CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #2001
adam adkins

Profile:
Re: Heard in the Office Today

Sure, the fact that you and an undersized QB (all of 5'10) went pound for pound with Courtney Brown seems impressive. But SI claims the gym both Hamilton and Brown worked out in in high school was so run down that the entire gym only had 325lbs total. Oops.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #2002
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Sure, the fact that you and an undersized QB (all of 5'10) went pound for pound with Courtney Brown seems impressive. But SI claims the gym both worked out in in high school was so run down that the entire gym only had 325lbs total. Oops.
SI lies....
Old 07-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #2003
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Crawford View Post
SI lies....
I am pretty sure someone else is too.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #2004
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
I am pretty sure someone else is too.
Whatever make you feel better....
Old 07-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #2005
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Busted.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #2006
Todd Crawford

Profile:

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol2no23joe.html

Quote:
In the back room at Kinlaw's, between the bar and pool table, sits a weight bench that looks like it was salvaged from a condemned YMCA. The padding is coming out, the legs are rusting and everything is held together by roll after roll of electrical tape. You wouldn't think it could support a teenage boy, much less a grown man jacking up 350 pounds. But 15 years ago, this was about the only thing that could handle Rodney Kinlaw.

The chiseled 6'3", 230-pound running back had literally outgrown Macedonia's small weight room. He'd gotten bored of loading every corroded plate in the joint -- all 325 pounds -- onto the bar, and pressing out 10 reps. Eventually, he lifted himself out of Alvin. An opposing coach who had watched the powerback blast through his team for over 200 yards called the South Carolina State coaches up in Orangeburg -- 70 miles to the west -- and said they'd be fools not to grab him.

But Kinlaw claims politics kept him from busting through at the I-AA school. ("Wrong situation at the wrong time.") Because he was used only sparingly, he often saw more action in the postgame locker room when his 10-year-old brother Courtney, the youngest of Ervin Brown's five children, received his lesson on the finer points of pass rushing. Spin moves, rip moves; Kinlaw was amazed at how quickly the kid picked things up.

Rodney's own career stalled despite what locals say was an eye-popping 1987 performance for NFL scouts at a combine in Atlanta. "He benched 225 38 times, ran a 4.42 and weighed 235," recalls Tommie Lee. "He was incredible." But Alvin's first great football prospect wound up playing two minor league seasons with the Charlotte Blast before taking a job as a welder. Heartbroken, he decided to channel his passion into Courtney, first through those technique drills, then on that rickety bench in the barber shop. When Brown's body caught up to his feet, those sandlot games looked very different. "All of a sudden, Courtney was chasing everybody down," says Tommie Lee. "He was unstoppable."
Rodney was Courtney's older brother - he was in the NFL combine in 1987. I was 11 years old. That would have put him graduating high school in 1983. I would have been 7. I can't say what the weight room looked like then. That was not the same era.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #2007
adam adkins

Profile:

Honestly man, I am embarrassed for you. I just don't get why a 35yr old man would just lie. I just doesn't make sense.

Maybe you trained with the Macedonia 3. Good for you. Maybe you put up great numbers and good for you. But why just outright lie? It is embarrassing.

As for the squat numbers, it seems like you don't understand enough to know why your numbers are so off base. John McCallum wrote the original 20 rep squat program - or at least the american version. He recommended going to the extreme in weight to really push growth potential. Most thought McCallum's recommendation was unobtainable and shot for numbers significantly lower (I believe IronMind did a 100lbs over BW challenge a few years ago).

McCallums recommendation was 150% of BW.

Let that set in for a second. On one hand you have one of the hardest goals to accomplish (20 reps @ 150%) penned by one of the most respected minds in the iron game and on the other you have a random middle-aged dude claiming to easily do 210% for 45 reps in a circuit.

Sad. Or embarrassing. Or both.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #2008
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

I'm enjoying these zings. Todd, shut these fools up with some video! I believe!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #2009
Michael Dowling

Profile:

todd maybe you did do it, i never call people out like this and honestly i'm a little embarrassed for doing it. the only reason i did was because the numbers seemed other-worldly. i only saw one guy in high school put up the weight you mentioned (a touch more) and he went on to play D1 football and play pro-football for the TB Bucs, he was also 6'5 and 300 lbs.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #2010
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
todd maybe you did do it, i never call people out like this and honestly i'm a little embarrassed for doing it. the only reason i did was because the numbers seemed other-worldly. i only saw one guy in high school put up the weight you mentioned (a touch more) and he went on to play D1 football and play pro-football for the TB Bucs, he was also 6'5 and 300 lbs.
He's talking about Courtney Brown. #1 pick in NFL draft. Combine Numbers: 4.52 40, 37 vert. jump, 26 reps @ 225

And Joe Hamilton. Georgia Tech QB. Runner up in Heisman race. NFL draft pick.

The odd thing is that Brown is 6'4 ~280 and Hamilton is 5'10 ~ 190. He says he weighed 150 when he trained with these guys. But nobody changed weight during a workout? "We didn't swap out weights." What? Nobody had a particular strength? Why would everyone do the same weight given the drastic difference in body size and presumably proportions?