CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-23-2011, 04:47 AM   #71
Scott A Martin

Profile:
Re: You must eat this much to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Magrini View Post
OK at the risk of throwing myself to the wolves.....what do you say to someone who has tried upping their calories of clean food (Paleo), works really hard, lifts heavy $hit, sleeps 8+ hrs a night and has only dropped .5-1%BF in 5 months. Just hypothetically?
I'd say it's time to move past the voodoo nutrition advice generally espoused on this messaged board. Eating less is the best way to loose weight.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:53 AM   #72
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
For a long time I had this desire of looking lean. I realized eventually (early 2009 I think) that I was just too skinny. 175ish at 5'10" but with "love handles". I was eating too little. No wonder I wasn't getting stronger.

I don't own a scale but today I weighed in at 202. My "love handles" are getting bigger (heh heh) but so is everything else. PR'ing in every lift I'm doing at the moment. I'm still pathetically weak compared to others but I'm at my strongest ever right now.... which happens to be stronger than Tamara !!! So yay for me !! LOL.

The good thing is I'm getting comments about getting bigger/stronger, not fatter, although I'm definitely packing on some fat. That's kindof motivating. But the biggest motivation is finally moving some more weight. Doing 5 reps in the DL with "3 plates a side" felt so darn good last week. No man should ever take this long to be able to move that weight. Of course, considering at a point in 2008 I ate 1500/cals a day (got down to 167) it's no wonder I was underperforming.

Long rant.... anyways, yeah, everyone should worry about getting strong first.... if you're 160 and looking to "lean out" while having a 95# pressand 255# DL 1RM... check your priorities! Loved this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
I began Starting Strength at 5'11 and 172. I had semi decent bodyweight strength from going gymnastic exercises via "Building the Gymnastic Body", but my absolute strength was lacking. My squat is still really low, but that was due to mobility issues, then form issues. It's slowly going back up now. But on all of my other lifts, my beginning max efforts are now either warm ups or working sets; the working sets are the ones scaled back due to form.

Now my weight is up to 192ish, and it's getting noticed at work. One of the other bouncers that used to work there stopped by after I had started the program. His comment to the other bouncers: "What are you feeding that guy?" Another guy, who I've seen every so often, saw me not too long ago. What did he say you ask? "You're buff. You're bigger every time I see you." My response: "Every time you see me I'm lifting more weight." Even the waitresses are noticing. It's nice to hear "You've definitely gotten bigger, in a good way." It made me smile.

Did I put on some fat during the program? Sure did. But no one is talking about how fat I got.

Something to think about to all of y'all, especially guys, that are afraid of putting on a little weight.
Everyone who has the goal of being "lean" should read these posts.

Priorities, people.

And, don't allow yourself to stay weak because your programming sucks. CHANGE IT.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #73
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

While I agree with all that has been said here regarding the Tracy Anderson diet let's not forget that obesity kills far more people every year than anorexia and for most people restricting calories is still the most effective way of losing weight.

Also I find it a little ironic that many of the people who are rightly condemning the Tracy Anderson diet as a dangerous fad diet likely to encourage anorexia adhere to a fad diet that encourages orthorexia themselves.

Last edited by Darryl Shaw; 03-23-2011 at 07:41 AM..
Old 03-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #74
Win Featherston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
While I agree with all that has been said here regarding the Tracy Anderson diet let's not forget that obesity kills far more people every year than anorexia and for most people restricting calories is still the most effective way of losing weight.

Also I find it a little ironic that many of the people who are rightly condemning the Tracy Anderson diet as a dangerous fad diet likely to encourage anorexia adhere to a fad diet that encourages orthorexia themselves.
...Zone?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #75
Jeffrey Liu

Profile:

I wasn't aware that eating enough for recovery from heavy lifts was a fad?

Most people on this board probably follow Zone and Paleo, are you talking about either one of those? (Genuine question)
Except maybe those who are on SS cycles doing GOMAD and eating in excess for the goal of gaining weight/mass.

To gain weight: Need excess calories.
To lose weight: Need calorie deficit.

Pretty common knowledge.

The main point made by Katherine (and many others) was that a person who is TRAINING needs to consume enough calories for recovery and for the body to continue making gains in said training. Obviously people who are working out harder need to consume more calories.

The secondary issues in this thread are primarily focusing on a 700 calorie diet being dangerously low, not arguing against the need for calorie restrictions for those who are obese and need to lose weight.

Tertiary issue?...the high-school/college mentality of guys wanting to get abz for teh ladiez and how ultimately that goal tends to backfire when you graduate from wanting to attract girls to wanting to attract women.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #76
Christopher Paulson

Profile:

This entire conversation begs me to ask a pretty obnoxious questions (which won't stop me from asking anyways).

What constitutes a solid weight for male at "X" height? "X" obviously being the variable here. I understand everyone is different ,as are their needs, but lets keep this in context of the average CrossFitter.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #77
Todd Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Paulson View Post
This entire conversation begs me to ask a pretty obnoxious questions (which won't stop me from asking anyways).

What constitutes a solid weight for male at "X" height? "X" obviously being the variable here. I understand everyone is different ,as are their needs, but lets keep this in context of the average CrossFitter.
there is no magic formula for this - someone once said "You must be able to carry the engine...."
Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #78
Chris Walls

Profile:

Well at 6'2" and 205-210lbs, I'd call myself slender... not skinny like I was at 185lbs, but certainly not big. People still don't get out of my way when walking through crowded malls, so I am certainly not "big" yet.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #79
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane Brunson View Post
I've started reading what I can and I'm going to talk to the nutritionist that works with the box I go to. I'm just trying to figure out if it's indicative of something else that it can sometimes be hours after working out before I have any desire to eat.
FWIW, I recently had an issue where eating after a lunchtime workout (1hr of ultimate frisbee) did NOT sit well with me. I tried various foods (meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, protein shakes) and nothing felt good. I discovered that I have to wait quite awhile before eating after that type of workout. Eating after doing weights or regular running, no problem. But that particular activity apparently makes my stomach a little...fragile.

Are you packing away a big meal the evening prior?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #80
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Maybe fruit is okay but heavier stuff like eggs isn't? Maybe a protein shake or a fruit smoothie with protein mixed in? But the big thing would be to make sure you're eating enough the rest of the day. If you're fine 30 minutes after a workout, but that falls in the middle of a class, then take your protein shake or whatever to class with you. (Beverages are generally less obtrusive than anything that requires chewing, but let local standards be your guide.)
Man... eggs + metcon = disaster. I try to separate my eggs all the way across the day from my workouts. Plus I don't really like them to begin with. I would agree though. I'm also in school and my workout schedule is subject to classes and labs. I find downing a shake post w/o to work well for me. Liquids are easy to get down. I also find organizing your workout a certain way to work well. After a metcon I always run a decently long cooldown period of 20-30 minutes of mobility work and general dinking around. After I get changed and leave then I'm plenty hungry. If I don't do my cooldown it's strange but it feels like I never fully bounce back from the workout, I'll be sweaty an feel off the rest of the day. Also, how much water do you drink? I find on days where I hydrate well I'm actually more hungry. I drink lots especially pre an post workout and that helps kick start my body into recover and rebuild mode. Don't remember where, but I know that drinking water is actually proven to rev metabolism; especially in the morning.