 crack-addicted babies from the same mother. Soldiers who clear an area out only to have it full of bad guys a week later. Lawyers forced by procedural constraints into at best an approximation of justice. Honest and dedicated Child Protective Service workers who simply cannot work enough hours in a day to keep up with their loads. Nurses in Terminal Wards.

Some of my heroes, like Churchill, are fortunate enough to be recognized for what they do. But anyone with the courage to "fail" over and over, with only a sense of honor and decency to sustain them, is a hero in my book. The meaning of a task, in my considered view, is within the task itself. It is putting yourself voluntarily in a position to do good, and doing your best to achieve it, regardless of the outcome.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Peter Queen

Profile:
Great words Barry, great words.

Sidebar: I also liked that part in Spiderman 2.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Sports stars of course! Just kidding...I was watching a basketball game this weekend and a guy hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer to force overtime. The announcer commented no less than 3 times about this guy's "late game heroics". And I found myself actually somewhat ****ed, saying "That's not heroics. That's a game!"

Heroes are people like Larry Lindenman, Eugene Allen and his SWAT buddies, and the rest of our LEO and firefighter companions on here, not to mention the non-CF public service folks. And let's not forget our military heroes. Heroes are the people that ran into New Orleans while everyone else was evacuating afterwards....those selfless people that came WITHOUT a camera crew to capture their "heroic deeds".

Parents and stepparents, including all 4 of my own. Raising a respectful, respectable man or woman is as important a job as any listed. Stepfathers/mothers: any man/woman that can help raise someone else's kids as well as mine have gets my respect.

Teachers - a thankless job. Underpaid and overworked, these people are the reason anyone has the possibility to make millions of dollars.