CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #2011
Todd Crawford

Profile:
Re: Heard in the Office Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
He's talking about Courtney Brown. #1 pick in NFL draft. Combine Numbers: 4.52 40, 37 vert. jump, 26 reps @ 225

And Joe Hamilton. Georgia Tech QB. Runner up in Heisman race. NFL draft pick.

The odd thing is that Brown is 6'4 ~280 and Hamilton is 5'10 ~ 190. He says he weighed 150 when he trained with these guys. But nobody changed weight during a workout? "We didn't swap out weights." What? Nobody had a particular strength? Why would everyone do the same weight given the drastic difference in body size and presumably proportions?
He IS 280, he IS 190 - they weren't. Courtney was in 10th grade - he was +/- 180#, he was less than 220 when he graduated high school. Joe was a Junior and weighed 160#. Come on, you don't think these guys play high school ball at the same weight that they play in the pros do you? So there was max 30# difference in our weight at the time.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #2012
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
He's talking about Courtney Brown. #1 pick in NFL draft. Combine Numbers: 4.52 40, 37 vert. jump, 26 reps @ 225

And Joe Hamilton. Georgia Tech QB. Runner up in Heisman race. NFL draft pick.
i was talking about the 480 for sets of 5 he stated doing in high school. i went to school with a guy that later played D1 football and was drafted by the TB Bucs. he was a lineman about 6'5 and pushing 300 lbs and he was using 500 lbs as his work sets on squats which people would just stare at. that's why it was hard for me to get my mind around a guy 150 lbs doing nearly the same weight on his work sets, in high school, as a young teenager. who knows though, probably possible so i'll just take his word on it.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #2013
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
that's why it was hard for me to get my mind around a guy 150 lbs doing nearly the same weight on his work sets, in high school, as a young teenager. who knows though, probably possible so i'll just take his word on it.
It is hard to get your head around because it is a lie. Again, he is claiming to squat 210% of BW for 45 reps. That is a lie. Not only that, he did these reps as part of this cycle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Crawford View Post
21-15-9

Backsquat
Pullup
Clean & Jerk
Bench
Rack Pull

My back squat weight for my sets this morning was 335 lbs.
That's ridiculous. Just to keep the cycle proportionate the C&J would have to be over 100kg, the rack pull around 5bills, and the bench in the high 2's.

Again, it is embarrassing.

oh and just as a point of reference, Stronglifts - a pretty good site - ranked the top 10 squat efforts of all time. They rank a 20 rep squat. It was 400lbs by Jesse Marunde. (and for the record, he is 300lbs). He, much like Todd, did these as part of a circuit. But he only did pullups and power cleans. And nowhere near the reps Todd is talking about. Congrats Todd! Film the workout and I am sure Stronglifts will bump you to the top!

Last edited by adam adkins; 07-12-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #2014
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Just so I'm not misleading here - the 480# was the high weight set for 4 reps. We worked up to 480 beginning with a 285# set, then back down to a 225# set. It looked something like this. (If I remember correctly)

285# - 4 reps

315# - 4 reps

405# - 4 reps

480# - 4 reps

315# - 6 reps

225# - 8-10 reps

That was the highest I ever got. I'm sure those guys went on to higher numbers.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #2015
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Just so I'm not misleading here - the 480# was the high weight set for 4 reps. We worked up to 480 beginning with a 285# set, then back down to a 225# set. It looked something like this. (If I remember correctly)

285# - 4 reps

315# - 4 reps

405# - 4 reps

480# - 4 reps

315# - 6 reps

225# - 8-10 reps

I don't have a problem with the 480. It is most likely a lie but at least it is not an offensive one. The 45 reps @210% as part of a cycle is offensive. It is embarrassing. And it makes me sad.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #2016
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Tom Platz, 500 pound squat for 23 reps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjtVvYk1HWw (video WFS, no guarantee on the sound, didn't watch with the volume up)

Here is a guy doing 23 reps with 500 pounds. Would a total of 45 reps at 335# be completely out of the question? And where is Tom Platz on the Stronglifts website?

I'm not siding with anyone here. I believe that what Todd is saying is plausible, but would also love to see the video for pure motivational reasons. Seeing someone knock out 335# for reps without difficulty would be amazing to watch.

Also, for what it's worth on the 2x bodyweight thing, my training buddy (currently living in NZ) was squatting 300#+ at a bodyweight of 140~150. I think he hit a 1 RM of 318-ish at a weight of just above 150. And that's without much prior training or using a strict LP to get there.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #2017
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Tom Platz, 500 pound squat for 23 reps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjtVvYk1HWw (video WFS, no guarantee on the sound, didn't watch with the volume up)

Here is a guy doing 23 reps with 500 pounds. Would a total of 45 reps at 335# be completely out of the question? And where is Tom Platz on the Stronglifts website?

I'm not siding with anyone here. I believe that what Todd is saying is plausible, but would also love to see the video for pure motivational reasons. Seeing someone knock out 335# for reps without difficulty would be amazing to watch.

Also, for what it's worth on the 2x bodyweight thing, my training buddy (currently living in NZ) was squatting 300#+ at a bodyweight of 140~150. I think he hit a 1 RM of 318-ish at a weight of just above 150. And that's without much prior training or using a strict LP to get there.
So let me get this straight:

1) Because an elite level bodybuilder, the man nicknamed "Quadzilla", once did just under 200%(apx) of his body weight for 23 reps it is not out of the question that some random dude is doing 210% for 45 reps in a circuit workout?

and

2) Because you know a dude who's 1RM is apx 200% of his body weight it is reasonable that someone could do 210% 45 times.

This is lunacy. It is like the ing inmates are running the asylum around here.

This guy is lying. That's it. There are no sides to take.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #2018
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

People in this thread need to calm down. Crawford's reported numbers are very high, but they are NOT completely out of the realm of plausibility. I know for a fact that there are a few people out there who are capable of the feats that he claims, so I can't justify saying that he couldn't possibly be one of them. I'm not saying there's no reason to be skeptical, and I'd definitely like to see video (especially wish there were video of the 480x5, because high school football players have notoriously bad depth), but claiming that he couldn't possibly be telling the truth is just silly.

P.S. Mr. Adkins, what are your PR numbers?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 AM   #2019
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Quote:

285# - 4 reps

315# - 4 reps

405# - 4 reps

480# - 4 reps

315# - 6 reps

225# - 8-10 reps

A video would really help you're case. But then again, who cares. I have no idea why anyone is upset or angry by what you have said. Whether or not you could squat more than Jesus has no effect on my or anyone's life.

Quote:
So let me get this straight:

1) Because an elite level bodybuilder, the man nicknamed "Quadzilla", once did just under 200%(apx) of his body weight for 23 reps it is not out of the question that some random dude is doing 210% for 45 reps in a circuit workout?

and

2) Because you know a dude who's 1RM is apx 200% of his body weight it is reasonable that someone could do 210% 45 times.

This is lunacy. It is like the ing inmates are running the asylum around here.

This guy is lying. That's it. There are no sides to take.
You're taking this a little too seriously. Stop talking.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:04 AM   #2020
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
A video would really help you're case. But then again, who cares. I have no idea why anyone is upset or angry by what you have said. Whether or not you could squat more than Jesus has no effect on my or anyone's life.

You're taking this a little too seriously. Stop talking.
I would ruin Jesus in a squat-off.