CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-12-2011, 04:42 AM   #1991
Todd Crawford

Profile:
Re: Heard in the Office Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
in high school you were 150 lbs working out with 480 lbs on 4 rep sets? i have a really really hard time believing that. just because it is the internet and that would be incredibly rare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Nichols View Post
At first I couldn't believe it. Then I remembered this was posted in Stuff and Nonsense...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
i concur, i am sorry if I just don't believe it.
I find it much harder to believe that there are adult men who squat with any regularity that are not pushing at least 2X BW - but believe whatever makes you feel better about where you're at.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #1992
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Crawford View Post
I find it much harder to believe that there are adult men who squat with any regularity that are not pushing at least 2X BW - but believe whatever makes you feel better about where you're at.
i only said something because i went to high school and worked out with a guy who went on to play D1 football and later professional football and he was a solid 100 lbs more than you and he was working out with about 500 lbs for work sets on his squats. being 150 lbs, 16 years old and squatting 480 for 4 reps is pretty incredible, you have to understand our skepticism.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #1993
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
If it counts for anything, its listed in the level IV (elite) section of all those spreadsheets floating around along with 2.5x deadlift, 1.5x bench, 1x press, 5 minute mile etc.

So if everyone someone knows is at 'elite' level, then I guess it just depends on who you associate with / ignore.
Someone who can squat 2xBW and run a 5 minute mile is a scary person.

Todd, you can put an end to this disbelief by letting us see some of this impressive weightlifting you're boasting. Gettin' called out!

Last edited by Matthew Swartz; 07-12-2011 at 05:52 AM..
Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #1994
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
In the grand scheme of things, all that matters is the number 42... I think I need to change my set and rep schemes.

Also, Matthew Swartz is a troll with a bad sense of humour, just going from what I've seen of him so far. Either that or he truly believes that something that's just under double my bodyweight is a small number for a back squat, and if a double BW back squat is small to him, I eagerly await his 600# back squat clip.
Little more than half-way there. I'm on the exponential progression strength program, so it will be a matter of days before I get up to that 600# from my current 405PR. http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68380&page=2 WFS (last link)
Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #1995
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Funny how on a message board touting a program that "Forges Elite Fitness" we become skepital when someone's numbers are higher than most of the general population.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #1996
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Funny how on a message board touting a program that "Forges Elite Fitness" we become skepital when someone's numbers are higher than most of the general population.
Skepticism sets in when someone says stuff like, "back in high school I was back squatting houses and weighed 65lbs," with no stats, log, or video to back it up.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #1997
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
Skepticism sets in when someone says stuff like, "back in high school I was back squatting houses and weighed 65lbs," with no stats, log, or video to back it up.
Yeah >3x BW squats for reps? Not impossible but very unlikely is all...
Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #1998
Todd Crawford

Profile:

I worked out with one guy that ended up being a #1 draft pick in the NFL and another that was runner up for the Heisman. We didn't swap out weights. When it was you turn you did the work. The three of us ended up being strong as hell, spurred on mostly by the guy that ended up being the #1 draft pick. He was the youngest of the three of us, and neither one of us would let him out do us. Competition is a strong driving force. Sorry I didn't video myself 17 years ago to satify your skepticism.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #1999
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
I worked out with one guy that ended up being a #1 draft pick in the NFL and another that was runner up for the Heisman. We didn't swap out weights. When it was you turn you did the work. The three of us ended up being strong as hell, spurred on mostly by the guy that ended up being the #1 draft pick. He was the youngest of the three of us, and neither one of us would let him out do us. Competition is a strong driving force. Sorry I didn't video myself 17 years ago to satify your skepticism.
As you should be, although a video now of you doing 400+ for 1 rep would suffice.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #2000
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Hence I repeat the question that everyone's claiming to know but won't give numbers: what percentage of adult males can squat (below parallel) 2x bodyweight.

Now, if you want it as a subsection of people who "actually train", I'll assume there's an unspoken agreement on what that means.

Anyway, to be fair, I'm sure on Beyond the Whiteboard there's good data on adult males and their numbers. That at least accounts not just for people that "actually train" but also train with crossfit in mind. Of course I don't have a membership on that site so I can't look.
The post for Max Effort Back Squat on Beyondthewhiteboard has this for males:

sample size: 1712 | mean: 284.25 lbs | median: 280 lbs | standard deviation: 64.6867 lbs

Females:
sample size: 633 | mean: 157.335 lbs | median: 155 lbs | standard deviation: 39.4981 lbs

It doesn't say what percentage of bodyweight that is. But unless these male crossfitters are only 140lbs on average I doubt many of those are double bodyweight.

And of course "training with crossfit in mind" means their strength numbers are going to be low compared to a powerlifter/oly/strongman athlete.

My back squat of 385# puts me in the 94th percentile at 1.944xBW and I've only been seriously back squatting for a year to a year and a half. And I'm heavy. The average crossfitter is probably 20lbs lighter than me and should have an easier time getting a 2xBW squat.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier; 07-12-2011 at 10:35 AM..