CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #1971
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: Heard in the Office Today

you did a 21-15-9 workout with a squat that was more than 2x bodyweight? What was the workout? And where's the video? I would love to see someone bang out reps easily at that kind of weight. I couldn't imagine doing a 21-15-9 with 1.5x bodyweight, which would land me around 300 pounds.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #1972
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
you did a 21-15-9 workout with a squat that was more than 2x bodyweight? What was the workout? And where's the video? I would love to see someone bang out reps easily at that kind of weight. I couldn't imagine doing a 21-15-9 with 1.5x bodyweight, which would land me around 300 pounds.
It's a workout I programmed - I call it "Fran's Less Attractive Sister"

21-15-9

Backsquat
Pullup
Clean & Jerk
Bench
Rack Pull

I've never videoed a workout before, but 2X BW comes pretty easy for me. My lower body has always been strong. Next time it comes up, I'll try to remember to get some video for you. By the way, 2X BW for me is 320 lbs. My back squat weight for my sets this morning was 335 lbs.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #1973
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Dang... you did 45 reps total with 335 pounds? For time? That's very impressive. Especially with putting it together with C&J and rack pulls.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #1974
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Dang... you did 45 reps total with 335 pounds? For time? That's very impressive. Especially with putting it together with C&J and rack pulls.
For time? Not exactly - I do the reps for each exercise as a circuit in this workout. 2 minute rest in between each circuit. But yeah - same weight on each circuit for a total of 45 reps.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #1975
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
In the grand scheme of things, all that matters is the number 42... I think I need to change my set and rep schemes.

Also, Matthew Swartz is a troll with a bad sense of humour, just going from what I've seen of him so far. Either that or he truly believes that something that's just under double my bodyweight is a small number for a back squat, and if a double BW back squat is small to him, I eagerly await his 600# back squat clip.
I have a great sense of humor, thank you very much. Would a 2x BW BS for a set of 5 suffice?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #1976
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
In the grand scheme of things, all that matters is the number 42... I think I need to change my set and rep schemes.

Also, Matthew Swartz is a troll with a bad sense of humour, just going from what I've seen of him so far. Either that or he truly believes that something that's just under double my bodyweight is a small number for a back squat, and if a double BW back squat is small to him, I eagerly await his 600# back squat clip.
He does truly believe that's small. I've seen Matt hit a 2.4x squat. And I'm pretty sure I've seen him hit a 2x front squat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Katherine I dont know what kind of adult males you associate with (Powerlifters maybe??) A 200% bodyweight Squat is HUGE.

I am a personal trainer and have NEVER met anybody in my life with a 200% bodyweight squat. Not even somebody claiming a quater squat heavy enough to hit 200%. That is my next Huge Strength goal but see it taking me another 6 months to hit as i need to add 60 odd pounds to my current 1 RM. In fact over here for somebody to even hit a bodyweight squat is massive, mostly in part due to the attitude of why would I need legs when i am grinding on all the b****es at the club! is the normal response from most guys who i know
I don't know who you're training but a 2x bodyweight squat is not a huge squat at all.

Edit: you have to be a GD troll.

Last edited by Jakob Schmidt; 07-11-2011 at 09:48 AM..
Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #1977
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
He does truly believe that's small. I've seen Matt hit a 2.4x squat. And I'm pretty sure I've seen him hit a 2x front squat.

I don't know who you're training but a 2x bodyweight squat is not a huge squat at all.

aussie's are lacking in leg strength... seriously... aussies are weaker than you think (generalisation) we sometimes have kiwi's who flock to our awesome land call themselves aussies and squat 12 billion kilos.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #1978
Mike Hopper

Profile:

While a waiver would likely not prevent somebody from suing, it does make them think twice. Also, it does give the company an UP in that they let the potential customer know ahead of times the way things would be.

We also have signs posted around our facilities saying how they should work out with a partner, etc and if they have health conditions they should work out during our staffed hours, etc.

We have had our share of incidents occurring in the gym, but I've never heard anything negative come down about it. Our facilities also have AEDs available to our members as required by state law.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #1979
Ben Norris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post

Steve is correct. We Aussies dont seem to have the same amounts of strength that you guys seeem to have. In fact I only know a HANDFUL maybe 5 people with a 200% bodyweight DEADLIFT. I do not know what it is that causes us to be weaker than you but if you walk into a gym over here and squat 200% you are considered to be VERY Strong.

Troll? Come on mate look at my other posts, I am just telling you how it is in Australia, believe it or not we are differerent to Americans.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #1980
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Ok, I'll bite: What percentage of adult males have a 2x backsquat? Now, what amount will count as huge? I'm cool with anecdotal evidence here.
Well, the serious powerlifters I know are in the 2.5-3X range. 500-600# starts to be eye-catching.

Rip's much-maligned chart puts 2x bodyweight at between "intermediate" and "advanced" for males. FWIW, a 1x bodyweight squat for women is an equivalent accomplishment -- by that chart -- and I know quite a few women who can do that.

Katherine