CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #1781
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Heard in the Office Today

Since my "office" is the classroom, I guess this qualifies:

Before my Social Problems class began today, my teacher saw the Crossfit sticker on my laptop and asked me some questions about it. At the end of the conversation he mentioned that he does powerlifting competitions and has a pretty good squat. After class, I asked him how much he squats and he said that at a competition in June he will be going for 450 with just a belt, and if he gets it it will be a record. I think my teacher is around fifty years old or so, I'm not sure. Cool fact, I never would have guessed that if he didn't tell me.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #1782
James A Stevens

Profile:

Me in the office staff room eating about 1/2 a kilo of cooked but still firm broccoli with butter, a raw carrot and cold chicken breast and enjoying it immensely.

Staff member says "Oh you poor thing having to eat that!"
Me "What, this? I love it!"
Staff member "That's the spirit, keep saying that and you will start to believe it."
Me 'But I do."
Staff member give me a look like I am eating bug casserole and walks away shaking her head.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:09 AM   #1783
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Stevens View Post
Me in the office staff room eating about 1/2 a kilo of cooked but still firm broccoli with butter, a raw carrot and cold chicken breast and enjoying it immensely.

Staff member says "Oh you poor thing having to eat that!"
Me "What, this? I love it!"
Staff member "That's the spirit, keep saying that and you will start to believe it."
Me 'But I do."
Staff member give me a look like I am eating bug casserole and walks away shaking her head.
I feel your pain! Coppers eat the worst muck in the world so I get constant comments about eating rabbit food, raw stuff etc.. We have a BBQ at work and people act like I've invented some crazy new idea whenever I buy a bit of fish or whatever and cook it up rather than going for a burger!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #1784
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Since my "office" is the classroom, I guess this qualifies:

Before my Social Problems class began today, my teacher saw the Crossfit sticker on my laptop and asked me some questions about it. At the end of the conversation he mentioned that he does powerlifting competitions and has a pretty good squat. After class, I asked him how much he squats and he said that at a competition in June he will be going for 450 with just a belt, and if he gets it it will be a record. I think my teacher is around fifty years old or so, I'm not sure. Cool fact, I never would have guessed that if he didn't tell me.
Lesson of the day.....don't judge a book by its cover! My old man could have outsprinted most 18yr olds when he was 50 and despite nearing 70 still cycles 50miles every Saturday on very hilly roads (he did anyway, until he broke his leg skiing in December)
Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #1785
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Gregory View Post
Lesson of the day.....don't judge a book by its cover! My old man could have outsprinted most 18yr olds when he was 50 and despite nearing 70 still cycles 50miles every Saturday on very hilly roads (he did anyway, until he broke his leg skiing in December)
Definitely. That's impressive about your Dad (minus the injury), it's good to see older people exercising and not writing it off due to their age.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #1786
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Stevens View Post
Yep true, but for some people that life is going to be short and uncomfortable, dealing with obesity, diabetes, medications, operations and ill-health.

I think I would rather live a longer fuller life where for example I can do an all day hike and see beautiful things that this guy would only see on TV.
very true.. its not the fact the we will all die ( i actually expect to be the first immortal and so far so good)
but how we go along lifes journey that matters. We all want to live long lives but may not but we can sure make the very best of each and every day and maintain the body that helps us do what we enjoy.. funny how most folks maintain their car with more respect and enthusiasm than they do their own bodies..

cheers

Helen
Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #1787
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

I work at a hospital and this is really more of an observation. I'm an X-ray tech and I thought when I got into this field that I would take tons of x-rays of crazy broken bones.

That it definitely not the case. Mostly it's x-rays of fat peoples knees and lower back.

Them: "I don't know why my knees and back hurt all the the time. I haven't done anything strenuous.
Me looking at a woman that easily weighs 350lbs: "it's a mystery to me, too. Your doctor will call you when he gets your x-rays."
Old 03-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #1788
Steve Nelson

Profile:

female co-worker at 5pm: "boy, i'm so dizzy today..."
me: "have you eaten recently?"
her: "today I had coffee and soda"
me: "hmm....not sure what the problem could be then"
Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #1789
Kim Thornton

Profile:

I guess I should be flattered that I was asked to participate in our city's Corporate Challenge competition (representing my company) in the weightlifting sport for my age and division. The follow-up to the request is what got me giggling:

"Since you're small, if you can JUST lift the bar (33lbs. for women), you'll probably score really well and even win" This was said with TOTAL ENTHUSIASM!

Unfortunately, the date of that event conflicts with something else and I will not be able to participate...dang it! There goes my chance to lift JUST the bar...
Old 03-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #1790
Todd Crawford

Profile: