CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Paul R Emmons

Profile:
Open video judging?

Wondering if the videos did ever get judged? I did email games support twice with no response. Bit disappointing if poor movements standards were to slip through the net.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Open video judging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Emmons View Post
Wondering if the videos did ever get judged? I did email games support twice with no response. Bit disappointing if poor movements standards were to slip through the net.
I judged alot of them. If you looked at them it showed a thumbsd up and down and what % of the judges thought. Now I don't know what happend from there, if someone threw them out and let them know to redo them.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Charles Applin

Profile:

There weren't too many video submissions to begin with. Therefore, the number of regional competitors that had videos would be a small amount. So, were there any in the top 60 of any region that you feel were not scored properly? If the answer's no, then it's a moot issue. If the answer's yes, e-mail CFHQ and the regional coordinator with your concern.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
There weren't too many video submissions to begin with. Therefore, the number of regional competitors that had videos would be a small amount. So, were there any in the top 60 of any region that you feel were not scored properly? If the answer's no, then it's a moot issue. If the answer's yes, e-mail CFHQ and the regional coordinator with your concern.
There were quite a few videos in the top 60 of various regions who simply did not follow the rules for video taping submissions and did not have a second person in them at all times. Also, many of those videos where "voted down" by the public yet still appear in the results. Im a little perplexed at how those folks are still showing in the top 60 for their region.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hotchkiss View Post
There were quite a few videos in the top 60 of various regions who simply did not follow the rules for video taping submissions and did not have a second person in them at all times. Also, many of those videos where "voted down" by the public yet still appear in the results. Im a little perplexed at how those folks are still showing in the top 60 for their region.
I'm not too concerned about the lack of a second person in the video. If that's the main concern you're voicing. I'm assuming the main reason for that is to quell any problems with the time presented.

As for the "voted down", that's not an automatic out. That's a way for CFHQ to zone in on problem childs. They reserve the right to say "no go" or even remove reps as they fit. Nothing in the competition agreement states they have to tell us their final decision.

Do you have a particular video you can highlight (link) where the standards are not met and that the actual score would remove them from regionals?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
I'm not too concerned about the lack of a second person in the video. If that's the main concern you're voicing. I'm assuming the main reason for that is to quell any problems with the time presented.
Its simply a matter of following the rules as presented by HQ, why have riules if your not going to hold people to them?

Quote:
Do you have a particular video you can highlight (link) where the standards are not met and that the actual score would remove them from regionals?
Please note, I just started at the top, clicked on a video and hit "next video" and here are a few where a majority voted the performance down (i didnt actually watch the video or vote).

all links WFS

http://games.crossfit.com/judge/323691 3rd in region

http://games.crossfit.com/judge/421582 51st in region

http://games.crossfit.com/judge/293623 12th in region

http://games.crossfit.com/judge/356414 60th in region
Old 05-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Charles Applin

Profile:

Larry,

I'll agree that there are reps in the videos not to standard. I also agree that given the tight competition in those regions that recounting the actual reps would likely put many if not all out of contention.

It's a moot point now, but worthy of continued discussion. Did CFHQ let all but the most blatant form violations pass without penalty? Seems that way, and actually, I doubt that any submissions had their reps penalized. Granted, CFHQ let themselves that option in the rules but did not bind themselves to it. It's possible they're thinking that such slop existed in equal form in the workouts of the 95% that performed at affiliates ie they're letting it slide this year.

Now here's a question that can be answered by actual data: will those with video submissions that had high ratio of "not quite right" perform below what their open ranking suggests? If there is still correlation, then perhaps all is well. If guys that had great open scores but sub par regional performance then that's a good indicator CFHQ better lock down on video submissions next year. Remember, all regions are doing the same wods so we have 1000 people to rack and stack which seems legitimate.

Granted, I'm hoping for correlation.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

I guess I kind of look at things this way. Someone at the bottom end of the top 60 for a region "likely" will not place high enough to go onto the games.

That being said if CFHQ's primary goal is finding the fittest, they wont necessarily waste time judging open videos knowing the wheat will get separated from the chaf at regionals and that goal will be met.

However, I would say that many athletes who took part in the open know they dont have a good chance to make it to the games BUT still would like a fair shot at putting regionals on their resume.

Coming out and setting standards of movement and rules for video submissions prior to the open (and even going so far as to let people vote on said videos) and then totally turning a blind eye to both of those points and letting people in to regionals I think does a great disservice to the competition as a whole.

Some could also argue that affiliate judging could be "loose" and I certainly wont argue that is highly possible and even probable BUT the difference is we dont have video proof of that. The question, and my beef, is simply there IS video proof of performance that is being totally ignored.