CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
adam adkins

Profile:
Re: Any point to bench press instead of military press?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bernardin View Post
if I were born in 30,000 BC, whatever exercise I would do to get food, survive.
Walk. Lot's of walking. The base of your fitness training.
Run. Sprint, jog. chase.
Climb. Scale boulders, rocks, trees.
Jump. Leap and bound.

That should do it. Add in some crawling, lots of sleep and napping and you should be good to go.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
Dan Graziano

Profile:

From a personal standpoint I used to have pretty solid BP numbers as a younger guy. Never hit the 405 mark but would could hit 365 for 6 sets of 2. I could rep 315 for 11 reps at 19 and had a 52" inch chest. However, I was 255-260 and although I was strong I was not anywhere near as functional as I am now. Even a year and half ago I couldn't OH Squat or standing press without arching the **** out of my back. Led to a lot of nagging minor injuries.

Since I have starting CF I am able to OH squat a very modest 135# for 10 reps and strict press 235lbs. I can snatch 225lbs which I would take over 400lb BP any day.

Point is I have developed some very minor elbow pain and in speaking to another affiliate owner locally here (former bodybuilder) he has the same issues. In discussion we talked about the lack of BP in WODs and as the culprit to weaker triceps. Also, heavy tricep movements such as skullcrushers and close grip BP we did as bodybuilders.

If I were you I would do what Aaron suggested in post #5 and keep both. I am starting to do that myself because the pain is increasing slightly. I think every case is different and some of us need additional strength training that what is normally prescribed in WODs. Eric has also made some great points too. Just don't eliminate everything, besides it makes you a more well rounded lifter.

Chicks dig a big chest too, that doesn't hurt
Old 06-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Quote:

Well I guess my goal would be to maximize my gains according to my genetics (similar to the paleo diet's philosophy). In other words, if I were born in 30,000 BC, whatever exercise I would do to get food, survive, etc I would like to repeat here in 2011. That way my body fits its genetic profile - and that's healthy. I just can't really picture a situation a situation that mimics a bench press, that occurs often at least.
Seriously? What Eric said. Plus, how can you struggle to contextualise the strength gains associated with BP? Have you never had to push anything? The movement in the gym is designed to increase strength, it doesn't have to mimic anything in order for that to have useful transfer to life.
I rate the SP highly but it will not make you as strong as the BP will. So, if you want to maximise your gains you need to BP. Oh, and strong pecs matter. Go deadlift a 500lb bar and tell me you don't need strongs pecs! Strength is a chain which will break at the weakest point.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
Jerry Blomberg

Profile:

More weight moved = more stimulus to grow more muscle. Not that the press is bad, important for balanced strength.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
Michael Langanke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Run. Sprint, jog. chase.
Jump. Leap and bound.

That should do it. Add in some crawling, lots of sleep and napping and you should be good to go.
Drag. Wife by the hair.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #16
John McCord

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Run. Sprint, jog. chase.
Jump. Leap and bound.

I would like to introduce the founder of PaleoFit. The workout program that requires no equipment, or facility, or even clothing.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #17
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Practically speaking, is there any point to bench press if I'm doing military press anyway? I heard that military press is way more practical than bench press. Just to be clear, I'm not doing crossfit atm, I'm doing an A/B starting-strength style workout. But instead of bench one day, press another, should I just press both days? I really don't care about big pecs, it's all about practicality for me.
Just for the record I am a fan of both lifts and feel they have equal importance in developing a balanced upper body, but I have a hard time believing the overhead press is more practical. I do a lot more pushing out in front of me than I do raising things overhead in day to day life. Im pushing doors doors open that are in front of me, pushing servers in and out of racks all day. Push the lawnmower/snowblower, cars stuck in the snow etc etc.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #18
Dan Graziano

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hotchkiss View Post
Just for the record I am a fan of both lifts and feel they have equal importance in developing a balanced upper body, but I have a hard time believing the overhead press is more practical. I do a lot more pushing out in front of me than I do raising things overhead in day to day life. Im pushing doors doors open that are in front of me, pushing servers in and out of racks all day. Push the lawnmower/snowblower, cars stuck in the snow etc etc.
Agreed to a certain extent, except the anterior delt, triceps and chest work synergistically nearly in every pushing lift. Pull a pec even slightly and you will find out, it sucks.

To your point of practical use I don't need a 300lb BP to push a lawnmower and I think I do more ground to overhead than anything else. Argument def valid though.

This is a good discussion
Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hotchkiss View Post
but I have a hard time believing the overhead press is more practical. I do a lot more pushing out in front of me than I do raising things overhead in day to day life.
i'm the same way, aside from lifting my son over my head to throw him in the pool i can't think of the last time i've ever actually lifted something overhead or needed to (besides a barbell when pressing of course). i also don't see how snatching is more practical or "functional". it's explosive and admittedly cool to see people do it well, but "functional"? i don't see it...

the chest is one of the larger muscle groups for a reason, because it developed that way do to use over hundreds of thousands of years.

Last edited by Michael Dowling; 06-07-2011 at 09:22 AM..
Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #20
Chris Walls

Profile:

Just remember that functional means it builds a functional capacity, not "directly imitates and emulates a real life movement".