CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
Jason Halm

Profile:
Re: How maany times a week to train?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Your not even close to over training with that schedule. Unless, your horribly out of shape.
I'm a 19 year old male, been lifting on and off for a few years. 6:30 mile or so, >400 lb deadlift, >350 pound squat, >250 pound bench. So i'm not in the GREATEST shape, but I'm no sloth either. I workout three times a week, and sometimes THAT gives me problems.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
James Rios

Profile:

answer is ez.
train as much as you can while still making sure u recover enough. since recovery vary's from person to person its up to you. just dont be stupid about it check ur ego and you'll be fine.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
Daniel Sont

Profile:

Thanks All for the feedback.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hotchkiss View Post
May be not if he is 25 but what if he is 55? There are many factors that play into ones recovery.
I wasn't aware that many factors come into play when talking about ones recovery. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halm View Post
I'm a 19 year old male, been lifting on and off for a few years. 6:30 mile or so, >400 lb deadlift, >350 pound squat, >250 pound bench. So i'm not in the GREATEST shape, but I'm no sloth either. I workout three times a week, and sometimes THAT gives me problems.
Then maybe you need more rest days. You and the thread starter are not the same. You also probably don't follow CF correct? Heavy lifting a few times a week and doing CF a few time a week followed up with some cycling are very different things.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #15
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hotchkiss
May be not if he is 25 but what if he is 55? There are many factors that play into ones recovery. I wasn't aware that many factors come into play when talking about ones recovery. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
I wasn't aware that many factors come into play when talking about ones recovery. Thanks for clearing that up.
Yea, pretty silly of me pointing out the obvious to someone who clearly knows nothing about the original poster or his life yet knows emphatically that he is "not even close to over training".
Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #16
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

Quote:
... I think lious statement is just plain stupid.

Its like saying you cant overspend money only under save. At the end of the day you only have so much money at any given time just like you only have so much time to recover in any given period of time (ie week, month etc) for the workouts you subject yourself to in that same given time period.

um...i think perhaps the irony in louie's quote may have been overlooked...it's really saying the same thing, just louie's way is more clever....
Old 05-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Maddox View Post

um...i think perhaps the irony in louie's quote may have been overlooked...it's really saying the same thing, just louie's way is more clever....
As I pointed out, rhabdomyolosis (and for that matter, most cases of DOMS) have nothing to do with underresting, but rather is a cause of overtraining.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

I kind of think we are just arguing semantics.

You could have broken up your set of 1000 back extensions into 10 sets of 100 with 1 day "rest" in between sets. If you chose to do them straight through did you get rhabdo because you overtrained or under-rested?

I would have (should have)let it drop because it's not worth this much discussion, but I thought the comment was kind of clever and was surprised when everyone jumped on it...
Old 05-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #19
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Even without considering things such as rabdo I think lious statement is just plain stupid.

Its like saying you cant overspend money only under save. At the end of the day you only have so much money at any given time just like you only have so much time to recover in any given period of time (ie week, month etc) for the workouts you subject yourself to in that same given time period.
a bit of oversimplifying ....back in around 99 Louie did a two large articles in Long Strong Throwing Journal. In the articles apart from outlining his philosphy I counted at least 13 hours of structured work (including some tub work), now of that only two hours were max effort and two hours dynamic, the rest was GPP based.

What Louie may mean, if read in full context is that you simply can run out of the rehab, GPP and recovery and if you don't do enough of that then you overtrain...

from that ...someone who is very unfit (low GPP) could overtrain very easily. Someone with much higher GPP will tolerate much greater stress..
Old 05-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #20
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

I think you will be fine with that workout schedule. I go M,T,W,F,S taking off thurs and sunday. But you have to listen to your body. Some WODs may take longer to recover from then others. Sleep is extremely important and so is nutrition. A good diet, a multivitamin, Good sleep, and correct supplementation (protein,creatine,glutamine..ect) can go a long way in helping your body recover quicker. I can not over stress the importance of sleep and nutrition though.