CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
John Jaeckel

Profile:
Re: What's the protocol on working out when fighting a cold/bug?

Look at the duration of a cold like an arc: as symptoms get progressively worse, it's arcing up, as they begin getting better, it's arcing down.

I typically wait to work out, at all until symptoms are getting noticeably better, especially where I don't feel tired, then I start light and ramp up as symptoms arc down.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #12
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Gowens View Post
Keep your germs at home. Ick.
If you coughing and sneezing all over the place I agree but the truth of the matter is you are often carrying what ever bug it is for many hours or days before you show symptoms so if you work out regularly you have probably already brought your germs to the gym.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
Joseph Pasciotty

Profile:

I listen to my body ... If I'm sick, overly lethargic , sore , or bad migraines or etc I take the day or more and rest hydrate and eat... Something I used to not do and my training would suffer ... I'd end up beiing forced to sit out and sit out longer because of it ... Now when I feel under the weather I'm usually back in a day or so depending on how sick I get and my lifts and other training don't suffer as much if at all now . I feel if my bodies way of letting me know it's time for a rest or that I might be overtraining.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Couple of observation from myself and my clients:

1) Sleep is so important. 8 hours of it. If said illness effects my ability to sleep 8 hours then no workout. Sick + lack of proper sleep = poor training & injury possibility.

2) I had two events happen at the same time so can't be 100% sure where to give credit. I started eating Paleo and had a lessoning of exposure to second hand smoke at work. Sense these two changes the length and severity of colds has decreased. Less workouts missed.

3) If I'm sleeping well enough and simple over the counter cold medicines work to suppress lingering or mild symptoms then workouts seem to be fine.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #15
Carlos Thomas

Profile:

I had the same problem last week. Some people feel that a light workout while your under the weather helps to knock it out, but personally I would hold off on the gym for a while, doing a workout while sick is just forcing your body to work even harder to get over whatever you have.