CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #81
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
Re: You must eat this much to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Well at 6'2" and 205-210lbs, I'd call myself slender... not skinny like I was at 185lbs, but certainly not big. People still don't get out of my way when walking through crowded malls, so I am certainly not "big" yet.
At 6'2" and 180 (may be more now, haven't weighed in a while) I know that 200+ is an ideal weight for me. As an ectomorph I'm slowly clawing my way up that ladder. I do have a really small waist though (28-30 depending on the store, except all the pants they sell at that waist size have thigh width designed with a pre-teen girl in mind so I have to buy bigger just to get the pants past my legs, so belts are a necessity) which makes me lighter than the average guy my height. Still no excuse though, I know I need to weigh more.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #82
Marcus Allen

Profile:

At 5'10" barely, and 205-210. I'm just now comfortable with that build. I was a small guy in my younger years. At 18 I was 5'3 and about 135.

Its fun being a bigger guy. Although my lifts still sadly do not reflect my size. But I'm workin on it Johnny P. I promise!!

And... If Tamara tells you to eat more and lift heavier, you should just go ahead and do it, otherwise she's gonna kick your @ss.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #83
Christopher Paulson

Profile:

I only ask cause right now I'm 5'9 @ ~150-155# depending on my day. Originally I wanted to only 160# but now I'm considering pushing to 180 and then switching my diet to cleaner foods.

180# is pretty much my cap off. The Marine Corps won't allow me to go higher because of height and weight standards.

But for now I eatz everything. I lift everything. then eat moar!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #84
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
28-30 depending on the store...
An inch is an inch
Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #85
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Crawford View Post
An inch is an inch
And any relationship between the number on the label and the actual measurement of the garment is purely coincidental.

Katherine
Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #86
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Apparently you haven't heard about vanity sizing. Every band varies, even in men's proper "inch" measurements.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_709004.html (wfs)
Old 03-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #87
Luke Norian

Profile:

I generally agree with all of this. However, what I don't agree with is how some people think it's a golden rule to take in tons of healthy calories. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that 700 calories/day is severely deficient. However, for anything from 1,800-4,000+ calories/day, there's no golden rule. Some people want to be big and strong, so they eat very clean but they eat A LOT. Fine. There's nothing wrong with that. There's also nothing wrong with eating very clean and having a slight deficit. Goals vary. Gymnasts have the most strength per pound of body weight than any athlete in the world. It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that these same gymnasts aren't taking in 3,000 calories a day. Literally just google'd this a second ago and it's a great quick read (http://www.hollywoodbackwash.com/oly...alories-a-day/). Most of us aren't looking to compete in the Olympics for gymnastics but the point still remains. The majority of guys who are bulking and seeing awesome gains in there heavy lifts aren't able to pop out muscle ups, handstands, levers, and the like.

That's not to say those guys are doing the wrong thing. I'm just trying to be the voice of reason and say that everyone's different. People have different body types and different goals. Besides the obvious problems with doing things such as eating 700 calories a day, it really all depends. I think the most important thing to do is analyze your goals, your body type, and then listen closely to how your body responds, like Katherine said. The real goal is to find a point where you as a person are at 'homeostasis' - i.e. your body is healthy and your reaching your goals in a reasonable time AS WELL AS the fact that your eating style matches your lifestyle. I recently just posted in another thread saying that many people fail at holding a new eating routine because it's too demanding on their life's natural schedule (such as thinking about food 90% of the time and going crazy/stressing them self out making sure they're eating every 2-3 hours, 6-7 times a day, getting 3,000-4,000 calories).

EDIT: I'm almost positive that ancient humans of the paleolithic age, the same people who we model the Paleo diet after, didn't consistently eat every 2-3 hours, 6-7 times a day, and get 3,000-4,000 calories. These were active individuals who hunted and walked all the time. Are we more active today than they were back then? Perhaps some of us, but who knows. Just some food for thought.

Last edited by Luke Norian; 03-23-2011 at 11:24 AM..
Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #88
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Norian View Post
I generally agree with all of this. However, what I don't agree with is how some people think it's a golden rule to take in tons of healthy calories. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that 700 calories/day is severely deficient. However, for anything from 1,800-4,000+ calories/day, there's no golden rule. Some people want to be big and strong, so they eat very clean but they eat A LOT. Fine. There's nothing wrong with that. There's also nothing wrong with eating very clean and having a slight deficit. Goals vary. Gymnasts have the most strength per pound of body weight than any athlete in the world. It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that these same gymnasts aren't taking in 3,000 calories a day. Literally just google'd this a second ago and it's a great quick read (http://www.hollywoodbackwash.com/oly...alories-a-day/). Most of us aren't looking to compete in the Olympics for gymnastics but the point still remains. The majority of guys who are bulking and seeing awesome gains in there heavy lifts aren't able to pop out muscle ups, handstands, levers, and the like.

That's not to say those guys are doing the wrong thing. I'm just trying to be the voice of reason and say that everyone's different. People have different body types and different goals. Besides the obvious problems with doing things such as eating 700 calories a day, it really all depends. I think the most important thing to do is analyze your goals, your body type, and then listen closely to how your body responds, like Katherine said. The real goal is to find a point where you as a person are at 'homeostasis' - i.e. your body is healthy and your reaching your goals in a reasonable time AS WELL AS the fact that your eating style matches your lifestyle. I recently just posted in another thread saying that many people fail at holding a new eating routine because it's too demanding on their life's natural schedule (such as thinking about food 90% of the time and going crazy/stressing them self out making sure they're eating every 2-3 hours, 6-7 times a day, getting 3,000-4,000 calories).

EDIT: I'm almost positive that ancient humans of the paleolithic age, the same people who we model the Paleo diet after, didn't consistently eat every 2-3 hours, 6-7 times a day, and get 3,000-4,000 calories. These were active individuals who hunted and walked all the time. Are we more active today than they were back then? Perhaps some of us, but who knows. Just some food for thought.
No one said it's a golden rule to eat a ton, we are saying to eat to fuel your training and not try for some vanity goal when it will severely impact your performance and day-to-day functioning in general.

Nastia Liukin is 5'2 and 100lbs, so of course she is not going to require the same/more amount of calories as someone who is significantly heavier than her and works out intensely.

If it takes you 6-7 meals to get 3-4k calories you are doing something wrong, I had no problem getting in 3-3.5k in three meals when I was doing SS, and that's without milk.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #89
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Further along in the article you linked, we see the observation that eating disorders are quite common among female athletes and particularly gymnasts. So I'm not sure they're a great example of healthy eating, either.

Since I don't eat paleo, I'm not all that interested in what Paleo man did or didn't do. However, I doubt his caloric requirements are a good model for modern athletes. The activity profile is just too different.

I'm not sure where you're getting that 3,000-4,000 calorie number. It's not in my original post.

Katherine
Old 03-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #90
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Apparently you haven't heard about vanity sizing. Every band varies, even in men's proper "inch" measurements.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_709004.html (wfs)
Ha ha, oh I know alright. My actual waist measurement is 32" of tape. The fact remains though that when taken in context with how much I can squat, DL, clean, etc. I still have a pretty small waist. Especially since the margin for error tends to go up with pants size. So a 32" pant may actually be a 35 or 36. It's all lies I tell you!