CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #811
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Re: Seen in Public today

In fact I'll take the opportunity to share this little bit of info with you. We absolutely never have soda or any sugary drinks at home. We tell our oldest boy (now 4 years old) that it's bad for him. And it is. As we don't drink it ourselves we're not being hypocritical or anything, right? Anyways, we were at another boy's B-day party and someone, an adult, handed my boy a little Toy-Story cup of coca-cola. I was watching from a few feet away. As it was a B-day party and I'm not crazy, I was actually gonna allow him to take a few sips of that, I didn't say a word. Ya know, if he only has it at B-day parties it can't do much harm, right?... My boy looks at the cup's content and looks at the adult and says "I don't drink this!". It almost brought a tear to my eye. At this point I had to intervene and I got him some water in the same cup (He likes Toy Story stuff).

PS: I'm not crazy or neurotic and allowed him to eat whatever was at that party. Like I said I would even have allowed some coca-cola as parties are not so often right now. But I was just so happy he refused the soda without any of his parents being there to "forbid it".
Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #812
Steve Nelson

Profile:

^^^Had a similar experience at a party too....My line with my son (now 9) is to tell him that certain things make him "weak" and certain things make him "strong". Being that he wants to be the tallest, strongest, kid in his school and karate program, he of course wants to be "strong". I've been telling him this for many, many years. So, he boos whenever we pass a fast food joint, knows that soda sucks, etc. etc. He gets in arguments with his friends who eat that crap and tells them "you're weak! lets spar because you're going down.....!!!" when they drink soda. He's a great kid but has a very strong sense of himself.

so we are at a birthday party a few years ago when his mouth wasn't as "filtered" and he basically said what he felt. there are pitchers of drinks on the table. he goes for what he thinks is water. pours some, takes a sip, realizes its soda (sprite probably) and says in his loudest voice "dad, i can't drink this, its soda and soda makes you weak!"

my wife thinks (thought) i was crazy with all of this. but now its a good start on the drugs and alcohol and tobacco talks we will be having soon....and how harmful they are.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #813
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Sounds like you definitely have addressed in a realistic and age appropriate way, educating your child on making food choices, kudos Steve! I ran across an article (written by a crossfitter too) a few weeks back that talks about the same thing, really good stuff:
http://mainlineparent.com/2011/03/bu...ips-with-food/ (wfs)
Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #814
Seth Leaman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rooks View Post
This vegan group was trying to hand out "vegan ice cream sandwiches" as I walked into class today. I told them, "no thanks, I have incisors for a reason."
This made me think of this video I saw the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc8TrchWeO0 (wfs)

The comments are even better than the crappy song. I swear it was probably recorded at CU or downtown Boulder.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #815
Kim Thornton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Sounds like you definitely have addressed in a realistic and age appropriate way, educating your child on making food choices, kudos Steve! I ran across an article (written by a crossfitter too) a few weeks back that talks about the same thing, really good stuff:
http://mainlineparent.com/2011/03/bu...ips-with-food/ (wfs)
Great article, thanks for posting!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #816
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
This vegan group was trying to hand out "vegan ice cream sandwiches" as I walked into class today. I told them, "no thanks, I have incisors for a reason."
Hey now, it probably wasn't bad. Coconut Milk Ice Cream (see SO Delicious brand) is amazing and totally vegan.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #817
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Hey now, it probably wasn't bad. Coconut Milk Ice Cream (see SO Delicious brand) is amazing and totally vegan.
I'm sure it wasn't the worst thing you could put it in your mouth, but how could I miss the opportunity to question a group of pretentious vegans touting their health conscious lifestyle when their diet and exercise program consists of vegan cookies, hacky sack, slacklining, and smoking bowls in the courtyard.

They looked weaker than newborn kittens and smelled like pot, yet they wanted to tout their nutritional awareness?
22/6'1"/M/208lbs. log wfs BS 375lb / FS 295lb / DL 405lb / OHP 190lb / Push Press 225lb / C+J 225lbs / Snatch 175lbs / Bench 275lbs / 500m Row 1:21
Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #818
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
They looked weaker than newborn kittens.....

I will use this soon.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #819
Eddie Watts

Profile:

[QUOTE=Kim Thornton;920393]paraphrased:someone else thinking they have the right to tell you how to feed your kidsQUOTE]

be aware http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.p...-philadelphia/
could be coming to a school near you (WFS)
Old 03-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #820
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Something else you all may find interesting. A link posted on my friend's Facebook page: Kindergarten kids need gun licences WFS