CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #1961
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: Heard in the Office Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Israel Briskin View Post
It's pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
In the grand scheme of things, all that matters is the number 42... I think I need to change my set and rep schemes.

Also, Matthew Swartz is a troll with a bad sense of humour, just going from what I've seen of him so far. Either that or he truly believes that something that's just under double my bodyweight is a small number for a back squat, and if a double BW back squat is small to him, I eagerly await his 600# back squat clip.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #1962
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Also, Matthew Swartz is a troll with a bad sense of humour, just going from what I've seen of him so far. Either that or he truly believes that something that's just under double my bodyweight is a small number for a back squat, and if a double BW back squat is small to him, I eagerly await his 600# back squat clip.
Sorry, but no, a 2X bodyweight back squat is not particularly impressive for an adult male. I don't know if I'd call it "small," but it's certainly not large.

Katherine
Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 AM   #1963
Ben Norris

Profile:

Katherine I dont know what kind of adult males you associate with (Powerlifters maybe??) A 200% bodyweight Squat is HUGE.

I am a personal trainer and have NEVER met anybody in my life with a 200% bodyweight squat. Not even somebody claiming a quater squat heavy enough to hit 200%. That is my next Huge Strength goal but see it taking me another 6 months to hit as i need to add 60 odd pounds to my current 1 RM. In fact over here for somebody to even hit a bodyweight squat is massive, mostly in part due to the attitude of why would I need legs when i am grinding on all the b****es at the club! is the normal response from most guys who i know
Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 AM   #1964
Charlie A Nilsson

Profile:

Ben: a 2X BW Isn't huge at all.

My backsquats Is around 2.1X, far from reaching my limit at the moment and have meet people that have a huge backsquat at a globo.

I'm no powerlifter, crossfitting for 3+ years.

Btw bodyweight ~155#/70kg
Backsquat 150kg

I consider a 2X BW backsquat achievable for just about every one.
28/5.6/~150# DL: 419# BS: 330# Press: 155# "Mary" 16+2 "Angie" 15:29 "Murph" 34:15 "Fran" 3:42

Last edited by Charlie A Nilsson; 07-11-2011 at 03:57 AM..
Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 AM   #1965
Steve Bray

Profile:

i think if you do a quality back squat twice your bodyweight you should be happy with that, its not impressive compared to pro's but to average people who exercise its pretty impressive.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 07-11-2011, 04:32 AM   #1966
Adam Carlson

Profile:

I'm working towards the 2x BW squat. Don't have it yet, but I know it's doable. It just takes time and dedication to get there.

I am not going to be amazing an amazing strength athlete with a 2x bodyweight squat, but I do know that the increased strength and everything associated with it will be a huge help to daily life.

It's something that should be common for adult males, but too many of us haven't really done what we should have been doing, and that's why we don't have it yet.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #1967
Adam Carlson

Profile:

And Ben, regarding not having met anyone who has it:

I used to think that the name 'Adam' was one of the rarest, most unique names in the world. I had never met anyone with the name Adam in my life... while I was growing up in rural Japan. Then I went to the US for college, and there were a ton of Adams everywhere. I even roomed with one while I was at college.

Just because they don't happen to be around you doesn't mean that they aren't common.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #1968
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
And Ben, regarding not having met anyone who has it:

I used to think that the name 'Adam' was one of the rarest, most unique names in the world. I had never met anyone with the name Adam in my life... while I was growing up in rural Japan. Then I went to the US for college, and there were a ton of Adams everywhere. I even roomed with one while I was at college.

Just because they don't happen to be around you doesn't mean that they aren't common.
Ok, I'll bite: What percentage of adult males have a 2x backsquat? Now, what amount will count as huge? I'm cool with anecdotal evidence here.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #1969
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Ok, I'll bite: What percentage of adult males have a 2x backsquat? Now, what amount will count as huge? I'm cool with anecdotal evidence here.
I don't count 2X BW backsquat as huge. In high school I was working out with 480 lbs and I weighed 150 lbs. That was 4 rep set. We never maxed out. This morning I did 21-15-9 at more than 2X bodyweight.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #1970
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Crawford View Post
I don't count 2X BW backsquat as huge. In high school I was working out with 480 lbs and I weighed 150 lbs. That was 4 rep set. We never maxed out. This morning I did 21-15-9 at more than 2X bodyweight.
Wow. Unbelievable.